How often should/do you weigh yourself??

Options
SHould it be everyday or just once a week? I sometimes can't resist jumping on the scales everyday when I am "in the weight loss zone"!

Replies

• Mrs_Sheila
    Mrs_Sheila Posts: 39
    Options
    That's a personal call. Personaly I track daily. There are some who are going to say once a week. By tracking daily vs once a week I don't "miss" a good weigh in. Sometimes waiting to only weigh in once a week you miss that one low day, and the next day you bounce back up a pound or so. ~ Gosh I hope that isn't confusing as it looks to me! LOL :huh:
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Saturday Morning, or sometimes every other Saturday Morning. I don't weigh myself everyday only because I would feel like my goals were moving a lot slowly! I'm patient though, when it comes to the scale.
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Once a week, usually on Sunday. Daily would be confusing for me, and dejecting, depending on the situation.
  • yummunch
    yummunch Posts: 6
    Options
    As i'm in the zone at the mo I think I will weigh each morning and then when I start to get used to it then i will go to weekly. I'll have to get the other half to hide the scales!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It is up to you. Some people can't weight daily without freaking out over a tiny increase on the scale. I personally found that weighing daily gave me a better idea of a normal range for my body, helped me realize what things cause me to retain water, etc. It also helps to curb those freak outs because I know what is "normal" for me.
  • xoFABULOUSxo
    Options
    I weigh in daily. It keeps me motivated to watch the pounds go down every day (even if it's only a half pound).
  • HunterKiller_wechange
    HunterKiller_wechange Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Every day after my morning wee. Every little helps! :)
  • laxwyo
    laxwyo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Every day after you wake up, if you are higher, you didn't at fat! But the mornings will much more consistent.
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    although I know I shouldn't. I do too. but I also monitor myself with a tape measure. sometimes the scale just doesn't move but my clothes seem to be falling off. :tongue:
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I use to weigh every day when I woke up. I'm getting a little less compulsive about weighing but still find it hard at times. If nothing else, I try to weigh on Saturday and Sunday mornings to get an idea of my weekly weight (but honestly, I like to know where i'm at). I agree, if you know where you are most of the time, you understand the ups and downs (water weight, small gains, etc) and freak out less.
  • danbradley1970
    danbradley1970 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been doing twice a week, been pretty motvational
  • joannlynn2
    joannlynn2 Posts: 22
    Options
    I weigh myself weekly. I don't pay as much attention to the # on the scale, as I do with how my clothes fit and how I look. If I weighed myself everyday, it would be frustrating and I wouldn't see much of a difference on a daily basis...Weekly is perfect.
  • jasmina_chic
    Options
    I believe that weighing yourself once a week at the same time (eg: monday mornings at 6am before you eat breakfast) will give you enough time know whether you are on the right track and losing weight. Weighing yourself at different times of the day may discourage you because even after drinking water the scale might say 'gain 1 lb' yet you havent.,..its just because you have drunk that water and it hasnt gone out of you yet! Weighing yourself too often may discourage you...
  • e46dude
    e46dude Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's really personal preference. I weigh daily, but only log losses. I tend to lose pounds in bunches. I'll lose 3lbs over a couple days and then be static or even up a little for 5-10 days before the next loss occurs.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I only get weighed when I go to the docs. I wont keep a scale in my house, I will obsess over it.
  • jml7403
    jml7403 Posts: 11
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and keep close watch on my graph. (fitness pal & Wii Fit) It is a better way to see where my ups and downs are.
  • hollymintz
    Options
    i was weighing twice a week, but have recently moved to weekly, on Mondays. and on another note, you have to use the same scale... ive noticed a difference from my scale at work (airline baggage scales) to the scale at the YMCA at least a 4-6lb difference. I am strictly using the YMCA... that way i have to go to the gym and workout :)
  • candacedon
    candacedon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily just because I need to keep myself on track. If I have an unusually 'bad' weigh in one morning, I know to up my exercise and really watch what I eat the next couple of days. I do have to fight the urge to beat myself up if I put on a lb. or two, but as long as my weekly total is less than the previous week, I'm generally ok with small daily fluctuations.
  • j_harley50
    j_harley50 Posts: 36
    Options
    Your weight goes up and down by 2lbs naturally in any one day. So I weigh my self once a week on a Sunday as its a better reflection in overall weight loss.

Anyone is free to add me if they like.

:)
  • buzzchic
    buzzchic Posts: 2
    Options
    I have been told several times to only weigh once per week, but that does not stop me from weighing myself several times daily. I can see the benefit of weighing once per week toward the end of the week, in the morning, after the morning wee. It is usually better for my psyche, as weight usually takes about 36 hours to catch up and my highest calorie days are over the weekend when I am spending time with and cooking for my family. Tuesday mornings are horrendous for me. During the week, I drink protein shakes, eat salads and exercise during the day and have a sensible meal with my family, so by the end of the week, my weekend weight is off and I don't feel sick looking at the scale.
    There lies my logic! lol