Shin Splints

Options
I've been working out for 6 months - I've never really been a runner but I started couch to 5k and I've ran 1 time and I already have sore shins. I've got good running shoes but is there anything else I can do?

Replies

• MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Have a read ;)

http://www.webmd.boots.com/fitness-exercise/guide/shin-splints

and for running in general...

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/

I'm gonna assume you went to a professional running store and had your gait video recorded so they could assess what shoes you need to match your running style (if not, I'm sure you could pretend you did this and just get it done, it'll help you in the long run - hee hee, see what I did there?)

Simple tips
    1. New shoes every 6 months or 500 miles, whatever comes first
    2. Try to run with 2 pairs of shoes which you alternate
    3. Try to vary your training, short sprints one day, LSD another (Long/Slow/Distance), Hills, etc....
    4. Stre--eeee---tch after you run. Many articles argue about before and after or both, find what works for you.
    5. Balance your muscles, once a week, put some backward running in there, make sure it's on grass & try not to fall over. The quicker you run (and higher your knees) will help. Different muscles get engaged too :)
    6. Go running with someone who will teach you (a PT) or a runner (injured is a good start LOL) with alot of patience, most runners can't be bothered to teach people because they're trying to improve. It's a discipline, an expert will help you find your technique, running, swimming boxing or ballet, it doesn't matter, experts will stop you making bad mistakes with bad form).
    7. Have a goal! Enter a 5K race, or a 10K race within 8 weeks. It'll give you something to aim for!

Be intense!

Good luck, if I've not helped, tell me. I won't complain ;)
  • Lindsay0405
    Options
    Have a read ;)

http://www.webmd.boots.com/fitness-exercise/guide/shin-splints

and for running in general...

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/

I'm gonna assume you went to a professional running store and had your gait video recorded so they could assess what shoes you need to match your running style (if not, I'm sure you could pretend you did this and just get it done, it'll help you in the long run - hee hee, see what I did there?)

Simple tips
    1. New shoes every 6 months or 500 miles, whatever comes first
    2. Try to run with 2 pairs of shoes which you alternate
    3. Try to vary your training, short sprints one day, LSD another (Long/Slow/Distance), Hills, etc....
    4. Stre--eeee---tch after you run. Many articles argue about before and after or both, find what works for you.
    5. Balance your muscles, once a week, put some backward running in there, make sure it's on grass & try not to fall over. The quicker you run (and higher your knees) will help. Different muscles get engaged too :)
    6. Go running with someone who will teach you (a PT) or a runner (injured is a good start LOL) with alot of patience, most runners can't be bothered to teach people because they're trying to improve. It's a discipline, an expert will help you find your technique, running, swimming boxing or ballet, it doesn't matter, experts will stop you making bad mistakes with bad form).
    7. Have a goal! Enter a 5K race, or a 10K race within 8 weeks. It'll give you something to aim for!

Be intense!

Good luck, if I've not helped, tell me. I won't complain ;)

THANK YOU!
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I too did the C25K program but inside on a treadmill and once I got outside when the weather got nice I found I was getting really bad shin splints. One thing that helps me know, I learned from doing the P90X program, is when you are first stretching hold one leg off the ground and rotate your ankle around and around for about 20 rotations and go in the other direction. Switch and do the other foot. Repeat if needed. This really warms up those muscles.

Hope it helps.
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I had to take a week off because of horrible shin splints. They are still a little tender, but I am going to try to run a little tonight, but stretch really well before I head out. You have to be careful- if shin pain is really bad, DO NOT try to run through it like I did. You can cause yourself stress fractures.

Thanks for the running backwards tip- I will definately add that in!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Just because you've got good running shoes doesn't mean they fit you right. That's where I'd start.

Then, I'd get off the pavement. Find a track or grass/dirt/trail to run on. The softer surfaces can really help.

Then I'd start to look at my stride - try to lessen the impact with each stride (i.e. land softer and more towards the ball of my foot rather than heavy heel strikes).
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Then I'd start to look at my stride - try to lessen the impact with each stride (i.e. land softer and more towards the ball of my foot rather than heavy heel strikes).

As, or even more important that what part of your foot hits, make sure it hits underneath you and not out in front of you. Overstriding can hurt, no matter what part of the foot hits the ground first.