Food Scales

Options
I was wondering if anyone out there uses a food scale to make sure they are eating what they think they're eating. It's kinda hard to know that your chicken breast is indeed 5 oz. so obviously a scale would be good for this kind of thing. I want to get a kitchen scale but I don't know what kind. I have found two I like, one of them is really tiny weighs things up to 1 lb. but is really accurate with smaller weights say 3 oz. or less. The other one can weigh up to 11 lbs. but is not extremely accurate when you have smaller portions on it. (anything under 3 oz. or so could read up to 1/2 and oz. off.) Just wondering if any of you use them and which one would probably work better for our purposes. Any input is appreciated! :o)

Replies

• pauladavies86
    pauladavies86 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone out there uses a food scale to make sure they are eating what they think they're eating. It's kinda hard to know that your chicken breast is indeed 5 oz. so obviously a scale would be good for this kind of thing. I want to get a kitchen scale but I don't know what kind. I have found two I like, one of them is really tiny weighs things up to 1 lb. but is really accurate with smaller weights say 3 oz. or less. The other one can weigh up to 11 lbs. but is not extremely accurate when you have smaller portions on it. (anything under 3 oz. or so could read up to 1/2 and oz. off.) Just wondering if any of you use them and which one would probably work better for our purposes. Any input is appreciated! :o)
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    They are great. Don't spend a lot of money on one. Make sure you can adjust the weight. I used mine a lot at first and now I can pretty much eyeball it. I do use measuring cups all the time.
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    i do ,for me i like to make sure i get the all the food per serving ( 4 oz of chicken ) i want all 4 oz
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    I recommend the smaller scale. Its easier to store and more relevant for one person's food. Besides, how often will you need to weigh 11 lbs of food?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I got a great one on Amazon just a couple of weeks ago for under $5. It has a little container that sits on top to hold stuff that can be removed and washed. Works great!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I have a small, pretty flat stainless steel one that I bought for around $25 at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I LOVE it. And it sits right on top of my stainless steel coffee maker and doesn't get in the way at all. When I need it, I just reach for it, measure, clean it off and put it back. I just found this one below...man, I wish that was there when I went to buy one. That's pretty cool!!!

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14807179

The one I have is below
    http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=10635
  • pauladavies86
    pauladavies86 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have a small, pretty flat stainless steel one that I bought for around $25 at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I LOVE it. And it sits right on top of my stainless steel coffee maker and doesn't get in the way at all. When I need it, I just reach for it, measure, clean it off and put it back. I just found this one below...man, I wish that was there when I went to buy one. That's pretty cool!!!

The one I have is below

yours looks really nice! I ordered one that will work for it... right before I saw your post... now I want the same one you have... lol. oh well.
  • neome90
    neome90 Posts: 420
    Options
    I recommend the smaller scale. Its easier to store and more relevant for one person's food. Besides, how often will you need to weigh 11 lbs of food?
    . . :smile: I also recommend the smaller one. I just bought one myself one a couple weeks ago and love it. Its woking out great for me. It is a CEN-TECH digital pocket scale , and weighs out a maximum weight capacity of 17.64 ounces. It was a gift , so not sure where it was purchased. :smile:
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    On this subject - with chicken, do we measure the weight before or after it's cooked? I have pre-measured all of my chicken breasts and the frozen them, so I have tons of little 3 oz portions in my freezer, but I know the weight changes after I cook it and I'm never sure which value to enter in my diary.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    On this subject - with chicken, do we measure the weight before or after it's cooked? I have pre-measured all of my chicken breasts and the frozen them, so I have tons of little 3 oz portions in my freezer, but I know the weight changes after I cook it and I'm never sure which value to enter in my diary.
    the database has listings for raw & cooked foods, so whatever is easier for you.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options

The one I have is below

yours looks really nice! I ordered one that will work for it... right before I saw your post... now I want the same one you have... lol. oh well.

Yeah, I have to say I really like mine. It is small and like I said it sits right on top of my coffee maker in the corner so you can barely see it since it blends in!! Hehe And it is very easy to clean. Even if I put raw chicken I can just spray with cleaner and wipe off easily