Calling ALL Runners--6 Week Challenge

Options
6 WEEK RUNNERS CHALLENGE!

Here's the deal: You don't need to be an avid runner or even a fast runner. You can modify this to fit your activity level and schedule. You don't even have to run everyday (although, it'll probably be easier!) Start out at a set amount of total miles running for one week. If you run a lot, this may be 25-50 miles. If you are a beginning runner, this may be 5-15 miles. Then for the next six weeks you will add anywhere between 1-3 miles to the total mileage for that week. The key is to not worry about pace as much as worrying about mileage. If you add mileage and a faster pace, you risk injury. It's ok to walk. :)

So...comment below with your plan for six weeks. For all the runners who meet their goal at the end of 6 weeks, you will be recognized! For every week you meet your goal, you get 10 points. For every mile you go OVER your goal, you get 1 extra point. So, RUN RUN RUN! So, this is a competition! Be sure to check in every week with your point totals! I'll post an updated leader board every week.

Challenge starts Monday 6/18/12!

Replies

• JTRFS
    JTRFS Posts: 9
    Options
    Week 1: 20 miles
    Week 2: 23 miles
    Week 3: 26 miles
    Week 4: 29 miles
    Week 5: 32 miles
    Week 6: 35 miles

"When you run on the earth and run with the earth, you can run forever."
  • LittleButMightyOne
    Options
    Definitely interested! I will stay posted!
  • Taradactyyl
    Options
    Sounds like a plan! I'm going to start with running 10 miles a week and increase two miles with an ultimate goal of running at least a 10K once a week.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Adding 2-3 miles per week is probably more than my body can handle, as I discovered while I was training for a 10k. BUT I am training for a half marathon right now, so I am planning on increasing my mileage. I'll have to consider how much each week... hmmm.
  • Swopkin
    Swopkin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Week 1: 20 miles
    Week 2: 23 miles
    Week 3: 25 miles
    Week 4: 28 miles
    Week 5: 30 miles
    Week 6: 35 miles

Let's hope I make it. At the moment I've got gigantic blisters on my footsoles so not planning to run the first two days, but after that I'm back 'in the running'.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Let's see how this can work for me, too, since I just moved to a new (hotter) area.

wk1: 8 miles
    wk2: 10 miles
    wk3: 13 miles
    wk4: 15 miles
    wk5: 17 miles
    wk6: 20 miles
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Well, since it's supposed to be a challenge...

I am a terrible runner, so I really like the thought of this! Practice makes perfect, after all. =D I'm in!

Week 1: 15 Miles
    Week 2: 18 Miles
    Week 3: 21 Miles
    Week 4: 24 Miles
    Week 5: 27 Miles
    Week 6: 30 Miles
  • JTRFS
    Options
    Adding 2-3 miles per week is probably more than my body can handle, as I discovered while I was training for a 10k. BUT I am training for a half marathon right now, so I am planning on increasing my mileage. I'll have to consider how much each week... hmmm.

I understand that overtraining is scary. You can also walk too! I set my mileage pretty high, but I'm gonna allow myself to get to it by walking on some days if my body is hurting.
  • JTRFS
    Options
    Sounds like a plan! I'm going to start with running 10 miles a week and increase two miles with an ultimate goal of running at least a 10K once a week.

That is an awesome plan! I like the idea of getting another goal of running a 10K at one time in addition to the total mileage for the week.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I'm actually training for a half marathon this fall..so also going to start at 15 miles.

I keep track using the dailymile app on facebook. :)
  • mrsrobbo85
    mrsrobbo85 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea, I'm actually running a 10K in 7 weeks but have been a bit lazy with my training and am only up to 4 miles twice a week. Here are my goals..

Week 1 - 10 miles
    Week 2 - 12 miles
    Week 3 - 14 miles
    Week 4 - 16 miles
    Week 5 - 18 miles
    Week 6 - 20 miles

Good luck everyone! Feel free to add me for support xx
  • niclagi
    niclagi Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I love this idea so I can keep up my new jogging trend. I am currently in the last week of doing the C25K program. I am not anywhere near where people are marking there starting numbers at. I'll start at 5 miles and go up from there.

Week 1-4 miles (6.4 km)
    Week 2-5 miles (8km)
    Week 3-6 miles (9.6 km)
    Week 4-7 miles (11.2km)
    Week 5-8 miles (12.8km)
    Week 6-9 miles (14.4km)

I can adjust my numbers if they seem to easy later on.
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Great challenge! I'm doing a marathon in the fall so I really need to get my weekly mileage back up. I've been doing about 18 a week so I'll start there.

Week 1- 18 miles
    Week 2- 21 miles
    Week 3- 24 miles
    Week 4- 27 miles
    Week 5- 30 miles
    Week 6- 33 miles
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    People should definitely keep in mind that you should not increase more than 10% in your mileage per week or you risk injury.
  • JTRFS
    Options
    People should definitely keep in mind that you should not increase more than 10% in your mileage per week or you risk injury.

Absolutely! The 1-3 mile addition is for those who are already doing a higher amount of running throughout the week. If you are doing a lower amount--say 5-10 make sure it's only .5-1 mile you are adding that week. Thank you for that reminder! Great advice. :)
  • ericariff86
    Options
    I am a beginner runner... I have 2 herniated disks, but need to very much so get back into running. I am going to start low, and work up from there! good luck everyone!

Week 1: 5 miles
    Week 2: 7 miles
    Week 3: 9 miles
    Week 4: 11 miles
    Week 5: 13 miles
    Week 6: 15 miles

That would be a huge milestone in my life now...
  • Pheonix2012
    Pheonix2012 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm in too. I used to run all the time, and want to make it a daily habit again. Althought since I haven't run in a while, I am going to follow a similar plan to the moderate plans above.

Week One: 7
    Week Two: 9
    Week Three:11
    Week Four:13
    Week Five: 14
    Week Six: 15
  • linnettbenson
    linnettbenson Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Sounds like a great way to push myself a little. I did a half marathon in the middle of May. Since then I have been doing a lot of walking but not a lot of running. I need to get it in gear again. I have another half scheduled for Nov. I want to be ready. This will be a gentle build up for when I have to get really serious.

Week 1 - 12 miles
    Week 2 - 14 miles
    Week 3 - 16 miles
    Week 4 - 18 miles
    Week 5 - 20 miles
    Week 6 - 22 miles
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm actually training for a half marathon this fall..so also going to start at 15 miles.

I keep track using the dailymile app on facebook. :)

Same here -- doing a half in August and September. I'm actually following the full marathon training schedule as I am doing one in October. I am on dailymile and strava as well.

Here's my schedule (using the Runners World Smart Coach app)

Week 1 (6/18 - 6/24) - 28 mi
    Week 2 (6/25 - 7/1) - 22 mi
    Week 3 (7/2 - 7/8) - 29 mi
    Week 4 (7/9 - 7/15) - 30 mi
    Week 5 (7/16 - 7/22) - 31 miles
    Week 6 (7/23 - 7/29) 24 mi
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I am also, also training for a half marathon right now so my natural progression right now is 1-3 miles a week already!!!!

Week One: 16
    Week Two: 18
    Week Three:19
    Week Four: 22
    Week Five: 23
    Week Six: 24