At home workouts

Options
Does anybody else have at home workouts they do? I refuse to pay for a gym membership. I use 5 lb dumbbells but need to get some heavier ones. I also need to get a ball!

I wanted to share my Pinterest Health board for anybody who wants some quick workouts at home. My favorite is near the bottom, the Cardio/Strength Workout. I made a few changes to fit me though. I do 25 jacks, 50 kneehighs, 25 crunches (of different varieties from p90x ab ripper) and incorporate dumbbells in the squats and wall sit. I do two rounds, and it takes me 20-21 minutes. I don't know exactly how many calories it burns but I log it around 145-150

http://pinterest.com/kristibernstein/health/

Replies

• loztredders
    loztredders Posts: 142
    Options
    I do DVDs at home:
    Alternating between - 30 day shred, clubland - ultimate workout and Pump it up - Hi-Energy, also just do some toning exerises when I don't want to do cardio, i.e ab crunches, push-ups, tricep dips, and also getting some heavier weights for my bday in a few weeks so will up my game a little then!
  • sara8880
    sara8880 Posts: 2
    Options
    If you have an iphone, I HIGHLY recommend the Nike trainer app. It's free, first of all, and it has some great, cross-training, WOD-type circuits that require little equipment. You can set it to sync with whatever playlists you have on your iphone already. So, basically, you get to listen to music and then the "traininer" tells you when to switch excercises (piping in over your music). The workouts come in increments of 15, 30 or 45 minutes, and at levels (beginner, intermediate, and advanced). I work out pretty often, so I started with a 30 minute advanced circuit. I was drenched--a GREAT workout!
  • StatHaldol
    StatHaldol Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I do crunches, knee highs, toe touches. I also walk/jog twice a day. A couple of months ago I invested $50 in a set of BodyLastics resistance bands on Amazon and a heart rate monitor. The resistance bands are never going to give me huge biceps, but all I wanted was a workout to keep my heart rate in my target zone. It may not work for others but it's worked for me. Good luck!
  • shawn46106
    shawn46106 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i echo they nike training app. i use that some times as well. very good work out!

i have some equipment down stairs in my basement that i use, but other than that i do crunches while holding a medicine ball, and i do suitcases with the medicine ball, push-ups, wall sits, planks, mountain climbers, kick-outs, etc. i'll even do some shadow boxing with 8lb weights in my hands.

sometimes i'll just put on my HRM and do whatever comes to mind, and log it in as " Heinz 57 Cardio. " lol. got to keep it fun!
  • adsumodo
    adsumodo Posts: 38
    Options
    I started the Couch to 5K Program last week. It's awesome and I can see the difference already. I have the app on my iPod so it really helps.

I also have been doing Scooby's beginning dumbbell training:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/womens-beginning-dumbbell-workout/
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Try these:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BeFitin90

http://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender

There are also exercise apps for the Droid, and with a little bit of research, you can easily put together something yourself (there are lots of tips on NerdFitness.com).

I wasted money on a gym membership for over a year, and have gotten much better results working out in the comfort of my own home.
  • southernsweetie1978
    southernsweetie1978 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love working out to Leslie Sansone videos. One of the best ones of hers is 4 Fast Miles. I have also done some videos from Youtube's BeFit program. I have tried Kathy Smith but she was too fast for me. I rent exercising DVDs from Netflix or look in my local library.
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    From day one, I've worked ou at home in my living room with either weights or DVD's, mostly P90X. My weights consist of plates and a barbell. I do not own a bench, I made one out of a shop stool and a 1x12 board laid between the stool and my sofa. I just don't have room for a bench. Everything I use sits in the corner. I know I probably won't get the results that I might get with a gym membership, but I believe the difference is too small for me to worry about. I chose a very simple weight training program online that consists of 7 exercises of 4 sets each, mostly compound exercises which work whole body 3 days a week.. I supplement off days with 2-3 days of cardio. It's worked for me so far and I don't have any plans to change or stop.
    I believe consistency in training outweighs using expensive machines or environments. Just my 2 cents.
  • hellsbells999
    hellsbells999 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hiya
    I am the same as you I mainly work out at home because it is free!!
    I try to swap around a bit so I dont get bored, I have done enviga 30 minute bootcamp calorie burner from youtube, jillian micheals 30 day shred (part 1) from youtube, I have also got ministry of sound pump it up video, that is great fun and a hard workout.. as well as this today me and my huby tried our own version of circuits, using tabata timings(20 seconds hi intensuty, 10 second rest), that was an intense 20 minute workout!!! Going to try to do that at least once a week at home, then I do go to cuircuit training with the girls at work but that is free! I can't use weights all the time due to them irritating my RSI :-(
    There's so much free stuff on the internet and youtube that if you are dedicated enough to make yourself do something each day there is no need for the gym, or expensive equipment :-)
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I do work out videos. Jillian michaels 30 day shred, bob harper inside out method (all of them), kick boxing, zumba. Haven't done zumba in a while, come to think of it. maybe I will tonight.
  • klynnblink182
    klynnblink182 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! Glad I'm not the only one working out at home and refusing to pay a gym membership!
  • Caligirl_92
    Caligirl_92 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am smack dab in the middle of doing Insanity and have fallen in love!!! It goes by super quick but every week I'm like wow there's a definite difference in my body. For instance before i couldn't do a push up now i do it, in my personal opinion, flawlessly :blushing: Also can really feel my abs can't wait till they are showing, my collarbones are out, and this weeks change is i have great shoulders got super toned. Only one month to go and ill have finished round one:happy:
  • Littlemissjackie1
    Littlemissjackie1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love using youtube! Not only is it ultimately free but there are thousands of home friendly work outs so you can always get a great variety.
    Here are a few of my favorite youtube trainers:

http://youtu.be/K6015o3JqWM
    http://youtu.be/lsPbxb1UfCQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DYF0sLpFbQ

Enjoy! And happy loosing :wink:
  • matt_h76
    matt_h76 Posts: 39
    Options
    Hi I'm exactly the same. I refuse to pay gym memberships as they're so expensive over here in the UK. I bought a cheap bench and barbell and two dumbells and for the last 10 year's or so used that three times a week and have saved a fortune :) Still got the same old bench too. It should all last many years if looked after. I used to workout in my bedroom much to the annoyance of my wife as my bench took up half the bedroom space lol but since moving house I have moved it to my garage. If I wasn't sure on any exercises I'd research them on the internet or ask friends with experience. Good luck :)
  • liehs80
    liehs80 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    All of my workouts are home-based. I decided a long time ago rather than spend money for a gym membership I would use the money to purchase exercise equipment. The only new equipment I have ever purchased are free weights and a treadmill. Everything else came from yard/garage sales. Friends even give me their used or usually slightly used exercise equipment that they no longer want. So I have a pretty good set of workout equipment (bench, weights, nordic track, rowing machine, fixed bikes - recumbent and upright). During the past 15 years I have spent less than $700 for exercise expenses. The limitation can be space but using a spot in the basement works very well. Also the amount of time I have saved in just traveling to and from a gym translates into hundreds of hours that have been better utilized. So I'm sold on home workouts. And now with the net so many programs and good advice are available. Hang in there and make it work for you! It's a great approach. :smile: :smile:
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    All of my workouts are home-based, too. My husband and sons have a Wii for their games, but I use it for workouts. Every day I do a half hour with Wii My Fitness Coach. Each of my workouts has cardio and strength training and rotates between upper body, lower body, core and flexibility. I'm currently using 3 pound and 5 pound dumbells and a ball, and have 8 and 10 pound dumbells that I'm hopefully going to work up to soon. I also go for two 2 mile walks around my neighborhood each day. It sure beats paying for gym membership! Sometimes I'll also use my Richard Simmons workout videos, or even some of my old exercise lps from before there were videos!