Strength Training; gaining 6lbs in 1 week Unintentionally?

Options
So after a month of "falling off the wagon" (but only gaining about 2lbs in the process), I got back on track about a week ago. I have been doing cardio anywhere from 30 minutes to 90 minutes, as well as weight training at least 30 minutes each day (focusing on different areas of the body, but mostly my back, shoulders, and legs; ie: dead left to shoulder press, weighted squats/lunges, weighted twist c's, free weight curls, free weight shoulders, lat pulldown, etc.)

I've been eating in my calorie range (even on my cheat day) of 1600 (some days a little less, but never a negative deficit - always shoot for at least 1200... usually i succeed in that). I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day - usually more. I did realize that my salt intake this week was a bit up there, but not enough to cause a ton of water weight gain (although probably some)...

Well, my weight shot up about 6lbs this week
I am assuming that it's from the weight training?
Has anyone encountered this high of a gain? I guess I expected 2-3lb gain with this, but not double that.

Should I increase my cardio and do a bit less strength training? Or just keep going?
Suggestions? Advice? Trying to get my hands on anything at this point. I'm slowly re-approaching the 200mark this week, which is creeping me out. And I have not measured yet... I'm sure it hasn't gone up (probably down)... but the scale is playing some pretty major mind games with me.

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Lower your cardio. Do strength 2-3 times a week. Eat a more than your BMR.

Retaining water is normal but I think you might be overtraining and under eating
  • melinda2308
    melinda2308 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My trainer said once you go past 30 minutes of controlled cardio, elliptical for me, you arent really burning alot of calories anyway. He switched me to more weight training as that increases your caloric burn while you are at resting rates. You burn more while you are at work and sleeping. Better for your joints also
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    So what do you guys suggest as a schedule? 2 days on, 1 day off ? ie: m/tu gym, w off, th/f gym, saturday off, su/mon gym,tuesday off, etc?

I went ahead and upped my caloric intake to 1700 which is a bit over my BMR.

Do you suggest 30 min cardio on my on days? prior i was doing mostly cardio and very little strength training, but lost over 20lbs doing so. getting back into this, it's much different. So I'm totally open to suggestions and what has worked for you.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Perso for me I do 3 days strength training M-W-F. And I run 2 times a week about 5k (35 minutes)

My strength training take about 45 minutes. It work well for me and my life. You might have to try different things to see what work for you
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    probably water weight.

I weight train for 3 times a week (30-40 minutes) and cardio 4-5 times a week. Usually 30 minutes, sometimes more if it is lower intensity.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I put on over 3.2kg (thats 7lbs) in one week from strength training, it was all water weight (I had very sore muscles), and it took 2wks to fully come back off again.
  • ChrisFitPro
    ChrisFitPro Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have no physiological basis/data for this, but I guess the damaged tissue could lead to swelling/water retention within the muscle. I suppose this could lead to some "weight gain" but idk about 6lbs. If you were dehydrated on day 1, and fully hydrated on day 8, then sure. I've had guys show 20+ lbs increase in LBM in 1 month. I doubt that there was really an increase in 20 SOLID lbs of muscle. All of the metrics we use are helpful, but flawed in their own way.

As far as the programming schedule, that is one of the truly crucial components of a program...

Not enough or too much rest? Err on the side of too much!

Always have your intense cardio days (if you have them) AFTER your leg training days, and never before.

Other than those starter tips, there is a lot that you have to decide based on your lifestyle, training goals, blah blah....
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    Options
    I have no physiological basis/data for this, but I guess the damaged tissue could lead to swelling/water retention within the muscle. I suppose this could lead to some "weight gain" but idk about 6lbs. If you were dehydrated on day 1, and fully hydrated on day 8, then sure. I've had guys show 20+ lbs increase in LBM in 1 month. I doubt that there was really an increase in 20 SOLID lbs of muscle. All of the metrics we use are helpful, but flawed in their own way.

As far as the programming schedule, that is one of the truly crucial components of a program...

Not enough or too much rest? Err on the side of too much!

Always have your intense cardio days (if you have them) AFTER your leg training days, and never before.

Other than those starter tips, there is a lot that you have to decide based on your lifestyle, training goals, blah blah....

Thank you!
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Solid muscle on a female is, on average, gained at just under 1lb per MONTH and a male can gain over 2lbs, in a strength and sports diet regime. Natural, without roids and supplements. Again, on average and as measured via water displacement test.

So to me, when I hear of the scale swinging like that I think water or waste removal.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    With a diet that is absolutely perfect and exercise that promotes muscle growth you will gain half pound at the most in muscle mass per week, the limits for both male and female are mentioned in the above post.

Could be water retention if you've increased your carbohydrates which is possible if you have added muscle mass.
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    Options
    Thank you guys! I think it was water weight. The scale dropped 5 today after a rest day and upping my calorie intake by another 200kcals. It might also be mixed with my upcoming TOM. Gotta love the human body!

You are are wonderful! Hope your week is going great!
    Getting ready to hit the gym!