Take an extra second...

Options
This is what I posted on the MFP Runners Club thread today (instead of re-typing it, for the sake of time):

Had a TERRIBLE run this morning... a old b*tch in an SUV literally almost hit me! She missed me by less than a foot as I dove across the rest of the road and onto the sidewalk. I was at a 4 way stop and the two cars going perpendicular to me went through the intersection, so then it was my turn. The cars all stopped for me to cross and then as I got in front of the SUV she started to take off! noway After I scraped myself up off the sidewalk I went to her window and started screaming and yelling... I can't say what I called her or I'll get kicked off MFP for my language. She was trying to talk to me through her closed window and I just kept yelling "Roll the window down!! I can't hear you, b*tch!!". But she didn't, she just drove off. She knew she was wrong- I was in the pedestrian crosswalk, it's a state law in CT to yield to pedestrians, and had she looked to her left AT ALL, even once, she would have seen me standing there (in my lime green shirt I might add) waiting for the other two cars before her to pass. I had been standing there perfectly still for at least 15 to 20 seconds, so she clearly never even looked to the left. People like that shouldn't be on the road.... she made me SO angry! explode

I guess it's a reminder of how careful we all have to be out on the roads... whether you're driving or running, walking, rollerblading, or anything else... PLEASE be super careful today and everyday! Take an extra second to really look both ways, completely stop at that stop sign, slow down, and do what it takes to keep you and everyone else safe. Sometimes it just takes something like this to happen, a super close call, to remind us of things we sometimes tend to slack on. Have a great day, and be careful out there! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Thank god you're okay! This is when I think I should invest in a Road ID bracelet.. so that if by some unfortunate accident I get hit while out, they have my my name, age, emergency contacts, etc. This story makes me want to get one now.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Excellent idea... I should do the same- we have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. Like most people, I have no phone and no ID or anything with me when I run. :ohwell:
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Yeah I probably wouldn't have rolled my window down for you either. :laugh: I'd be driving off scared! :embarassed: Glad you didn't get hit! Seriously. It's a tough world out there for runners!
  • savvystephy
    Options
    yeah.. I am going to buy one now. Roadid.com is where I found one. I am getting the interactive Road ID since I am very mobile (staying here for a year, going to grad school next year, have no idea where I will be after that). There is a phone number and web address on the ID where the emergency responder can call or use the internet to access all of your information which is updatable. For the same price as a standard ID, you get the first year of the interactive service free, then after that it is only $10 / year, which is cheaper than having a website. So, I think I am going to invest in it instead of having to buy a new ID every year or couple of years.

Yeah, I don't carry anything with me when I am out doing C25K training.

Edit: Just bought the road ID interactive. It cost $30. I think $30 is well worth my life for emergency responders to know my age, emergency contacts, etc. Thanks for posting this - it motivated me to actually buy one.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for your mishap and I will honestly say I have been on BOTH sides of this story! Sometimes we just do NOT look, we ALL have done it while driving and I was sooooo scared and soooo sorry.It could have been a treacherous error! I have been almost hit too and the anger is a reaction of being so afraid for your life!! I run here in Montana and now fear being SHOT because it is hunting season! I wear bright orange but still fear someone is a terrible shooter, I always tell my family my path so if I am not back to come looking for me and the dogs that run with me!!! Chin up and give thanks that you are being blessed with another day and I bet that lady will be more aware of her surrounding while driving!!!
  • rstarks54
    Options
    Let me start by saying, she was entirely in the wrong. What concerns me is your reaction. How often do we harm OURSELVES with these explosive reactions? Yes, she almost committed a serious error, but was yours any better? Better to forgive, for yourself anyway....Best to you always, Rick
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Well, my reaction was what it was. Of course I could have handled the situation better, most of us have situations everyday that we could have handled better. I'm not necessarily proud of my reaction, but I don't believe it was terribly "wrong" of me and I think it's one of those situations that you don't know what you would do until it happens to you. I'm not going to defend my actions to a stranger, and didn't post my story to ask for feedback, just to try to encourage us all- runners or drivers- to take an extra second to make sure we're safe.
  • savvystephy
    Options
    Well, my reaction was what it was. Of course I could have handled the situation better, most of us have situations everyday that we could have handled better. I'm not necessarily proud of my reaction, but I don't believe it was terribly "wrong" of me and I think it's one of those situations that you don't know what you would do until it happens to you. I'm not going to defend my actions to a stranger, and didn't post my story to ask for feedback, just to try to encourage us all- runners or drivers- to take an extra second to make sure we're safe.

I think your reactions were fine. I am sure I would act the say if I was almost hit by a car.

Thank you for posting this. I did buy a Road ID and should get it in a couple weeks to run with. :flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    My son and I are both pedestrians every day so I know how dangerous it can be when you're on foot. Most drivers don't look around for pedistrians or for someone on a bicycle either for that matter. My son has had a few almost serious incidents while trying to cross the street on a bicylce. He's had one lady motion for him to go across and then step on the gas when he did and she knocked him over. Other times, he's made eye contact with the driver to make sure they see him and after starting across the street with the walk signal, the driver would start to pull out and either hit him or almost hit him. I've also had drivers pull out of a business and pull right up onto a crosswalk or sidewalk and them motion for me to go across. In those instances I would have to wallk out into the street to get across in from of them so I'll either wait until the driver pulls out or go behind them. We live in Washington State and I'll telling you in Kent where we live it seems to me like drivers just absolutely do not like pedistrians. I'm very untrusting of drivers.

I'm glad you're ok and thank your for posting your experience and for warning others to be safe.
  • LittleSister
    LittleSister Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Have to throw in a personal story here - it kind of relates, but it's from the point of view of the woman who was driving. I'm not excusing her at all, because she was totally in the wrong. But here goes . . .

It was many years ago. I was about 20 years old. I was driving to my parents house down a two lane highway. I guess I was eager to see my parents, because I accidentally turned on to this road and cut off a semi truck! I could have killed myself. He put his horn on and veered to avoid me. He could have killed himself too. Anyway, I just felt awful. I accelerated to put as much distance between him and myself, but clearly I angered him, because he accelerated too, to chase me.

I reached one of those country diners, and pulled into the parking lot. He pulled in too. I was so shaken up from almost killing both of us, plus terrified of what he was going to do, plus feeling horribly guilty, that I just burst into tears.

He approached the car, but before he could say anything, I jumped out of the car and ran at him, sobbing "I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry!" and "Thank you for not killing me!"

I'm pretty sure he was prepared to yell at me, but when he saw how pathetic I was, he just said "Okay, lady, but you have to drive more carefully!" I just kept sobbing "I know I know, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!"

He then suggested I go into the diner to have some tea to calm my nerves before I continue with my drive.

Anyway, that woman who almost killed you probably felt the same way. She probably didn't roll the window down because she was afraid of you! And for the record, she should drive more carefully too.
  • rstarks54
    Options
    I didn't mean to offend, as I HAVE been in the same situation. I was struck while bike riding, and airlifted by flight for life...The ladies reaction was one of fear, and understanding that she almost killed someone, and yours was simply a fight or flight reaction, quite understandable under the given situation. I don't mean to sound preachy, but what I was referring to was you cannot control the actions of others, only of yourself. You had every right to be annoyed, but sometimes accidents do happen. I wish you the best, Rick