First starting out? Funny feeling?

Options
So my exercise routine has been pretty much non-existent for a long time. It's been a bit of Jillian Michaels here, 10 minutes biking there. Now I'm looking to start a proper regime.

But, the problem is, I can plan it in my head. Like 'right, I'm going to do 20 mins on the bike, 10 mins on the rower, dumbell lifts etc etc' but when It comes to actually doing it, I freak out, I suddenly feel really tired (weird I know) and put it off.

Is it because I'm expecting too much too soon? I have pretty much no stamina, but even if I do 5 mins a day, I still feel guilty and a failure.

Anyone else Had this when they first started out? I hope I explained myself well.

Replies

• josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the exercise you have planned, you are not going to want to do it. You need to find something you actually enjoy doing. But even during those times you feel tired, lazy, don't feel like doing it, sometimes once you actually start you will find you want to keep going. Just tell yourself, "okay, I will see how I feel after 10 minutes of doing it." Chances are you will want to keep going.
    I would also make sure there is nothing health wise going on, anemia, thyroid issues, etc...
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    when i first started exercising, i would only do a bike...and i would do like 15 minutes and be tired. I was afraid of the treadmill because it moved by itself and made me dizzy. I couldn't do more than 5 minutes on the elliptical. Trying to lift 8-10lbs was "omg soo heavy im dying"

I would try and plan things out and it did feel overwhelming. But I worked on it and eventually it got better.

I use the treadmills now, with no problem. The elliptical too. I stay on for 30-45 minutes and I don't feel like I'm going to die while doing it. I can lift 40lbs now, which I never thought I'd be able to do. It's all a gradual process...you do what you can, and each day do a little more than you did before. If you do 5 minutes on monday, try to do 6 on tuesday. It will happen, in time.
  • tamlynne32
    tamlynne32 Posts: 38
    Options
    I feel your pain! I think for me its not so much the actual exercise its the pain I will get in my back and legs from doing it. But I have to power through it. I think the main thing is, which I know is hard cause you want to lose the weight quick, is to start out slow. Just do the bike one day, then do the rower the next, and switch it up. Then it doesn't get boring and it doesn't overwhelm you. You can then work up to doing more everyday and you will start looking forward to it.
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I still do that to an extent - I know I need to go running, I love to run, but getting out the door is a regular problem. Then I finally get out there and beat myself up for waiting too long to go. I'm trying to get my exercise in earlier in the day - that way I won't have as much time to fret about it before I go.

To me it's really a mind game - and I have figure out ways to beat it and change the negative thinking that exhausts me too.

Good Luck!!!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Every time I excercise I feel like quitting after the first 10 mins but if I keep going I find that everything loosens up and I feel much better and it becomes easier.

Like you I had no stamina and was totally unfit when I started but now I can spend an hour and a half in the gym cardio and lifting and sometimes I even go back later for an excercise class usually Aqua aerobics, this is great excercise, fun and you don't sweat so you don't feel like you are doing as much as you are.

Keep going, keep pushing and you will be amazed how quickly your body gets fitter and can keep going for longer.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • jmcdaniel0
    jmcdaniel0 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like this before you ever begin to work out? Or is it during the work out?
  • ClareWhittaker
    Options
    I'm doing the Couch to 5K programme at the moment and every time it comes to running my 1st set of running I feel like my legs won't move. It's the worst feeling but I push on through for the 90 seconds and after that its fine. I think there is a wall that many people hit when exercising. Definitely find something that you really enjoy though. I think that makes all of the difference for motivation.
  • ClareWhittaker
    Options
    Maybe try drinking a fitness drink like Lucozade? They have stuff in them to help you with stamina when you exercise.
  • violavi
    violavi Posts: 21
    Options
    Do you feel like this before you ever begin to work out? Or is it during the work out?

It definitely is before I work out. I feel like I will fail, that I can only do 2 mins, what's the point sorta thing. Maybe it stems back from doing P.E classes at school, I spent all day, dreading them, and being really rubbish and people laughing at me.

I did manage to do 20 mins today. I did what a few suggested which was try going on for 10, then seeing from there.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels a bit like this! x