• sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    lucky me
    I went to school in poland
    and never ever had junk food for lunch
    it was always:
    soup,
    main meal (meet/fish, starchy carbs, side of vegs - big side of vegs, at least same amount as meat)
    kompota - not sure what the name is in English, it's juice obtained by boiling fruit untill all the juice goes int water, with sugar added)
    fruit for dessert - i think it was always fruit for whole 8 years, no matter if it was friday, day before holiday... food (junk food) as a treat was not an option, we didn't have vending machines neither

Now I live in Spain, here they to serve junk food on Fridays in school cafeteria, but every other day, it's pretty healthy

REALLY starting to think I would be in much better shape if I lived in another country ^^^^ this is a perfect example

So between my bad diet and lack of good weather (I'm in the UK) which means your not inclinded to be out and about doing outdoor activities /sports and spend time trying to stay warm and cozy.

but i digress ....
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    The Czech school lunches are great, as well, at least at my kids' primary school: soup, meat, sauce, veggies, dumplings, rice, etc. Served hot, etc. My kids enjoy the food, no issues. Meals are cheap, subsidized by the state. It's also standard for the kids to bring a snack to school, which they usually eat around 10 am. Typically a small ham/salami sandwich, an apple, etc. And it's common here for the kids to get another small snack after school (fruit, yogurt, occasionally cookies). Most families have light dinners, as lunch is typically the main meal.

It's also quite an athletic school, much more so than in the US. My 9-year old son is on their hockey team, and they practice every day for at least an hour. During the off season, they train after school (field hockey, soccer, gymnastics).

My daughter is on the figure skating team, and also trains in the off season with the the girls on her team (running, gymnastics, strength training). There are very few overweight kids at this school, believe me. My problem with my kids is getting enough food in them, to be honest.

They are both training about 6-8 hours per week at the school, for the entire school year. And these are very intense trainings, with coaches, etc. Compare that to the US, where PE is usually once a week, very casual, and even that is being cut back dramatically.

The US has really lost the plot on children's health, and the schools are not helping the parents much at all, with some notable exceptions.

--Prahasaurus
  • SunshineDieter
    Options
    One of my nephews has school dinners and the other packed lunch.

The school dinners nephew often tells us of combinations such as 'fish and yorkshire pudding', as well describing what he's had by colour and texture (the yellow gooey cake with crunchy soft stuff on top... lemon meringue?). At this school, it seems the really need to regulate combinations so the children are getting a healthy balance. Bear in mind they run around in the playground after lunch, so would something a bit more slow release than a yorkshire be better? And why is he not told what his meals are called?

The packed lunch nephew gets in trouble as my sister makes him tuna pastas etc, where the dinner ladies insist he needs something 'easier' to eat (i.e. they can't be bothered to help him clean up after) like a sandwich.

When I finished high school they changed the rules so you could only buy biscuits and cakes if you bought a dinner object (like a sandwich etc). They weren't turning over enough profit and sold biscuits on the sly anyway.

There's a girl just had her blog taken down, which showed ratings and pictures of her school dinners - some of the combinations there are scary!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-18472795
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Interesting that you should bring this topic up. Something happened recently in Scotland that has raised this issue, thought you might be interested. A council in Scotland banned a nine year old girl from taking photos of her school dinners to post on a blog she was writing where she rated her meals each day. The blog was helping raise money for meals in Africa and part of the blog involved school children sending in pics of their school meals. A national newspaper ran an article on it (using an inflammatory headline) and the next thing is the council tried to ban her taking photos. Obviously they didn't care for the negative publicity.
    There was an outcry and the council were forced into retracting the ban. The extra publicity the story gained raised an extra £60,000 and counting for the charity.
    You can check out the story. The girls name was Martha Payne and her blog is 'never seconds.blogspot.co.uk'

Perhaps one of your kids could start something similar...it might shame the providers of your child's school meals into making changes. Jamie Oliver got involved in this story over here, I'm sure he would be interested in helping out. It's amazing what people power can achieve!
    X
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    As for cookies, my kids love Oreos. But they don't sell there here like in the US, in bulk, where the kids can open the package and eat many, many cookies in one sitting.

You basically buy them here by the box, with each box containing four packages of Oreos, each package with four cookies in them. Long story short, they get four Oreos at a time, and that's it. So they're happy they get cookies, but I know they can't eat any more than four. Win, win.

It's probably more expensive to buy them this way, but I strongly recommend it if it's available in the US. It really lets the parent manage the portion sizes, and trains the kids (I hope) that four cookies is a proper snack.

--Prahasaurus
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Yeah, school lunches in the UK are really quite good at the moment. The little boy I work with has choices from things like salmon fillet, or roast vegetable tart, with veg, and a pudding, which includes fruit. Theyre really getting good with it over here, no more 'meat', beetroot and lumpy mash followed by spotted ****!
  • daisyhougan
    Options
    I'm a teacher at the school my daughter attends and it's a struggle. Ours is probably middle of the road in terms of nutrition---we don't have a salad bar sadly but they do make nutritional information easily available, don't allow bags of chips, offer a premade salad and yogurt as options, and three hot lunches. But they're still nasty. Many kids at our school get free or reduced price lunch and so many kids buy lunches. My DD wants to at times to be like the other kids in her class. I usually give her the option to buy lunch once a week and the rest of the week pack a lunch (no microwave for her, although I could probably take the lunch down and microwave it myself but I don't want her to get a special exception because I'm there). I send pretty much the same stuff as everyone else but do try to liven it up with a fun note or something cool. We had a discussion this year about why I don't want her to buy lunch all the time and actually, all the other school employees got in on it too because they think it's nasty as well. I think it was the school secretary who finally clinched the deal when she pointed out to DD that we all know there were bugs at the school,right? DD nodded. Secretary leaned over and asked where did DD think the bugs came from? DD's eyes got big, she went pale, and clutched her lunchbox a bit tighter.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    This is a local issue and you CAN GET LOUD about improving quality. Other school districts have done it. Our lunches have gotten better every year - although kids can absolutely toss their healthy home lunches and eat junk if they put their mind to it. That's a two part problem - the schools sell junk and the kids want to buy it.

The reason our school lunches have gotten better is loud input from health conscious parents. Usually the head of the school lunch problem can be talked into backing them. So will the gym teachers. Work with the science teachers as well.

The district has to back you and decide that it's better to have healthy kids and worth hiring staff to serve better food. It's usually easiest to start by getting rid of bad food than putting in good food. So starting with getting rid of soda, artificial 'juice' boxes, and chips and putting in fruit is a beginning.

I used to tutor two elementary school kids who were morbidly obese - both brothers. It was really hard to keep them motivated and on-task. I confess to offer them candy as rewards. Slowly I came to see this was just dumb (though it worked). I tried them on orange slices (my kids love them) and they refused. So I started with where they were and got them on no sugar gum (with principal permission). Then found that they liked sesame crunch (better than candy). Slowly we worked towards healthier food.

The reason its so easy to get fat is that our bodies LOVE sugar and fat and salt. We're built for it. We have to educate our palates to also like other food.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Interesting that you should bring this topic up. Something happened recently in Scotland that has raised this issue, thought you might be interested. A council in Scotland banned a nine year old girl from taking photos of her school dinners to post on a blog she was writing where she rated her meals each day. The blog was helping raise money for meals in Africa and part of the blog involved school children sending in pics of their school meals. A national newspaper ran an article on it (using an inflammatory headline) and the next thing is the council tried to ban her taking photos. Obviously they didn't care for the negative publicity.
    There was an outcry and the council were forced into retracting the ban. The extra publicity the story gained raised an extra £60,000 and counting for the charity.
    You can check out the story. The girls name was Martha Payne and her blog is 'never seconds.blogspot.co.uk'

Perhaps one of your kids could start something similar...it might shame the providers of your child's school meals into making changes. Jamie Oliver got involved in this story over here, I'm sure he would be interested in helping out. It's amazing what people power can achieve!
    X

Say what you will about the US, but we definitely got the whole "freedom of speech" thing right. Now read this quickly, before a moderator locks it.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Yeah, school lunches in the UK are really quite good at the moment. The little boy I work with has choices from things like salmon fillet, or roast vegetable tart, with veg, and a pudding, which includes fruit. Theyre really getting good with it over here, no more 'meat', beetroot and lumpy mash followed by spotted ****!

Hahaha. The software took the "d!ck" out of your "spotted d!ck." And thank God. I would have been completely offended otherwise. (Sarcasm rules.)
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids...two in college and one going to hs. They have all said that you can eat healthy in school if you choose to...meaning teach your kids to be healthy eaters and pick the right things. I pack a lunch for the youngest..or she does since she is has celiacs (gluten free diet). Her lunch is cold...but I don't think it is a big deal. One meal out of the day is somewhat out of your control. You can control breakfast and dinner etc. I say don't sweat the small stuff...wait until your kids get to hs and their friends get their # to use to buy food....and they charge food to that kid lol...In the end, it's all about the whole days foods and activites that shape your kid..
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I rarely remember eating school lunch, I was always picky. My parents did something similar, we could have one "hot " lunch a week if we wanted it and a milk to go with our bag lunch. I ate PB&J and pretzels for probably 4 years straight. :laugh: Even in high school I brought my lunch. I usually packed a bagel with peanut butter and pretzels because that was the only thing the would keep me full from lunch time through the end of dance team practice at 430 or 5 pm. if I wanted to buy a lunch I would bring my own money and get one of those giant pretzels with cheese sauce. :noway: Looking back it was a wonder I didn't weigh 1,000 lbs but then again I was dancing 18 hours a week. lol
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I found an interesting homemade alternative to lunchables here that are healthier and cheaper:

http://www.squawkfox.com/2011/09/09/lunchables/

Gave me some neat ideas!

This is great. My daughter is 10 now so getting a little bit old for some of the ideas but these look really cute. BTW she doesn't like crackers w seeds though.... *sigh*
  • faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don’t allow my children to eat school lunches either. I find it odd that your school would let her do that for a month. My daughter’s teacher knows why I don’t allow them to have school lunch and they make sure to call me if she forgets her lunch so I can bring her something if I am able. We have to fill out a form at school to preorder our children’s lunches and sign at the bottom if they have hot lunch. If we don’t get those forms filled out and signed then the children must call before they get a lunch. I guess this is the schools way of helping parents control what they eat. I have seen their lunches and it also brings the lunch price down. I do not let them eat the lunch because it is pre- packaged trash with very little nutritional value. I am 100% positive that it contributes to childhood obesity.

On a recent visit to my daughter’s school I made sure I said to my daughter in front of everyone very loud that the hot lunches that the other kids were eating looked gross. They all thought it was funny because the kids all think it is gross too. The girl that had the hot lunch had brought her own healthy lunch to school to eat despite the hot lunch her mom had already ordered. When I asked her mom why she got two lunches her mother told me that she is eligible for free lunch but won’t eat it so still brings and packs her own lunch. The mother seemed irritated about the fact that her daughter did that but I told her good for her daughter for wanting to eat something healthy.

I have found ways to pack hot lunch too but it does not include very many things. I will heat up the soup and put it in a really good thermos and the kids tell me it is still hot when lunch time comes. Make sure the thermos is plastic and one that can take a beating because otherwise it will break in their bag. I am not sure if this works with other hot meals.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I live in Australia sometimes. Our kids take their own lunch, it's usually:

- sandwich
    -crackers (sometimes w cheese)
    -string cheese
    -fruit

This includes her morning snack. The kids have a five minute break at about 10 am for "fruit snack" time.

Once a fortnight she is allowed a "lunch order" which is a paid lunch provided through the school by a local shop. This may be something like hot chips, meat pie or nuggets (occasionally), but is just as likely to be a sushi hand roll, toasted sandwich or fried rice. I think this is pretty typical here.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm a parent of an elementary school child and a middle schooler. Interestingly enough I was working in the school cafeteria as a lunch lady . I learned so much about the politics involved with our school lunch programs. It's very discouraging. The quality of the lunches is determined by state guidelines. Most likely the school contracts out their lunch programs to the lowest bidder every five years or so. And I mean the lowest bidder.
    I learned that our program last year was based on a specific calorie goal. The children selected minimal of two of the following;
    A protein, a whole grain or a fruit/vegetable. Sounds reasonable right. It actually worked like this. We would prepare a salad bar with fresh salad, individual servings of fruit, carrots, celery, cucumber, and broccoli. Would the kids go near the salad bar -no. I bribed them, those that made a nice salad I would give them croutons. If I put the croutons out on the salad bar, kids would fill their plates with 1-6 cups of croutons.
    Now the terrible part is that with the state guidelines, the most cost effective items THAT Kids WILL eat are as follows; hamburger, cheeseburger, chicken nuggets, pizza, spaghetti of some sort, sub sandwiches, Bosco sticks (bread with mozzarella inside), French toast sticks, bagels with cream cheese, sub sandwiches and occasionally fish sticks (which most kids trashed).
    Remember, this is cost effective. We have many children that are on a free lunch program, so our taxes are paying for thousands of kids to just get one meal in their belly. And the majority of kids will not eat what is healthy, because it doesn't taste as good. Therefore, they won't eat their lunch at all and then parents call me to complain.
    I've seen it from both sides. I pack my kids lunch. Occasionally I'd let them buy. I have more control when I pack their lunches.

In regards to your son and the milk situation. I dealt with that all the time. We have two of us lunch ladies and 200-250 kids to serve. We constantly had kids "dine and dash". Not realizing that they had to pay for milk or their food. We have all our kids accounts on line. I'd tell the parents to check it out. Regularly, we had children whose parents packed them lunch, but the kids wanted pizza instead. The kids ditch their lunch and buy it instead. I get the angry phone call. I usually know the kids well so the next day I'd always ask the kid if their mom packed them a lunch. If they say yes I ask them '"shouldn't you eat what your mom packed"..they reply "but I don't like it.". I try to reason with them, but I can't say no to the child. If they are in my line, my job was to make sure they get something to eat. We had quite a few kids flagged because of these issues. I usually tried to work with the parents individually. Most of the time it worked nicely and parents, kids, we're happy. But some parents :huh: .

In this economy, it's going to get worse. So please pack your child's lunch, and remember that there are nice lunch ladies out there.:flowerforyou:
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I am a lunchlady from a very small town and i have seen it all. When i started working in the food service we had french fries, onion rings, potatoe wedges with liquid chees, chips and little debbie cakes the kids could buy ala cart. (this was highschool) A few years back, oh about 5, we took out all the fryers, little debbie cakes and no more chips unless they are the baked. Our menu has changed to more, much more fresh, home grown, well state side, fruit and veggies. We offer fresh salads, a subway type wrap line, yogurt parfait and vegitarian choices each and every day. Yes we do still offer pizza, which i hand make, not the type out of the freezer. We use low fat cheeses and most of the meals are chicken. We have also gone whole wheat. I make fresh bread each day. When the changes came we were like oh no the kids will not eat this, and boy did we hear it from the older kids. I work at the middle school now and started the year, this was 3 years ago total change over, and i did not have one negitive from any of the kids. While we do still offer chips, which are baked, and a chocolat chip cooke, which is low fat whole grain on the ala cart we try to limit how much the kids can buy. Now this is the kitchen i work in. We have also let our parents know that it is up to them if they do not want their children to buy alot of extras. The parents can go into their childrens lunch accounts and block certain foods or put a spending limit on their accounts. With all this said i have visited other schools and seen what was offered and what their kids were buying. It blew my mind. As for the over charging someone needs to have a huge talk with the people that are cashing out the kids. I really dont understand why they would do that. Not that i don't mess up now and then but wow charging something that the kids dont' get nope not right. oh and just one more thing if you are unhappy with the lunches that your school offers please go talk to your administration. They are the ones that can approve, or disapprove a new food system.
  • Ms_Lassie
    Ms_Lassie Posts: 24
    Options
    I am in Australia in a small regional town and so we don't have the issue of school provided meals. Our Primary school doesn't even have a canteen! Once a term the Parents & Friends team will have a 'food day' fundraiser which usually alternates between pizza, fancy fruit, hot dogs, pies or something similar. But this is one day out of about 50! There is also a 'breakfast club' which is cost free before school one day a week. They have toast with Vegemite, jam, nutella or cornflakes, weetbix and drinks are milk, milk & milo, water or juice

Thus it is packed lunches every day for us. My boys have a number of other students in their classes with food allergies & intolerances so nuts, seeds, eggs & fish are out. But the staple is one sandwich with vegemite & cheese or sliced meat & cheese. 2 peices of fruit a day - apples, pears, grapes, mandarines, bananas, watermelon, strawberries - whatever is in season! And then the treat which is mostly a small container of biscuits. Usually I try for homemade like anzacs, yo-yos but also peices of slice or a cake slice or muffin. It maybe a treat still but I feel better for going homemade!

The kids are encouraged to bring water with them and are allowed to have them at their desks so they may sip whenever they are thirsty. During the mid-morning between lessons they have a fruit time which is 10-15mins where all the students sit for some show & tell while eating a peice of fruit. Lunchtime is 10mins for sitting, eating & hopefully digesting properly then 40mins for playing!

Our school has also recently gone to waste-free so any rubbish (excepting compostable e.g. apple cores, banana skins etc.) is sent home... Not necessarily for me but this has changed the way some parents have packed lunches.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I am a Speech Pathologist and work with severely impaired high school students. Our lunches are ok, not great. There are a lot of options, including a salad bar, but most of my students eat chicken patties and nachos 4/5 days. That said, many of my students bring lunches from home that make me gag. Constantly eating sugar, preservative, fat filled microwavable lunches that are likely only 50% food. I admire your desire to pack your kids healthy lunches and teach them the importance of a well balanced diet (including treats once in awhile). I think parent education is crucial, especially with parents of special needs children. Trying to please your child will not always be in their best interest in the future.

Sorry that didn't answer your question. I think cold lunches are totally fine. Bring your kid to the grocery store and let him/her pick out some snacks and treats, but also expose them to new flavors every so often. You're doing the right thing so far!