Nightly binge?

I eat okay during the day (what I've always been eating and either just around goal or 200/300 over) but then at night I eat 1,100+ calories! It's been this way for a month and some of it is sweet stuff, but it's also nuts and whole grains and all this healthy food. How can I stop this, I've gained twelve pounds and they need to GO??

Replies

• s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Well you have to evaluate why you are eating so much at night. Are you eating out of hunger or boredom?

If you are eating out of hunger; try to adjust the time in which you eat. I personally eat about every two hours but everyone is different. Also try to eat things that will help you feel full for longer periods of time. From what I've read foods high in protein do this. Also make sure you are drinking plenty of water- the old saying of thirst just disguises itself as hunger.

If you are eating out of boredom; try to take a walk before you go to the kitchen. Or find something to do like an exercise routine, a hobby, or surf the forums, plan your next days meals (which may help you stay in your calorie allotment), or anything else that may get your mind off of eating. If you feel like you have to snack on something and water isn't helping try things that are better for you- fresh veggies like celery or carrots, or other things that don't have many calories.

Good luck.
  • This is EXACTLY my problem too!! I do so well during the day, and then at night I suddenly spiral out of control....and not because I'm hungry, just one little peek into the pantry out of "curiosity" and I'm suddenly on a bender...so upsetting :( I think I'll have to bulk up my dinners with lots and lots of veggies so that I can't even think of another mouthful!! And need to keep myself distracted too....good idea on surfing the forums and planning the next day's meals - thanks for the tips!!
  • I haven´t had difficulty with dinner but after dinner I ate alot of sweets, this and that. To stop that I started having fruits in stead or bell pepper then I turned to sewing gum and now I never eat after dinner unless I had a major exersice day.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    I was having night snacking issues a few weeks back and decided it needed to stop. Oatmeal tends to fill me, so I started planning to have a bowl of oatmeal an hour or two after dinner every night, and that has been working pretty well to keep me away from snacking non-stop on other things.
  • susan954
    susan954 Posts: 6
    I am like you and love to eat sweets, I think the foods I ate outside of meals were the biggest cause of my weight problems. I recently heard someone recommend to help stop the sugar cravings, just stop eating sweets for one week, and see how you feel. I felt I could do that. It was a small enough goal. I did well, and avoided ice cream with the kids, regular soda, and treats at work. On day 5, I was at a birthday party with bowls of M&Ms on all the tables. I remembered my goal and successfully avoided M&Ms the whole night. Each day of success gave me more strength for the next day. Now that my week is over, I still love sweets, but now think about what choices I am making. Just stopping sweets for a few days has helped me.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    It may be that you are being "too good" earlier in the day and all the sudden, it hits you that you are hungry. You may want to balance your meals throughout the day. Also, is this a long term issue or a recent trend? If it is only a recent trend, it may be some life stress that may be getting in your eating patterns. Emotional eating can be a really tough thing to overcome.. Exercise, prayer/meditation may help with this...

Avoidance of pre-packaged empty calorie foods may be partly to blame... candies, snack cakes, chips, etc are often loaded with appetite enhancers that actually stimulate your appetite... leaving you craving more and more... Avoiding these foods and replacing them with protein rich foods...even meal bars can provide your body with the nutrition that it is missing and be ultimately more filling. Empty calories only add fat.. they do not do your body any good... Therefore by providing your body with the nutrients it needs makes it easier to eat within the confines of your caloric goals.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    It may be that you are being "too good" earlier in the day and all the sudden, it hits you that you are hungry. You may want to balance your meals throughout the day. Also, is this a long term issue or a recent trend? If it is only a recent trend, it may be some life stress that may be getting in your eating patterns. Emotional eating can be a really tough thing to overcome.. Exercise, prayer/meditation may help with this...

This was my first thoughts and that you need to find something that keeps you busy both hands and mind.
  • I used to eat out of boredom...and it was really bad. I ate a ton every night while watching TV or surfing the internet. But then I started knitting and that stopped it. It turns out I just needed something for my hands to be doing while sitting on the couch. So instead of shoveling food into my mouth, I took up knitting :) Try to find something like that to occupy your mind and your hands!