Universal Studios

Options
Shugga66
Shugga66 Posts: 18 Member
So, I started MFP last week. It is actually helping me stay on track with my calories, but with the fat, protein, and carbs I am all over the place. I know I should care, but my first priority is getting my calories under control. With that said, we have a family vacation in a few weeks to Universal Studios and all of the Orlando attractions that comes with it.

Has anyone had any success or have any suggestions of how and what to eat when you are on vacation and you just know you will be eating out A LOT. Lay it on me, what you got :glasses:

Replies

• melonsss
    melonsss Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP. I am not sure of your location, but when I visited Orlando I ate mainly fruit for breakfast (tastes divine) and salad for lunch. The heat is quite oppressive so drinks lots of water. Stock up at walmart regardless of your type of accommodation. We were allowed to bring water and food into the parks which is a bonus because most of the quick food courts are really unhealthy. Also, most of the restaurants in Orlando seem to offer fast food type of food which is tasteless (i was surprised), so in the evening I tended to eat at a decent restaurant. I however became quite addicted to cinnamon buns at Universal Studios, so try and avoid if you are from UK because nothing in UK tastes as delicious. Avoid the " eat all you can for a few dollars" restaurants (we tried once and even I could not eat the pizzas!!!!).
    I hope you have a wonderful time and you will be really active walking around the parks and probably burn those calories. Orlando really is fab. Let me know how you did as I love hearing about Orlando.
  • Shugga66
    Options
    Thanks, and i totally didn't take into account that i get to add all that walking!
  • cazwillis99
    cazwillis99 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Last time I was in Orlando I wasn't following a diet and lost 4lbs - going again later this year and hoping for the same or better. All the walking really kicks in - I think we were doing 10 - 12 miles a day - you just don't notice it as much. I am so looking forward to my visit later this year ;-D
  • jchorgan
    jchorgan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    here at disneyworld right now!! We rented a townhome and that helped us tremendously with watching what we ate, as well as watching money! Do you have the opportunity to make a meal or two at the place you are staying? My suggestion would be to try to do that at least one to two meals per day. Drink as much water as you can, we brought the travel Brita and could fill them with water from fountains, etc. Also, I am uncertain about universal studios rules for bringing food onsite, but disneyworld let us bring in snacks, even packed lunches. Be careful not to pack anything too perishable, but turkey jerky and fruit are great healthy snacks. My biggest challenge was not drinking beer or margaritas, especially after a long, hot day at the park..... Another suggestion: is there a gym where you are staying? Maybe you could get up an hr earlier and go get some extra calorie burn before the day even begins...?? Have a great time!!
  • jooliem2001
    jooliem2001 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    We set our calories to "maintenance" and increased our activity level to active for the time we were on holiday to Universal Studios. We ate quite a lot but found that by having a late morning snack (pretzel or shared a cinnabon) then we could go until mid-afternoon before having lunch (that meant we missed the crowds at lunchtime) and then things like pizza or chicken and salad for evening meal. After 2 weeks in Orlando, I was pleased to have only gained 2 lbs!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Went to Universal Studios in January. One good thing about it is you will be doing A LOT of walking while you are there. I ate at a lot of crappy places and managed to unexpectedly lose the week I was there. That being said I did see that most of the bar and grill places did have salads available. I did order one, and it was huge so it filled me up. Forget the name of the place...basketball related. There are a lot of fancy once-in-a-lifetime places to go there to. Don't not eat just because you think one meal is going to kill you. Some of the places are worth it even if it did :P
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    eat smart. small meals, lots of water. enjoy the time in florida. dont worry to much. just make smart choices. plus tons of walking. you will be fine. just have fun.
  • Shugga66
    Options
    Ahhh, a nice cool drink by the pool. I will definitely try to get in a little work out, I am so determined this time around.
  • Shugga66
    Options
    Wow! That's great, only 2 lbs! Love it :love: