Starting the C25K tomorrow!! Help??

Options
Hey!
Tomorrow I begin the couch to 5km program, and I'm feeling slightly anxious! Never before have I run, except maybe for a bus as a teenager! I'm just over 5 foot tall and currently weigh 168lbs, which is at least 50lbs more than I want to be, not looking forward to everything jiggling about!
I have done loads of walking in the past and still do anywhere between 5 - 10 miles a week. But running is new territory for me and I'm really quite nervous about being able to do it.
If anyone has any words of wisdom...hints or tips...advice in general?? I'd really appreciate it :-)
Thanks in anticipation!! xx

Replies

• scottishlass
    scottishlass Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When i first started running, i hated it, but the more i ran , i started to love it. The first 10 minutes of my run is not enjoyable but then you get into it and start enjoying it. Its the feeling after a run that makes me love it. But take it easy to start. Not sure what the c25k entails as i started at a running club for beginners. But if you follow it you will manage fine, don't try to overdo it, as this may result in injury, build your yourself and make sure you stretch after runs. Good luck x
  • vespertinestar
    Options
    I'm halfway through the c25k, it gets easier, add me if you want a fellow beginning jogger as a motivation partner :D

Matt
  • annadunn12
    annadunn12 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ahh thank you both! I'll send you a request Matt :-)

I really want to enjoy it, eventually, for all the positives it gives as well as being able to keep up with my kids! I've just downloaded the 9 week program to my ipod for guidance, just now trying to think of somewhere flat to start! x
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Go slowly. Repeat weeks as needed! I started it on March 2 and finished on June 2. I just completed my first 5K race where I was able to run the entire thing. It's an awesome victory. You can do it! I have NEVER been a runner. Ever.
  • Lam75
    Lam75 Posts: 72
    Options
    I downloaded c25k today as well and will give it a whirl tomorrow. I am similar weight/height to you so add me if you like, we can swap notes :o)
  • annadunn12
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Will keep mfp updated!! :-)
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've tried running a few times but always ended up with very sore legs by trying to go fast and run like the athletes you see in the Olympics (daft, I know). This time I've followed C25K to the letter, got some proper running shoes (Asics) and gone really slowly - basically just a bit faster than walking, almost a fast shuffle.

This video is really helpful for advice on form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q

When the podcast tells you to run I now lean forward like in the video and let my body propel me forward. Basically, keep your feet underneath you as you run and if you can see your feet you are stretching them too far forward, which will use up too much energy and could give you shin splints and sore knees.
  • couny79
    couny79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just did day 1 of c25k today and feel great! I really hope I can keep my motivation to continue!
    I haven't done much regular exercise for a long long time, and have never been a runner!
    Good luck!
    p.s. get yourself a good music playlist together 30mins long and think of a route that usually takes you about 40mins to walk, that should be a good place to start your run.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in April and just ran my first official 5K yesterday. I did end up speed walking some, the second half was uphill and it was 90+ degrees. All but the fastest runners at least walked some I think. I am happy with my time. I don't enjoy running, but like someone else said, I feel really good afterwards. It pretty much sucks the whole time I am running, but I know as soon as I am done I will feel good, so it gets me through. I have never been a runner, so it's all new for me. I am hoping it's easier when I lose this last 25 lbs.
  • marnet12
    marnet12 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Invest in yourself. Go to a shoe store that offers a free gait analysis. Usually they will film you walking barefoot on a treadmill for a couple of minutes They can tell if you pronate, supinate, have a low or high arch, etc. They will get you in the RIGHT shoe for you. Just because its a Nike, Addidas, or whatever does not mean it is the best for you. Trust me on this. The right shoe is worth its weight in gold.
  • skinny_bre
    skinny_bre Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm starting tomorrow too!
  • laneydawn
    laneydawn Posts: 64
    Options
    I did this program and struggled with it at the start as I wasn't sure how fast or slow I should be running. I started out running at too fast a pace,was always getting hurt and I just hated running. A friend of mine told me I needed to find my jogging pace, which is rated in beats per minute (BPM) Once I found my ideal pace, I went to jog.fm and found a bunch of songs that matched my jogging pace, and put them on my iphone. That helped immensly! Mine is between 148 - 153. The songs keep you on pace and make it much more enjoyable. Good luck!
  • TheJ_Net
    TheJ_Net Posts: 12
    Options
    I am not a runner by any means, I joke that I am allergic to running. But I just finished day 1 of c25k today and I feel great! Just make sure to not go too fast, I did my runs at a slow to medium jog. I'd recommend getting a kick butt playlist and really getting in to it. Feel free to add me and we can swap c25k stories. :) Good luck tomorrow!
  • SmugCanucksGal
    SmugCanucksGal Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first week of it! Day#3 was a bit easier for sure! BUT I'm scared to bump it up to the next level next time!
    Always looking for new friends and motivation
  • annadunn12
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    Thanks for all your replies :-)
    Well day one of C25K is done!! It was pretty hard going at first... think as a couple of you have said, that I was perhaps trying to run too fast. Will try jogging next time. I downloaded the podcasts by Robert Ullrey and they were fab, really kept me going. The new running shoes meant that my feet and legs feel great right now - don't know how I'll feel in the morning though! I really need to get past not wanting anyone to see me run, I felt really quite self conscious at times, but will get past this I hope.
    Best of all was the amazing buzz I felt afterwards :-) I don't know about becoming addicted to running, but I can certainly understand people getting addicted to the rush afterwards! I feel a productive day ahead!!
    Anna x
  • annadunn12
    Options
    Just finished my first week of it! Day#3 was a bit easier for sure! BUT I'm scared to bump it up to the next level next time!
    Always looking for new friends and motivation

I'll look extra forward to day 3 then :smile:
    Be interested to know how you get on next time! Good work you!
  • annadunn12
    Options
    I am not a runner by any means, I joke that I am allergic to running. But I just finished day 1 of c25k today and I feel great! Just make sure to not go too fast, I did my runs at a slow to medium jog. I'd recommend getting a kick butt playlist and really getting in to it. Feel free to add me and we can swap c25k stories. :) Good luck tomorrow!

Thanks for the good luck wishes! I survived :smile: looking forward to Weds now!
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    C25K TIP

If your start to struggle once your passed week 4 (normally week 5 is the killer) do week 1 day 1 again and you'll instantly see how much youve come on, I did as I did W1D1 with the wife last week and didn't break a sweat, it made me feel fantastic too as week 6 was a bit of a struggle for me.

Feel free to add me too, I now run 5k 2/3 times a week and only started C25K in February
  • annadunn12
    Options
    I've tried running a few times but always ended up with very sore legs by trying to go fast and run like the athletes you see in the Olympics (daft, I know). This time I've followed C25K to the letter, got some proper running shoes (Asics) and gone really slowly - basically just a bit faster than walking, almost a fast shuffle.

This video is really helpful for advice on form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q

When the podcast tells you to run I now lean forward like in the video and let my body propel me forward. Basically, keep your feet underneath you as you run and if you can see your feet you are stretching them too far forward, which will use up too much energy and could give you shin splints and sore knees.

I did this today. My second day of week 1. I slowed my run right down and did the leaning forward thing. I felt so much better and happier with my performance. Thanks for the tips! :-)
  • annadunn12
    Options
    C25K TIP

If your start to struggle once your passed week 4 (normally week 5 is the killer) do week 1 day 1 again and you'll instantly see how much youve come on, I did as I did W1D1 with the wife last week and didn't break a sweat, it made me feel fantastic too as week 6 was a bit of a struggle for me.

Feel free to add me too, I now run 5k 2/3 times a week and only started C25K in February

Wow! That's some going! Running that much, that often - I hope I can get there! Week one is going great, just done my second day and actually felt like I could have carried on!! Such a difference from the first day. Feeling quite excited that there may be a runner in me yet!! :-)