Eating back exercise calories late at night?

Options
Hey guys,
So I know it's not the best option to eat before bed, but I have about 800 calories from exercise left over for the day.
Should I eat them back? Or just skip it?
Thanks,
Ignotus

Replies

• Eckspert
    Eckspert Posts: 3
    Options
    If you're goal is to lose weight.. I would just skip eating or just have a little something that's mainly protein.
  • Jamie2007
    Jamie2007 Posts: 169
    Options
    It's not a good idea to be at such a large deficit. Eat some Greek yogurt, egg whites, or cottage cheese. Even a protein shake would be better than nothing.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    if you are hungry, then eat. otherwise, why force it?
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    if you are hungry, then eat. otherwise, why force it?

^^^ what he said.
    Eat a little if your hungry.
  • Monkee_Magic
    Monkee_Magic Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been having a slow release protein shake at night and that's been working out ok. You could try and plan ahead a little and if you definitely know you are going to exericise then eat a little more during the day if you feel you need it. But if you are not hungry then why bother, if you keep having a high deficit each day I think you may find you'll be hungry soon enough.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    eat a little bit, maybe have a glass of milk or yogurt. save the rest for during the week.
  • Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time of the day or night you eat. If you're hungry eat. IF not, don't. but don't worry about what time of the day it is
  • Ignotus
    Ignotus Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, eat a little something; otherwise, I would not worry about it. A significant deficit is not too bad once in a while. Also, realize that many times our exercise can be over estimated and calories underestimated. I would not worry about it. As far as eating right before bed, it may be reflected on your morning weight but it is not a lasting problem... Meal timing is not as big a deal as some suggest.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The fact that you would be eating the calories at night is largely irrelevant (let personal preference dictate this). Late night eating by itself does not cause fat gain. That being said, you DO need to figure how much total food to eat.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Yeah doesnt matter when you eat.. Some people eat every 3 hours.. some people fast... Few of my friends practice inter' fasting, smash 1000's of calories before bed time... there is nothing wrong with their bodies or weight loss!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,
    So I know it's not the best option to eat before bed, but I have about 800 calories from exercise left over for the day.
    Should I eat them back? Or just skip it?
    Thanks,
    Ignotus

Your stomach doesn't know what time of the day it is. Eat whenever you like
  • rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry... eat, but if you are not it might be worth it to "save" those calories. You may want to indulge a little in a few days. I find that as long as I average my daily limit in one week I still loose and have good flexibility so I don't go bonkers. (For example, I am under 300 today then I might eat over 200 tomorrow if I want).
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I never force feed. I usually just assume I will mess up later and it will all even out in the end!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If you're goal is to lose weight.. I would just skip eating or just have a little something that's mainly protein.
    You are wrong.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you... I have stalled on my weight loss for over 2 months now and I am beginning to believe that it is the cumulative affect of not eating enough. I am making it my goal to eat NO LESS than my BMR each day.... So, with still 400 + calories to go for Sunday, I have just finished a Greek yogurt... Trying to make it as much protein as I can....
    EAT, for goodness sakes EAT! Just don't have a full blown meal and try to sleep. While it won't negatively or positively impact your weight loss efforts it can cause discomfort, reflux, indigestion, and sleep if you eat too much before you lie down.

I am going to have to do a better job of portioning out my calories for the day. I just know I am a night time eater and snacker and worry sometimes that I won't leave myself enough calories at the end of the day to enjoy a few evening snacks... Good luck..oh, and if I forgot to mention it, EAT!!!!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Eat.... unless you swallowed a watch your stomach can't tell time.