Sign on the Wall at the Gym (pic)

Options
billsica
billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
So, what do you think about this inspiring sign? Agree or BS.

2012-06-06%252020.14.05.jpg
Lower Weights = More Reps = Better Technique = Greater Muscle Development

Also here is a shocked CPR baby.
2012-06-07%252010.59.29.jpg

Replies

• IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I think the point is they are trying to get folks to learn proper form on lower weights before increasing to heavier loads.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'd be doing serious HIIT sprinting out of that gym to a different gym.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think the point is they are trying to get folks to learn proper form on lower weights before increasing to heavier loads.

There are more effective ways to do that than to spread worthless broscience around.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

There are more effective ways to do that than to spread worthless broscience around.

Agreed! I was trying to put a positive spin to it. Basically, I think the statement is crap.
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Better technique always.

Everytime I got to the gym I always see some guy swinging a 25kg dumbell as a attempt for doing dumbell curls, when he should probably be doing about 10-13kg max.

Reps I think 8-12.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    All I see in this pic is some hotty in the mirror..
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Honestly...I think they are posting that more for safety reasons
  • Cmh1211
    Cmh1211 Posts: 104
    Options
    i think the baby read that sign and didnt agree.

lets be real though, most gyms, most ppl look like they are lifting more then they can just to make a statement.

poor form, lots of yelling, too much talking, nice clothing etc

my motto, if u cant lift it more then once, u cnt lift it!

la fitness member for 5years. i saw it all.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    it could be for safety measures. I wonder how many inexperienced people grab heavy ways, have bad form and then get injured?
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    i dont like it.SMASH!
  • Xbwalker
    Xbwalker Posts: 65
    Options
    The sign should read, "CPR Baby is shocked at how small your muscles are". That should provide all the inspiration you need.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i dont like it.SMASH!

I never lift with perfect form. If i can do it with perfect form, the weight aint heavy enough.
  • ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 2nd part, Better Technique= Better muscle development.
    But, Lower Weights = More Reps does not = Better Technique = Greater Muscle Development

If your form is sh!tty, and you drop the weight and do more sh!tty reps with less weight, the net gain is zero...
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea that technique is important to muscle development but it reminds me too much of the women I know that lift little 5lb weights a million times to prevent getting "bulky"
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

^^^This^^^.

Many in gyms try to impress by lifting heavier than they can do with good form which can lead to injuries--this may be what they are trying to counter-balance. Those 5 lb dumb bells are best used for paperweights, however... Rapid movement with weights can be hard on the joints. Weights that do not create a work load for the muscles do not do any good and are a waste of time. Weights attempted with poor form are an accident waiting to happen... Balance in all things. Push the weight but don't over do it.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

I don't see how that's broscience. Wouldn't broscience be lift as much as possible the worst way possible, but act like you know what you're doing....?
  • sapienti
    sapienti Posts: 17
    Options
    My $0.02...

Appropriate Weights + Appropriate Reps + Best Technique = Greater Muscle Development
  • Lupiemomma30
    Lupiemomma30 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    That's there for safety measures. A lot of people go heavier than their form can allow, which makes them more prone to injury.
  • Lupiemomma30
    Lupiemomma30 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My $0.02...

Appropriate Weights + Appropriate Reps + Best Technique = Greater Muscle Development

Well said.
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    baby is a little pale, you may need to do CPR on it.