How often should/do you weigh yourself??

Options
2»

Replies

• wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Daily/twice daily/sometimes more................ but I only log it/worry about it once a week which makes the world a better place :-) It helps me to realise how much fluctuation there actually is on a daily basis
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but only log once a week. I can stay pragmatic about the gains and loses through the week and only the weigh in total counts.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after the compulsory bathroom trip. I know at any one time the 2-3lb gap I'm fluctuating in. I also know how certain foods (sodium and alcohol in my case) affect weight loss. I have another app where I track this and it does all kinds of calculations on it (I'm a maths geek so I love me some graphs, forecasts and averages!!!)

I only officially weigh in on MFP once a week on a Monday/Tuesday then I get to see my weekly losses on here.

I agree with what most say, it's personal preference. Go for whatever you're comfortable with. I know some peopl get obsessed with the number and it can de-motivate them whereas it doesnt bother me at all - so long as the general trend if downwards I'm happy. xx
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    once a week. when i began i was weighing everyday and that began to drive me rat bat crazy. so now i just hop on once a week. no particular day
  • autumnparty
    autumnparty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do what your comfortable with. I like to weigh daily, it keeps me in check, but if I wake up and feel 'heavier' that day I will skip it. I'll do the body fat percentage and measuring once a week.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Once a week!
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Agree it's a personal thing. If you find yourself freaking out or obssessing over normal fluctuations from day to day, once a week might be better. Some folks go once a month.

What matters most is that the time of day and what you're wearing (or not) remains consistent.

I weigh every morning after I visit the bathroom and just before I shower (so I'm wearing nothing at all).
  • Parrasue
    Parrasue Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, but "weigh in" once per week.

Weighing daily helps me to realise there are normal fluctuations. If the scale shows a loss I use that as encouragement to keep going, if it shows again - more motivation to do more exercise.

Weighing first thing each morning sets the tone for the day - today is a good day to lose weight!
  • anya63
    anya63 Posts: 1
    Options
    The scale is not a truly helpful tool, as there are just too many varibles it cannot reflect. A lot of those fluctuations people are speaking of are just water. If you are exercising, you may be adding muscle, a very desirable type of gain! What you want to lose is fat, but the scale can't tell you why the number is going up or down, so why enslave yourself to the silly thing? A tape measure is better, but how your clothes fit is most telling. Once a month is enough to check it, after your period is fully over. More than once a day should be a red flag that you are in an obsessive zone and not good for mental health.

It is a paradim shift that will free you.
  • beachloe
    beachloe Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was told you should check it once a week, but I check everyday.
  • mikewpg1ca
    mikewpg1ca Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Once a week works for me. Daily would drive me nuts, with the ups and downs of our bodies and water retention. Once a week balanced that out. I also measure once a month, because as others have pointed out, the scale depending on where you are starting and what your goals are, isn't always the best indicator.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself every time i go in the bathroom, and take measurements once a week.
    i jot down my morning weight (or whenever i wake up) for 7 days, add them up for the week and divide by 7.
  • yougojo170
    yougojo170 Posts: 62
    Options
    I weigh myself weekly. Its a personal choice really. I am tempted often to weigh myself daily but when I do that I often get depressed if my weight goes up one day. I'm more encouraged when I only weigh in once a week. It gives me that push to really do good all week so I can see results on weigh in day.
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It's really personal preference. I weigh daily, but only log losses. I tend to lose pounds in bunches. I'll lose 3lbs over a couple days and then be static or even up a little for 5-10 days before the next loss occurs.

^^^
    This...

For example, I went almost a month with no loss and then lost weight each day for the next 3 days, and then again 3 days later. I'm now on day 6 with no loss but expect to see one tomorrow or the next day based on my loss history.

Always in the past when I'd be eating poorly and gaining weight, I stopped weighing. So for me, not weighing every day is like I'm giving up and gaining again. I weigh every day at the same time, once per day; I'm not obsessive about it. If my weight goes down, I log it. If it stays the same or goes up, I don't log but I look at what I need to change up so that it goes down; exercise more, less salt, less calories, more calories -- whatever trend I see.
  • propskat
    propskat Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to me the way the body fluctuates throughout the day, and how even though I sweat a ton when I exercise, I usually weigh more right after a workout! :huh:

I always weight first thing in the AM, it is the most consistent for me. But I only report/log once a week on Mondays.
  • kathrynangelabaird
    Options
    I weight myself about 3 times a week and log when I can be bothered!!

I keep my scales hidden in a cupboard in the kitchen so I'm not tempted to use them every day as I don't usually go downstairs till fully dressed.

I think after trying the dukan diet I got addicted to weighting everyday as they made you do that.
  • xrsizer4u
    xrsizer4u Posts: 3
    Options
    Daily has its + & -
    Alot can occur (and not occur) between daily weigh-ins. To be blunt, bowel movements, bloating (water for women) and just water retention. So you can do it daily but just don't get upset if it is off one day. Aim for every week (same time) and that is the "goal" day. Other times can be just motivators.