App vs machine calories

Options
I just downloaded an app that has many reviews for being reliable. It had me put in my weight to figure out calories. Then I hopped on my stationary bike to see how it compared to the settings, and it only took 6 min on the app to burn 100 calories, while the bike was close to 22 minutes. The app seems to calculate calories burned like MFP does, at least it's a closer number. My bike is always about a 1/3 of on here. What numbers do I use? Thank you!

Replies

• iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i go off of what the machine says no matter what. I think that MFP quantities are based soley on user entries and you cant always count on that being accurate for you.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I would go with the bike...

I have a lower calorie burn on the bike vs something like an elliptical or an arc trainer according to my HRM...
  • emom3boys
    emom3boys Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That makes sense. Thanks. Guess the main thing would be to plan on the low end and if I'm really doing more then it is a bonus.
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Get a KiFit (UK) or a Bodybugg (US) if you have the means. That will tell you for certain how much you are burning.
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I plan to always go by what the machine says. And if I'm outside riding a bike, then I refer what the stationary bike might say compared to the mph I'm going, etc. Same with walking outside vs. inside. If I can do a 20 minute mile on the treadmill and I time myself outside, I'm doing roughly the same in and out. The only thing not figured in is the incline I use (normally 11-12%).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded an app that has many reviews for being reliable. It had me put in my weight to figure out calories. Then I hopped on my stationary bike to see how it compared to the settings, and it only took 6 min on the app to burn 100 calories, while the bike was close to 22 minutes. The app seems to calculate calories burned like MFP does, at least it's a closer number. My bike is always about a 1/3 of on here. What numbers do I use? Thank you!

Neither the ap nor the machine are likely to be accurate .... neither one can guage your current fitness level. A heart rate monitor compares your resting heart rate with your exertion heart rate. It also factors in age & gender.

Go with the lowest number ... if you are relatively fit .... it's at least closer.