People who eat 'clean' but also over 1500 cals..how//help?

Options
Hi. I use to love eating a clean diet, I wasn't 100% but more or less. I stopped last year when I lost a serious amount of weight and ended up in hospital. Since putting the weight back on I haven't been able to find a diet that works well for me and that I can keep at for life. I'm striving to find a balance atm. I loved the clean aspect as I felt more energy etc.
When eating 'clean' I struggle to get over 1000 cals so i'd love some ideas.
FOR THOSE that may come with a smart answer of 'clean' eating - I mean no proccessed foods// junk foods.

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I wash all of my foods before I eat them. Works for me. :)
  • nongie06
    nongie06 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow, like seriously???????

I too would appreciate a proper answer to this ?
  • mymission92
    Options
    I wash all of my foods before I eat them. Works for me. :)

Good for you, happy to know that. But as I said I was referring to non processed foods.
  • RealHealthQuest
    RealHealthQuest Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    That is currently what I am striving to do. My BMR is at 1480 so I am trying to net over that every day to lose about 0.5 lbs/ week while eating healthy foods, as unprocessed as possible. It is a work in progress, but I am documenting everything I eat, including pictures and recipes, at www.realfoodquest.com. Maybe it will help.

Best of luck!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    First, please open your diary so I can see what you are eating.

Next, incorporate nuts, different fruits and veggies (like instead of having 1 veg at dinner have 2, or 2 or 3 servings), use good oils to cook with (olive, etc), have brown rice, whole grain cous cous, quinoa or a sweet potato with dinner - they are all good for you, natural foods and high in calories.

What is funny is that I eat clean - you can look at my diary for ideas - and I have issues staying under my goal on some days...
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I eat clean and easily get up to 2000. quinoa, nuts, raisins, broccoli, eggs, fish, butter, there are countless possibilities and countless yummy possibilities, wild rice, new potatoes, dark chocolate, there are endless possibilities and endless recipes online, use your imagination.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Organic eggs are clean. Organic grass fed butter is clean. Coconut Oil is clean. Avocados are clean. Bananas are clean. Nuts and nut butters are clean and all of these are calorie dense. I eat fairly clean and have no trouble doing over 2000 calories per day. Maybe your definition of clean is too rigid?
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Bigger portions perhaps? Use olive oil in your cooking, it has a bunch! Top salads with nuts, raisins, chicken, etc. Go for the good, high calorie foods and you'll reach your goal in no time.
  • mymission92
    Options
    Thanks Guys! I think I need to re-adjust my portion sizes as if I have nuts I would usually only have like 6/8 which does not add up too alot. At the time I always think my portion size is fairly big but when I look back it actually isn't/ I will also start cooking with oil as I do not usually do this.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    My diet isn't perfect, but even if I do have a perfect clean day I have no problem getting 1400.

Eggs scrambled in milk or a bowl of muesli and milk for breakfast, fruit and milky coffee too.
    Fruit, nuts or yoghurt for a snack.
    Lunch - sandwich or wrap and soup, maybe leftovers from last night.
    Peanut butter on toast in the afternoon maybe.
    Stir fry for dinner, using frozen veggies so they cook in their water rather than oil, and quinoa or brown rice.
    Frozen berry, yoghurt and honey blended into 'ice cream' for dessert.

I eat very often, and drink protein powder in water sometimes too, to balance out if my carbs or fat are too high.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I eat about 2700 calories a day. So I do treat myself and I am not as rigid about what I eat as I used to be but I do make most of my food on a daily basis verses buying pre-packaged. It really isn't hard to eat lots and eat clean. Even if you don't make your own nut butters and yogurt you can buy the brands that fall under the clean guidelines. Avocados, cheese, nuts, more protein and hummus just to name a few high calorie healthy clean foods to eat plenty of! I cook with coconut oil and olive oil and use coconut milk in protein shakes.

Don't be so scared of fats when they are healthy ones. You need them for your brain function and great hair!:bigsmile:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys! I think I need to re-adjust my portion sizes as if I have nuts I would usually only have like 6/8 which does not add up too alot. At the time I always think my portion size is fairly big but when I look back it actually isn't/ I will also start cooking with oil as I do not usually do this.

Oils are processed...