other work outs with insanity?

Options
I guess this is a two point question.

Has anyone done the insanity program but also did other workouts throughout the week - specifically swimming laps, spin class and running?

Has anyone used the program in a different way - as in only 2-3 days a week so that you could incorporate other modes as well?

Im in relax mode right now but July first I will start a 18 week marathon training program. Obviously my long run day would be an insanity rest day. I was thinking of giving myself two insanity rest days. One being a complete rest day and one being just a rest from insanity so I can get my long runs in. But that means in addition to insanity I would be doing some speed intervals, 2 days of swimming laps and a spin class here and there (I really like spin).

Im sure your asking - then why do insanity? I like the challange of it. I love when I trialed it how my core started to feel. My hubby is doing it so its nice to have something to do together.

Thanks

Replies

• chrissyrn04
    chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • greggags2
    greggags2 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have done P90X and Insanity The Asylum. I do hybrids of both workouts to incorporate other workouts so I don't get bored. I would just make sure your not overtraining so make sure you get proper rest and eat enough calories so your not always tired and worn out during the day
  • jmdax
    jmdax Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm in the third week of doing P90X/Insanity Hybrid. It's the weight training of P90X mixed with the cardio of Insanity. So 2-3 days per week, I'm doing Insanity workouts. Don't think I'd like doing Insanity alone as I enjoy doing weight training as well. Insanity workouts do burn a lot of calories.
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    I do Insanity in the before work and elliptical after work. I have stopped running while doing Insanity because of how high impact Insanity is. I keep track of calories burned each work out. I have found that I burn more calories when I do Insanity after work so I am thinking about switching that up. I figure I could burn 15%-20% more calories in the same time by switching up workouts. I also lift weights m,w,f
  • holico26
    holico26 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 weeks into Insanity and training for my first 5K. I know a 5K is child's play compared to a marathon, but I found my endurance went up far better and faster WITH Insanity than training alone. Before I did insanity I could barely make it to 2.5 miles, now I run a 5K 2-3 a week in addition to my scheduled workouts, no problems. My only advice would be to NOT run on the Insanity rest day. I exercised 7 days a week for the first 2 weeks and I really started to feel fatigued & my shins were killing me.
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It's doable, you just need to make sure you're eating enough to fuel your body. Any cardio, especially running and Insanity, will burn massive amounts of calories. Also, make sure you're not over training. You can use Inansity to supplement, but I wouldn't try to do it as you would without training for a marathon!
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Should start another thread: other work with outs insanity :smile: