photo's motivate or discourage

Options
I sit and look at my pictures and see muffin back with a pair of matching saddle bags(granted they are decreasing in size). why do pictures have to show every nasty detail? I guess in a way I am glad to sit and really look to see what others see that I normally don't notice. If I sit here and dis on myself I can only begin to imagine what others think when they see me.
What are your self image thoughts when you look at your transformation photos? Do they encourage you to want to continue to get more fit and healthier?
I know mine sure do!

Replies

• klabasik
    klabasik Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I keep a picture on my desk of me now, and one of me when I got out of the Army. Keeps me motivated! :)
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    I have a low self confidence level as is, so when I look at my old pictures it's not to see what everyone else saw with all my flaws but to see how far I've come. I look at my pictures only to say "You aren't her any more" or never going back. They keep me motivated not to go back to what I was, and show me how far I've come.
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Other people's photos motivate me giving me hope that it really can be done, but mine don't seem to help much so far. I did read about someone doing personal photos every 4 weeks so she could view her progress, so perhaps I need to give that a try instead, since others seem to be noticing the difference even if I am not.
  • holliph
    holliph Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Other people's photos motivate me giving me hope that it really can be done, but mine don't seem to help much so far. I did read about someone doing personal photos every 4 weeks so she could view her progress, so perhaps I need to give that a try instead, since others seem to be noticing the difference even if I am not.

yeah I am trying to do my photos every 15 to 30 days to see where I am at...cuz I don't really see it...I know the numbers are changing...B U T T...I just don't see it... LOL
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Pictures from the last year is one thing that encouraged me to get started on this weight loss. I never felt "fat" until I saw the evidence in pictures. I haven't had any pics taken since I started losing weight. We are going on vacation next week, so I am sure I will be in some pics, I can't wait to compare. And I can't wait to have "after" pics when I get down to my goal and see the whole transformation. I also like to look at old pics from before I got fat and that motivates me to get back there. My daughter recently looked at a pre-kids pic of me and said "Mom that dress makes you look skinny." Yeah, thanks, but it wasn't the dress. But I will get back in that damn dress.
  • Windy32
    Windy32 Posts: 54
    Options
    I hate pictures of myself. When ever I see ones people have posted on facebook my thought is always am I really that fat. But I also have my own personal photos I have started taking of myself and they are motivation. When I compare what I look like now compared to day 1 it helps me keep on track and not get discouraged because it is showing progress.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    It is important to remember that we are almost always our own worst critics. You look at pictures of yourself and critique every part of your body, others don't think that way about you.

We ALL have areas to improve on, some of us more than others - but we all see ourselves as imperfect creatures, it's only natural. If you have 'before' pictures view them with the current ones and it will help keep perspective. You can still be critical of what you have now but that will at least allow you to give yourself the credit you deserve for the progress you have made!
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I keep a before/after in my pictures and it really makes me mad/sad to look at it. I was embarrasingly out of shape.