Fitbit, body media or other

Options
I am looking for something to accurately tell me how many calories I burn off of the treadmill or elliptical. I have been taking kickboxing and zumba and have no clue how many calories I'm burning. I was just about set on fitbit then someone told me about body media. Any opinions on what is the best way to go or if another direction is better.

Thanks!

Replies

• emelypoynter
    Options
    bump, because I would like to know too! I want to know cals burning during exercise and through out the day (if that's possible, I'm sure it is and I don't know about it)
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    heart rate monitor. the body media is good for walking or just knowing what you burn throughout the day. if you want something to know what you're burning on the treadmill or elliptical, a heart rate monitor is the way to go :-)
  • thelandofwin
    Options
    I agree, I rely on my Garmin Heart Rate monitor to tell me how many calories I burn through exercise. I also have a fitbit and a body media but the HRM does the best job. Then the fitbit I use for my other activities and walking throughout the day.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    if you are looking for something to tell you calorie burn only during your workouts, I would suggest a heart rate monitor. I have a Polar FT7 and it has done really well for me in the year and a half I have used it.

The fitbit and body media type products are more for judging calorie burn throughout entire days. You can use them during exercise as well as sleeping, walking, reading books, whatever else you do that day. They the fitbit/bodymedia will give you a burn for the ENTIRE day and you try to eat a little less than that. :)

Know that the fitbit and bodymedia are NOT waterproof (only resistant) but many types of heart rate monitors are, so if you do many swimming or water activities it is a good idea to get a heart rate monitor.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I have the bodybugg and that gives me a 24 hour picture of what my body burns. I know that a "normal" day without exercise gets me to burn 1800-1900 calories. If I do a weekend day where I lounge around the house I burn 1600-1700. When I workout I brun between 2200-2300. I like that the bodybugg has allowed me to understand how I work 24/7.

If you just want to have an accurate reading of calories burned while working out, so witht he HRM.
  • gdavidm
    gdavidm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use the Bodybugg, which I think is the same as Bodymedia (please correct me if I am wrong). I love the fact that once you get used to having it on your arm I don't even think about it. It is just like having on my wrist watch. I like the calorie burn traking and charting that the program has. I do not like the food log part of the program. That is is why I sought out something else and why I eventually found MFP. I should also say that over the last couple months, as I have gotten more strict with my diet and more deligent about loging my food, I have noticed that Bodybugg over estimates my calorie burn. According to my Bodybugg calorie burn as compared to MFP calorie intake I should have lost about 100 pounds by now. I am at half that amount. I still use it because it gives great visualizations of my activities throughout the day but I am not happy about the over estimating calore burn. I think I am going to send it back and see if there is something wrong with the programming, so hopefully that will fix my issues. So in short, I recommend it because I don't know what else is better for calorie burn visualization throughout the day but as far as calorie intake monitoring you can't beat MFP.
  • MaybeAMonkey
    MaybeAMonkey Posts: 247
    Options
    bump