Recently reformed sugar addict needing morale support!

Options
Hi All

I've already been on a 'no sugar' eating plan (not calling it a diet as I plan to keep on it indefinitely), and the results are already good. Down to 119kg from 125kg over the last 6 weeks, but I really want to ensure that I have the mental resolve to keep it up!

I am tall and pretty thick set, so my ideal weight will be around 85kg, which is where I was about 9 years ago at university, but I have steadily put on weight all the way up to 125kg. I've had the odd gym craze where I go to the gym 4-5 times a week for a couple of months and lose 10kgs but I've always ended up relapsing and putting even more on.

This is the first time I've actually made a real concerted effort to change the way I eat though, and though I was living in denial I was a real sugar addict. So I've pretty much kicked all sugars out of my diet except for those in fruit and veg, and also I am not eating carbs like bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. only things like porridge. I've also started doing more exercise - I'm concentrating on weight training initially to get my metabolism up, but will start bringing more cardio in soon though I do find it boring!

At the moment I feel amazing. Much higher energy levels, thinking more clearly, more relaxed. I just hope it continues and that this community can help support me and the calorie counting tools help me understand the process more.

Thanks, Alex

Replies

• jenniferrebekahsands
    Options
    Nice work! You are doing a great job so far! I'm just starting my journey myself. Feel free to friend me for support!
    jen
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job!
    I'm just beginning the sugar free journey as well, it's quite difficult!
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    We cannot be friends. I eat Fun Dip on a regular basis.... and I just can't quit it.
  • tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I've already been on a 'no sugar' eating plan (not calling it a diet as I plan to keep on it indefinitely), and the results are already good. Down to 119kg from 125kg over the last 6 weeks, but I really want to ensure that I have the mental resolve to keep it up!

I am tall and pretty thick set, so my ideal weight will be around 85kg, which is where I was about 9 years ago at university, but I have steadily put on weight all the way up to 125kg. I've had the odd gym craze where I go to the gym 4-5 times a week for a couple of months and lose 10kgs but I've always ended up relapsing and putting even more on.

This is the first time I've actually made a real concerted effort to change the way I eat though, and though I was living in denial I was a real sugar addict. So I've pretty much kicked all sugars out of my diet except for those in fruit and veg, and also I am not eating carbs like bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. only things like porridge. I've also started doing more exercise - I'm concentrating on weight training initially to get my metabolism up, but will start bringing more cardio in soon though I do find it boring!

At the moment I feel amazing. Much higher energy levels, thinking more clearly, more relaxed. I just hope it continues and that this community can help support me and the calorie counting tools help me understand the process more.

Thanks, Alex

Well done!! I'm a recovering sugar addict as well - it really is tough but so important to crack.
    I have found that increasing the good fats in my diet has really really helped reduce my cravings and appetite - in fact i've just finished eating a yummy protein pancake made from 1 egg, 1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder, water and fried in coconut oil (i add cinnamon on top) - sooo good and filling, the perfect craving buster!

Not sure where you live but the recent BBC programme 'Men who made us fat' confirmed all my sugar-related concerns! http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2012/24/Men-Who-Made-Us-Fat.html
  • aleks80
    aleks80 Posts: 7
    Options
    Well done!! I'm a recovering sugar addict as well - it really is tough but so important to crack.
    I have found that increasing the good fats in my diet has really really helped reduce my cravings and appetite - in fact i've just finished eating a yummy protein pancake made from 1 egg, 1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder, water and fried in coconut oil (i add cinnamon on top) - sooo good and filling, the perfect craving buster!

Not sure where you live but the recent BBC programme 'Men who made us fat' confirmed all my sugar-related concerns! http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2012/24/Men-Who-Made-Us-Fat.html

Sounds delicious, will defo give the pancakes a whirl.

Yeah, I'm in the UK so I watched the BBC programme last week. Its sort of summarising a lot of the stuff I've been reading for the last couple of months. There are a lot of good lectures by some of the people featured on the show to be found on the internet (Gary Taubes, Robert Lustig, etc). A lot of institutions in the US are trying to decry them, but having seen that BBC programme last week I would bet my bottom dollar the sugar / corn syrup producers are funding it!

All I know is, I've cut out sugars and bad carbs and replaced them with a few more healthy fats and a lot more protein and the change is enormously positive. That is evidence enough for me whatever the American Beverage Association spokeswoman wants to tell me!