Stretch marks???

Options
Was wondering if anyone had any tips on stretch marks. I purchased Bio Oil today, but I am not sure if that is the best thing to do the job.

Replies

• lizzylaw13
    lizzylaw13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just googled this topic the other day, actually. I was reading on medical sites that there is no magic cure for stretch marks. Unfortunately, they come from either weight gain or even if you build muscle too quickly (I noticed some on my biceps - ick). The consensus seems to be that you have to wait for them to change color and the only way to get rid of them is through more invasive medical procedures. Most of the creams that say they work don't. The articles mentioned you can try to prevent them through using creams, but that for most people the effort is futile.

It was depressing to read, but if the bio oil works, definitely keep us updated!
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've heard coconut oil i think it is helps? I've got some too but nothing i care to lather up in oil or lotion for...I hate lotion
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    I heard cocoa butter at walmart is good. it comes in a can.
  • UpsideMeagan
    UpsideMeagan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Strivectin SD. Nothing gets rid of them completely, but this (expensive, unfortunately) lotion evens skin tone and reduces the redness. I love it.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything that can get rid of them. I know they can be lightened/darkened more with products, but sadly I think they are always there. I have been called stretch since middle school, I am learning to just deal with them..sadly. If you find something though, let me know!
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Ughhh....I gained them with my 1st child and now since I lost weight they look worse. Hereditary and Cocoa Butter lotion DOES NOT work!
  • xojessieannexo
    xojessieannexo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    apple cidar vinegar!!!! this wonderful cheap *kitten* product also helps with acne you can use it as a toner.. you can put it in your bath and it makes your skin so soft. Use it with a lotion or honey for cellulite.. the only problem is the smell.. look it up its like 4 bucks at vitamin cottage :):) you can massage it in with your skin with lotion for your stretch marks!!! pretty much a miracle product for all things!
  • burkedart
    burkedart Posts: 1
    Options
    cocoa butter and shea butter will help fade them. I had a friend who used to work at the body shop and she used their body butters in shea and cocoa butter and it helped fade her stretch marks. She also got a lot of customers coming back to buy more bc they swore by the stuff. I'm terrible about putting it on daily so my stretch marks probably faded with time...good luck!
  • 88josephine88
    Options
    bio-oil is amazing! It is quite expensive though, and you really need to rub it in 3 times a day, and because it's so oily, you can stop wanting to do it all the time.

I thinnk the newer the stretch marks, the easier you can get them to fade?
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    People are genetically predisposed to getting stretch marks, unfortunately. (I have battle wounds from 2 epic battles with alien forces... also known as pregnancy.) I have a friend who has none - her mother never got them, nor her own mother. Totally unfair.

Time is the best thing for making them less visible, honestly.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Normal oil is great. I use extra virgin olive oil. But as time goes by the fade to thin silver lines. It is just part of I am afraid :(
  • SCVSarah
    SCVSarah Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Palmers has special stretch mark cream. It's like $5 or $6 (I think I got it at Walmart) and it's amazing.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I believe it's in the application process.
    Hand me the bottle I'll help.
    Trust me I'm a professional.:noway:
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I believe it's in the application process.
    Hand me the bottle I'll help.
    Trust me I'm a professional.:noway:

i think i like this guy
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Vitamin E oil rubbed on daily seems to help.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Palmer's Cocoa Butter does help faint the stretch marks, I had loads from being a teenager and mine are faded quite well now. xx
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have an AMAZING collection of stretch marks (2 babies over 10lbs will do that to a girl :happy: ) and have rather a lot of experience in the failed prevention of them. I used both cocoa butter and bio oil during my first pregnancy (oil in the morning and butter in the evening) and was patting myself on the back until I got to 37 weeks and the first batch appeared, by 42 weeks and 1 day I had (and I quote) the most stretch marks my midwife had ever seen :sad: Anyway, I digress, using the oil and cream didn't prevent them, but they were never red or purple, they appeared sort of silvery white and have stayed that way. During pregnancy #2 I thought stuff it! It didn't work the first time so why bother the second time?!? I ended up only getting 4 extra stretch marks, but they were quite wide and were red!! They have since turned silvery white (I'm back on the bio oil) but are still quite wide when compared to the other ones.
    Not really a scientific experiment, but if I ever have a 3rd baby I'll be using the oil and cream as although it doesn't stop me getting them it really does seem to make them not look so bad.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can actually get rid of them, but they do fade, even without creams and oils. I've had them since puberty (I think) but they've faded into silvery lines now (some 6-7 years later), and I think they look kind of cool :tongue:
  • ashleygx26
    ashleygx26 Posts: 140
    Options
    Thank you everyone!

and just a quick update. I used the Bio Oil and they are SO amazingly faded already and it's only been one day. Mine were not red or purple. they were just a faint white, but this morning they are a normal skin tone and they blend right in.

So that being said, I recommend Bio Oil! It's amazing.
  • brittaney_lee
    brittaney_lee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hmm... I MUST try the BioOil !

After 2 babies in 3 years and significant weight gain and now loss, I joke with my husband that my stomach looks like it was mauled by a bear... funny, but sooooo not funny to me.. :(