Accuracy of calories burnt?

Options
Hey guys! I was just wondering how accurate MFP is with the exercises in its database? I know while running on the elliptical the calories are always less than what MFP says. I would just use the calories on the machine, but how do I know it is accurate for the circuit training or other exercises like that. Thanks for the help :)

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Some are good and others are WAY off. For cardio, your best option is a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. If you don't want to do that, I would suggest googling the activity calculators rather than trusting MFP values since they are user entered values.
  • emmi1716
    emmi1716 Posts: 2
    Options
    thank you!
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    think they are way too high
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Some are good and others are WAY off.

True. Elliptical is a good example. There's no variables for speed or resistance, so it's pretty much useless.
    ...since they are user entered values.

False. They're not user entered. You CAN enter your own, but you can't use an entry someone else posted.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I was just wondering how accurate MFP is with the exercises in its database? I know while running on the elliptical the calories are always less than what MFP says. I would just use the calories on the machine, but how do I know it is accurate for the circuit training or other exercises like that. Thanks for the help :)

Not very accurate at all. The calories on your machines are also terribly inaccurate. If you're not using a fairly nice HRM you may as well just guess.
  • Kalona388
    Kalona388 Posts: 82
    Options
    I go mostly off of machines or a heart rate monitor. I never go with the elliptical calories burned from mfp, it's way too high! As far as strength training, it seems to be more accurate, but I would definitely make sure to input all of your information into the cardio machines that you use to get a more accurate result.
  • womaninashoe6
    Options
    I agree that MFP is way off. I tried to not pay too much attention to the values until I got my HRM, but was still a bit shocked by how off they were. I think a HRM is your best bet.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Trial and error comes into play.

I've been here a year and a half, maintaining within about 5 pounds of my goal for about a year now, and using MFP estimates (and sometimes runkeeper or treadmill estimates, which are always pretty close to MFP for me) has worked just fine.

If it didn't work, I'd make adjustments. But you just have to try it out for yourself to see what works best for you. None of it is carved in stone and no errors you might make are irreparable.
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Good Question. I always go by the cardio machine I'm on. I hope it's right!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Some are good and others are WAY off.

True. Elliptical is a good example. There's no variables for speed or resistance, so it's pretty much useless.
    ...since they are user entered values.

False. They're not user entered. You CAN enter your own, but you can't use an entry someone else posted.

Really? How do you know that? Some of them are so blatantly wrong I thought it worked the same way food works.