A personal question regarding carrots.

Options
No not THAT! Get your mind out of the gutter.

I follow the photos of food thread with interest. What I have noticed on lots of peoples plate is odd looking carrots(odd to me anyway). The vast majority of carrot was this sort. Sort of short and round and small. Almost like fingers. Can someone tell me what they are? Are they organic, tinned, baby? I have seen baby carrots in my grocery store but they don't look like that. The carrots I buy are full size and I slice them or grate them depending on whether I am having them cooked or in a salad.

So what are these weird small carrots you guys are eating?

Replies

• ixchel78
    ixchel78 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    There are many different shapes and sizes of "baby" carrots because they are basically shaved/trimmed full sized carrots that weren't pretty enough for the full sized market. I shop at Fred Meyer and even there you can select a larger finger sized, and two different smaller varieties of these so called "baby" carrots. So it probably just depends on what your supermarket carries. If you check around different stores I'm sure you'd see a variance.
  • Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    Thanks for your response, I don't quite get it though. This has been something thats intriuged me for years. I thought maybe it was a US thing. I never saw any one slice a big carrot. I know I am not explaining myself well
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Carrots around here are usually the big long ones, then you can get the baby ones which are short and dumpy, then you get the prechopped and pre cut ones which can be into sticks or mushed up or however they feel like doing it at the factory...bleurgh!

personally I like them straight out the field, washed grated with lemon juice and a teaspoon of sugar over them mixed together. carrot salad is the way forward!
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response, I don't quite get it though. This has been something thats intriuged me for years. I thought maybe it was a US thing. I never saw any one slice a big carrot. I know I am not explaining myself well

You mean these?
    prod_fs_carrots.jpg

Like the other guy said. Ugly carrots cut to size. Sometimes they're thin and long and sometimes they're fat and short. Same.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_carrot
  • suthrnladey
    Options
    It is probably a US thing. People say that the baby ones are just shaved down big carrots, but I don't think they are because of the difference in taste--I hate the taste of the big carrots The baby carrots come in a bag, not in a bunch like the big ones. They are much sweeter than the big ones. I absolutely hate big carrots raw or cooked. I love baby carrots, especially glazed with a little honey and brown sugar.

**This is just my opinion. I am not a carrot expert. I am just an American who has had both big and baby carrots** :flowerforyou:
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    It's funny you ask, because as a child I actually thought all carrots look like the above pictured "baby carrots" and did not automatically equate the long, complete carrot as being the same thing because we never had them in my house! Only baby carrots until I started going to school. Funny how our different environments make an impact on our perception of the world!
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options

You mean these?
    prod_fs_carrots.jpg

Like the other guy said. Ugly carrots cut to size. Sometimes they're thin and long and sometimes they're fat and short. Same.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_carrot

Yes those things! I know I ask the strangest questions. So they're big ugly carrots carved to look like baby carrots?
  • suthrnladey
    Options
    From the Wikipedia link someone posted: "A baby carrot is an immature carrot; a baby-cut carrot, known as a "baby carrot", is a mature carrot that has been cut and peeled in the "baby-cut" style."---Maybe the 'immature' carrot has a sweeter taste??
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    It is probably a US thing. People say that the baby ones are just shaved down big carrots, but I don't think they are because of the difference in taste--I hate the taste of the big carrots The baby carrots come in a bag, not in a bunch like the big ones. They are much sweeter than the big ones. I absolutely hate big carrots raw or cooked. I love baby carrots, especially glazed with a little honey and brown sugar.

**This is just my opinion. I am not a carrot expert. I am just an American who has had both big and baby carrots** :flowerforyou:

Thank You. I've never seen small carrots in a bag, only sliced and frozen. Even the baby carrots I see occasionaly are in a bunch and don't look like that
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    It is funny. I never ever got those weird mini carrots! Do you still peel them and chop them? Or is the point of them to cut our that step?
  • suthrnladey
    Options
    It is funny. I never ever got those weird mini carrots! Do you still peel them and chop them? Or is the point of them to cut our that step?

No peeling or chopping. Eat them whole. They are great raw with ranch dressing or other veggie dips. Would you like for me to mail you a bag? Would they be good when they reach you???
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    No no. lol. I have absolutely no problem with peeling and chopping, it takes just a minute. They wouldn't be any good once they get to australia

I know there is "true" baby ones but the ones whittled down to look like a baby one just kind of blows my mind....really? lol

Thanks everyone for clearing it up.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    They're delicious. And no cutting, peeling, chopping or any other nonsense - just eat them right out of the bag. Not sure how that is weird - now I'm wondering what other countries do with their carrots that we in the US are missing by just eating them....
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Random! We have them down here in NZ, So definitely not just a US thing! But yeah, you just eat them out of the packet. Nil prep required!
  • monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    Options
    We have the same in Canada:)
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    Ok, maybe I'm just weird ! Maybe I've never noticed them. It's never ever occured to me that carrots shouldn't be bought from the fresh produce and peeled and chopped in the size required. :S

It really isn't that hard to peel them! lol