Socializing and staying healthy

Options
I've recently decided to quit drinking alcohol. I feel amazing and have never felt better. My friends on the other hand are having a hard time with this new change. When we are together they are always drinking which is fine but they can't seem to grasp that I don't have any interest in it. They push it on me or make me feel guilty and feel bad for my decisions. Sometimes I cave and drink but then I feel awful afterwards and resentful. I don't know how to handle this without losing friends.

Any advice would be appreciated.:smile:

Replies

• Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. The phrase "all the way" is very popular when I'm with my friends. Maybe you can be the the designated driver for everyone.
  • lmcadam2
    lmcadam2 Posts: 9
    Options
    It totally depends on your group of friends but I have had luck sometimes seltzer water when everyone is out drinking (especially if you are going to the bar to get drinks) and usually no one is any the wiser :) a little sneaky maybe but if they aren't going to support you, maybe that's what you have to do! Sorry they are being like that!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yup, I do the same thing - sparkling mineral water in a glass with ice and lemon looks like a "real" drink!
    When I go to the pub, I'll usually have one or two alcoholic drinks and alternate with mineral water, but if you don't want to drink at all -good for you, stick to your guns. It will take time but hopefully they will get used to your "new normal".
    Another suggestion - can you volunteer to be the designated driver? If you say "I'm driving", only an idiot will continue to push drinks at you.
  • jojo3937
    jojo3937 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll try that!