I THINK I AM DOING SOMETHING WRONG!!!!!

okay... I just started with MFP yesterday! I love the concept but I wantto make sure I am doing things right. yesterday after logging in all of my meals I still had over 1,000 cal left. I blogged yesterday and some on said to eat them up. well today I started off great. I had oatmeal for breakfast, uncrustable pb&j for snack, for lunch ( I couldnt resist) I had 10 buffalo wings w/ blue cheese, I was still full from lunch so i didnt have snack.for dinner I had a piece of baked chicken leg w/o the skin with 2 tbsp of bbq sauce, and some string beans. well with all of that .. I still have 550 cal left! HELLLLP! What am I doing wrong? what choices should I be making or is what I am doing okay ? clueless!!!!!:frown: :embarassed: :sad: :huh:

Replies

• nikki_b335
    nikki_b335 Posts: 71 Member
    okay... I just started with MFP yesterday! I love the concept but I wantto make sure I am doing things right. yesterday after logging in all of my meals I still had over 1,000 cal left. I blogged yesterday and some on said to eat them up. well today I started off great. I had oatmeal for breakfast, uncrustable pb&j for snack, for lunch ( I couldnt resist) I had 10 buffalo wings w/ blue cheese, I was still full from lunch so i didnt have snack.for dinner I had a piece of baked chicken leg w/o the skin with 2 tbsp of bbq sauce, and some string beans. well with all of that .. I still have 550 cal left! HELLLLP! What am I doing wrong? what choices should I be making or is what I am doing okay ? clueless!!!!!:frown: :embarassed: :sad: :huh:
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    If you give us your height, weight, age, and calories that this site suggests, that would help us figure it out.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    How many pounds per week did you enter as your goal in settings? Something does seem wrong, if you are eating 3 meals and 3 snacks, especially as you described, it seems unlikely that you would still have so many calories, AND not feel hungry. I'm 7 weeks in and still go to bed hungry every night! Maybe give us your meals and calories, and all the numbers, and we can figure it out!
    :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    check your settings, you may have made an error when you put in your age and weight........
  • nikki_b335
    okay Here it is...
    I am 274 lbs.
    height 5'8
    age 31
    I selected to lose 1lb a week which was recommended
    the calories it gave me for the day is 2,010
    for exercise calories to burn it was 900 a week (exercising 3 times a week for at least 30 mins )
    I am already up to 663 burned calories ( I take the stairs at work and do water aerobics twice a week)
    am I missing somtehing?

Thanks so much for the help!:flowerforyou:
  • A good healthy, higher calorie snack might be to eat some nuts, they might help you use up some of those extra calories you have left over.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Well, I'm 5'8", 215 lbs now and I get 1,640 calories - I chose sedentary on my settings. So it doesn't seem too far off. I can see how you would eat what you wrote and still have 500+ calories leftover. I would suggest adding in nuts if you can - calorie dense but really healthy. Maybe have some yogurt, even if your not really hungry. You could do a trail mix of sorts - nuts, dried fruit and maybe a few chocolate chips. Fiber One bars are great and have about 140 calories per serving. Also maybe a serving or two of milk maybe an ounce of cheese. Just some thoughts - good for you foods that will help you get where you need to be and still are healthy choices. Keep up the good work!!
  • nikki_b335
    thanks alot! if anyone has any other suggestions PLEASE let me know!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    even little things like adding fresh fruit to your oatmeal, or side salads to your other meals can eat up those calories. And don't forget you can drink your calories too! Milk, fruit & vegetable juices all have their share of calories :bigsmile: Man, I wish I had this problem, lol, I only get 1200 cals a day :grumble: And I'm not exactly little at a weight of 199, and 5'6" tall!
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Another idea is to change your settings to lose 2lbs per week. I am 5'7" and 229lbs and I get about 1900 for 1 lb a week. Which is pretty doable for me, but I am definitely under some days especially if I exercise. If I set it at 2lbs a week, it drops down to 1450 calories a day. That is too low for me, but I figure if I end up somewhere in the middle then I am doing fine. If you do drop it down to 2lbs a week, make sure you eat all those calories and your exercise calories to make sure you aren't dropping too low!
  • nikki_b335
    Dj bliss, I think I will try that! thanks

and thanks to every one else I am going to try it all! :flowerforyou: :happy: :wink: :heart:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Nikki - I'm agree with an earlier post about setting your goals to 2 lbs a week and go from there. If you find yourself really hungry, reduce it to one lb per week, but I think 2 is a reasonable goal for you. They say when you get within 10-20 lbs of your lowest goal weight, then reduce to 1lb or even 0.5 lb per week loss.

Best of luck and let us know how you do for your first weigh in!
    :flowerforyou:
  • nikki_b335
    I sure will I am so excite to to see the results! will keep you posted! thanks for the support....:flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Dj bliss, I think I will try that! thanks

and thanks to every one else I am going to try it all! :flowerforyou: :happy: :wink: :heart:

nikki,

First of, Welcome to our little slice of (low calorie) heaven.:tongue:

I commend you on taking that most difficult first step. I would tend to agree with some of the previous comments on your ability to try for a larger deficit then 1 pound per week. Given your numbers, for the time being, I think going up to 2 pounds a week is acceptable for you. If you feel comfortable with it that is. I would recommend (if you decide to up your deficit) that you re-evaluate after about 20 lbs or so and see how you feel.

That being said, here are some more calorie dense, nutritional foods that you may want to employ to help reach your caloric goals.

Cheese (specifically, hard cheeses like cheddar, I like the 50% reduced fat cabot farms cheddar)
    yogurt
    Whole wheat crackers (like wheat thins, triscuts)
    cottage cheese
    any kind of nuts (different ones have different vitamins and fat/protein content) I prefer almonds but
    that is a personal choice.
    Bananas
    Avocados
    Oatmeal (I like the weight control ones from quaker)
    Hummos (I like the garlic lovers hummos, but I think some of my co-workers prefer me to have the roasted red pepper :ohwell: )

Many of these can be cut to (or come packaged in) single serving sizes that you can throw into a small cooler bag and take with you for snacks through the day.

Best of luck to you!

-Banks
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    First of, Welcome to our little slice of (low calorie) heaven.:tongue:

Another welcome from me, Nikki!

And thanks to Banks for that little (low calorie) chuckle!

Julie:smile:
  • nikki_b335
    Hey Guys,
    Well to day I change my deficit. I am going to do the 2 lb a week. so now I have aprox. 1500 cal.
    since since I did that I am now officially in the in crowd of feeling the affects of weight lose! :bigsmile: :drinker: today I ate applesauce with my oatmeal ( and Banks I live by Quakers weight control oatmeal) :happy: I added more veggies to my lunch and just finish dinner and I have abou 50 cals left! yippy! thanks guys!
  • fatsis
    fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member
    Can I have those 550 calories????
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Hey Guys,
    Well to day I change my deficit. I am going to do the 2 lb a week. so now I have aprox. 1500 cal.
    since since I did that I am now officially in the in crowd of feeling the affects of weight lose! :bigsmile: :drinker: today I ate applesauce with my oatmeal ( and Banks I live by Quakers weight control oatmeal) :happy: I added more veggies to my lunch and just finish dinner and I have abou 50 cals left! yippy! thanks guys!
    Glad to see you added fruits and veggies, in addition to watching your number of calories, watch where they come from. Try to eat most of your calories from "healthy" foods. Lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meats and dairy, minimally processed foods.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Good luck, Nikki! I'm glad you decided to join us. In just a few days/weeks/months, you are going to see real results, feel great, look great!

Welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou: