Varying BMR calculations

Options
Hey MFPeeps! Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

I am reevaluating my goals and taking a closer look at my calorie intake. I'm eat high protein particularly on lift days, am very active (work out six days a week with cardio and heavy weights), 5' 1", 138 lbs. So from various websites, I've gotten BMR calculations of 1375, 1382, 1315..... And THEN 2384! The last one came from the site below. So what would you do?

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/bmr-and-daily-calorie-calculator.html

Thanks!!
Jen

Replies

• moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I didn't try the link, but it is probably your TDEE or whatever, which is your total daily expendature.

In other words, it includes your workouts.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    the 2384 from the last site is not your BMR, it's your TDEE. Ignore it.

Any BMR estimate is +/- 10% so the other three are the same at 1300 or 1400
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    the 2384 from the last site is not your BMR, it's your TDEE. Ignore it.

Any BMR estimate is +/- 10% so the other three are the same at 1300 or 1400

^^^THIS^^^
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    Hey MFPeeps! Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

I am reevaluating my goals and taking a closer look at my calorie intake. I'm eat high protein particularly on lift days, am very active (work out six days a week with cardio and heavy weights), 5' 1", 138 lbs. So from various websites, I've gotten BMR calculations of 1375, 1382, 1315..... And THEN 2384! The last one came from the site below. So what would you do?

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/bmr-and-daily-calorie-calculator.html

Thanks!!
    Jen

I am basically your twin. 5'1 and 132lbs and I get about the same BMR as you and I have to agree with others that calculator doesn't give you your BMR but gives you your TDEE.
  • DBB07
    DBB07 Posts: 40
    Options
    Jen,

I've had enormous success eating at my Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR): 302 lbs. and 40.3% body fat in December 2011 to 211 lbs. and 18.6% body fat as of today.

The RMR formula for women is 10 x (Weight in pounds/2.2) + 6.25 x (Height in inches x 2.5) - (5 x Age) - 161. If I did the math right, your RMR is 1249 calories -- the number of calories you burn each day at rest.

If you eat at your RMR or just above it, you're guaranteed to be at a calorie deficit each day without being extreme.

I don't trust any other formula. They are way too general and grossly overestimate calories burned from routine daily activities.

DBB07
  • burgranger
    Options
    When I do that calculator I get between 1500-1700 and I would gain, gain gain if I ate that much!
  • JenSkinLaPierre
    JenSkinLaPierre Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    DBB -- do you exercise a lot? I've stayed at 1200 - 1300 for the past several months. I work out pretty hard with a trainer 4 days a week and do 6 days of cardio. On weight days, I swear I'm always hungry.
    Jen,

I've had enormous success eating at my Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR): 302 lbs. and 40.3% body fat in December 2011 to 211 lbs. and 18.6% body fat as of today.

The RMR formula for women is 10 x (Weight in pounds/2.2) + 6.25 x (Height in inches x 2.5) - (5 x Age) - 161. If I did the math right, your RMR is 1249 calories -- the number of calories you burn each day at rest.

If you eat at your RMR or just above it, you're guaranteed to be at a calorie deficit each day without being extreme.

I don't trust any other formula. They are way too general and grossly overestimate calories burned from routine daily activities.

DBB07
  • JenSkinLaPierre
    JenSkinLaPierre Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I gotta shake things up, D! These last 10 to 15 lbs need to be gone by my birthday!
    When I do that calculator I get between 1500-1700 and I would gain, gain gain if I ate that much!
  • DBB07
    DBB07 Posts: 40
    Options
    DBB -- do you exercise a lot? I've stayed at 1200 - 1300 for the past several months. I work out pretty hard with a trainer 4 days a week and do 6 days of cardio. On weight days, I swear I'm always hungry.
    Jen,

DBB07

Jen,

Currently and for most of my journey, I do 5 sets of a single strength training exercise (for example - squats), walk a mile, rinse and repeat 3 times. In sum, then, I do 15 sets of one particular exercise each day, six days a week, and walk 3 miles. I typically take off on Sunday and do nothing.

As for hunger, I never get hungry since upping my fat calories. My macros are about 50-55% fat, 30% protein, and 15% carbs. I can get by on 1,800 calories a day, without any problem. In the past, I couldn't have ever imagined such a thing. On rare days when my macros are shifted toward carbs, I want to eat the leg off of my chair. It's like putting twigs on a fire -- they burn fast and not very hot. When I up my fat content, it's like putting a big piece of oak on the fire -- it burns slow and hot.

I don't want to mislead anyone into thinking I've always been obese, though. It was the result of a debilitating injury that I've now overcome after many years. When I was younger, I was a decent athlete and my muscle memory is still very good; that is to say, I'm reverting back to my normal adult weight.

D/