After Workout Pain

Options
Hello!

I have been floating around this site for a while, but now, to try to boost my weight loss and to look nice and toned for next summer, I have begun to lift weights and do workout with medicine balls. But, what is keeping me at bay is the pain that comes after the weight lifting.

What would you all suggest I do to manage the pain a little more? I know it is normal to be sore afterwards, but is there a trick to maybe down play them a little? It's starting to discourage me from doing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ilovegreg05
    ilovegreg05 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    What kind of pain? Like "normal" muscle soreness? Or something more serious?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wearing compression wear helps

stretching and foam rolling

alternating cold and hot showers

eating enough calories and protein to support recovery

getting enough sleep since your body does most of it's repair work when you are sleeping
  • ChrisFitPro
    ChrisFitPro Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Top 3 in No Particular Order...

SLEEP/Recovery

HYDRATION

Stretching/Mobility (this includes cool down, stretching, foam rolling)

Also...alcohol around your workouts will increase DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness)
  • plbrown81
    plbrown81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Is it a sharp pain, as in you pulled something? Or is it general muscle soreness from working out? When does it start and how long does it last?

If you push too hard too quickly you may get extremely sore for a few days up to a week. If it's getting to a point where you have a hard time sitting, standing or stretching AT ALL you may want to consider backing off a bit. Sharp pains can either mean that you've pushed too hard, or that you have an injury somewhere. For example - I injured my left shoulder and back in a car accident. When I work on my shoulders I will get a "burning" feeling if they are being worked and fatigued, but I will get a very sharp, focal pain if I've pushed or pulled a muscle the wrong way. However, the injury pain is usually immediate and during a workout. Muscle soreness, even if it's severe, usually takes 12-24 hours to show up (delayed onset muscle soreness).

If your soreness is an all over soreness that isn't crippling and only lasts 2-3 days, it's just part and parcel of the whole deal! Sometimes an NSAID or anti-inflammatory can help. Stretching after working out, and taking a hot shower will also help. As others mentioned - lots and lots of water!

Most important is to just keep moving though. I find that if I sit around when I'm sore it makes things worse, so I make sure I use those days to work out even more. Generally, if I'm sore for more than 2 days, I give a really good Cardio workout on the 3rd day and that seems to take care of it. The soreness is both related to micro-tears of your muscles, as well as lactic acid buildup. Moving will ideally help get rid of the lactic acid, and stretching and time will allow the tears to heal. Edited to add: This is for "normal" soreness.

Think of the soreness as a POSITIVE. You're building muscle! You're doing things RIGHT! You're going to have awesome arms, legs, etc before you know it!
  • PsycGeek
    PsycGeek Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks guys! And yes, It was just the typical muscle pain, nothing like pulled or torn. I had done squats with 3 lb medicine balls and my legs hurt really really bad! I was getting kind of scared, because they hurt for a good 3-4 days. So, more stretching, more water and good ol' fashion meds! Now, just to get off my hiney and go back to the gym...but! Good news, according to my bathroom scale, I've lost 10 lbs! :)

Thank you all so much! :) I will keep all of your advice in mind and don't worry, I am sure I will be back! :)
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Protein! Drink a protein shake right after you finish your workout. Makes a huge difference, if I miss my protein after a hard workout I'm much sorer than if I had taken it.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    honestly, the best thing for me is to get out and do it all over again. it might seem like an awful idea, especially on day 2 of pain, but that is the best time to do it! power through, see and feel the results.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    For general muscle soreness, epsom salts in a nice warm bath works for me. I don't consider muscle soreness to be pain, though. I kind of like the feeling. It lets me know I accomplished something.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! And yes, It was just the typical muscle pain, nothing like pulled or torn. I had done squats with 3 lb medicine balls and my legs hurt really really bad! I was getting kind of scared, because they hurt for a good 3-4 days. So, more stretching, more water and good ol' fashion meds! Now, just to get off my hiney and go back to the gym...but! Good news, according to my bathroom scale, I've lost 10 lbs! :)

Thank you all so much! :) I will keep all of your advice in mind and don't worry, I am sure I will be back! :)

I'm by no means an expert, but...

A little soreness a day or two after makes sense, but for a solid 3-4 days after, it sounds like you overdid it. :)

I'd say dial it back a little bit until you get built up a bit, then increase gradually as your body catches up to what you're pushing it to do.

Give your muscles time to heal in between workouts, too, and try not to push past the "little bit sore" point. From what I gather, if you have to take something like ibuprofen for the pain, you're probably holding yourself back since the pain meds can actually hamper the muscle repair process that's key to building strength.
  • mmmyotwnz
    mmmyotwnz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Like the above comments, burning irritation is common with muscles that you haven't used a lot lately. Sharp and radiating pain during and after signals improper lifts or moves.

I have a back injury and I have to be really careful of what I do at the gym. I am pushing myself more to build back under used muscles along the spine. I do have some burning pain afterwards, but only once or twice has it been a stabbing pain. Usually ibuprofen and alternating heat/ice helps relieve it. I also journal everything I do at the gym, how much weight and reps. That way if I am unusually sore I know which 'thing' did it. Occasionally I will do a warm bath with Epsom salts in it.

Just don't quit, keep with it. You will build endurance and strength soon, quitting means you will be with the pain awhile longer.

good luck!