Jillian michaels protein powder?

Options
I've read many mixed reviews.. Very contradictive even lol. I'm hoping some of you guys have tried it and can let me know if it's worth getting. I have no idea about protein powders other than I know I need more protein in my recently fairly active lifestyle.

Replies

• LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Low quality, overpriced, low protein/serving.

There are MANY better options out there. Optimum Nutrition is my preference, but there are several other good ones.
  • jenslife82
    jenslife82 Posts: 229
    Options
    Low quality, overpriced, low protein/serving.

There are MANY better options out there. Optimum Nutrition is my preference, but there are several other good ones.
    Thank you. I am having a really hard time sorting thru reviews for protein powders. Not many are rated very high overall.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels' Protein Powder is made by a brand called Pure Protein. They basically took their protein powder and hiked up the price to put Jillian's name on it. There is much better out there.

No offense to you or to anyone else out there who is a Jillian fan but you guys are really being victimized by the industry. A bunch of companies are paying her a bunch of money to put her name on their products, most of which are mediocre at best and useless at worst, just so all you people whose only exposure to anything fitness related came from workouts sold to you by her.

You used her videos such as 30 Day Shred and No More Trouble Zones as an introduction into a healthier lifestyle and that's great. But that's really all her programs should be used for: An INTRODUCTION into a whole new lifestyle. And once you move past the introductory phase you really should start moving on to more advanced programs or, better yet, learning more about fitness and putting your own programs together. You owe it to yourself to ensure you are always making progress, and that means learning about the industry and fitness world as a whole. Not limiting yourself to her entry level workout programs and overpriced supplements with her name on them. Try looking into protein powder brands such as Myofusion, Syntha 6, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, Dymatize Elite. These are the things actual athletes and fitness professionals use and have for years, and it is far superior to anything with her name on it.

I STRONGLY urge you and everyone else to start moving away from anything--supplement, equipment, OR workout program, that has her name on them, once you are now comfortable saying you have moved past the introductory/beginner phase. The only reason for the success of her programs is the intense marketing behind them.

Myofusion Probiotic series and Muscle Gauge are my preferences. On bodybuilding.com and supplementreviews.com you will see they are both rated highly by users.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    There are tons of proteins out there.

Some taste better than others and mix better than others.

I am currently drinking elite xt time release. It mixes ok in a shaker but not the best. However, the price is great and will probably get it again cause it taste good.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    There are tons of proteins out there.

Some taste better than others and mix better than others.

I am currently drinking elite xt time release. It mixes ok in a shaker but not the best. However, the price is great and will probably get it again cause it taste good.

I haven't tried Elite XT but I have tried some of Dymatize's other proteins. Ive tried their ISO-100 and Elite Gourmet proteins and both were great. Chocolate Peanut Butter Elite Gourmet ranks among one of my favorites.
  • 2012NSR
    2012NSR Posts: 51
    Options
    I STRONGLY urge you and everyone else to start moving away from anything--supplement, equipment, OR workout program, that has her name on them, once you are now comfortable saying you have moved past the introductory/beginner phase. The only reason for the success of her programs is the intense marketing behind them.

[/quote]

Urm I can't agree with this. The work out programs DO work ....
  • valorieflowers
    Options
    I tried hers because it was one of the only ones that was all whey and only sweetened with stevia. The vanilla one has a bit of a cheesy flavor, not a fan. Instead I then tried Designer Whey brand. It is also all whey and stevia sweetened and tastes much better.
  • CougarGrace
    Options
    I got some at HEB and it tastes DISGUSTING with water but DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with unsweetened almond milk.

I LOVE the taste, but it probably is overpriced.
  • whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I also like Optimum Nutrition and usually find it cheapest on Amazon. Mix with milk or some kind of non-dairy milk (almond, soy, whatever you like).
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Of course they "work." It's still exercise. All exercise "works" when combined with good nutrition. But there are more efficient ways that lead to faster results. And if everyone out there stopped being a mindless slave to the marketing giant backing her and actually bothered to learn a little bit about the SCIENCE that goes into exercise and nutrition, you'll see that even someone with only a basic rudimentary understanding of it all can do better. There are better ways of going about your lifestyle change than following along with a video and calling it a day. The ones who do that are the ones least likely to stick with it. Learn! This is a science. Treat it like one.

Also, to everyone looking to monitor carb intake/reduce sugar: If your workout is intense enough to merit a post workout nutrition shake, then you need to understand carbs are even MORE important than protein. The kind of fast absorbing carbohydrates that come from real, natural sugar (fructose or dextrose) are IDEAL for this. Fruits and fruit juices are also good. A low carb protein shake for post workout is pretty pointless...
  • jenslife82
    jenslife82 Posts: 229
    Options

Of course they "work." It's still exercise. All exercise "works" when combined with good nutrition. But there are more efficient ways that lead to faster results. And if everyone out there stopped being a mindless slave to the marketing giant backing her and actually bothered to learn a little bit about the SCIENCE that goes into exercise and nutrition, you'll see that even someone with only a basic rudimentary understanding of it all can do better. There are better ways of going about your lifestyle change than following along with a video and calling it a day. The ones who do that are the ones least likely to stick with it. Learn! This is a science. Treat it like one.

Also, to everyone looking to monitor carb intake/reduce sugar: If your workout is intense enough to merit a post workout nutrition shake, then you need to understand carbs are even MORE important than protein. The kind of fast absorbing carbohydrates that come from real, natural sugar (fructose or dextrose) are IDEAL for this. Fruits and fruit juices are also good. A low carb protein shake for post workout is pretty pointless...
    You've obviously done some research and know your stuff but your'e coming across in a very negative way. I actually did start out with Jillian michaels 30 day shred and got some decent results with it. And like you said, moved on and now I run 3-5x a week. I have to say that whether it's her or someone planning workouts for her, the strength cardio mix burns tons of calories according to my hrm and I did get immediate noticeable results. (power walking was what I did for exercise before that). So thank you for your input, I definitely appreciate the info in your post.
  • brittvee
    brittvee Posts: 123
    Options
    not sure about the powder, but i did start taking the fat burning pills yesterday she has out :)
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    It tastes good but there are many better options out there. I started with her whey powder, which has 15 g protein for 100 calories, but switched to Jay Robb's, which has 25 g protein for 110 calories, and no sugar. Bums me out that I've only been able to find it at Whole Foods though...
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

You've obviously done some research and know your stuff but your'e coming across in a very negative way. I actually did start out with Jillian michaels 30 day shred and got some decent results with it. And like you said, moved on and now I run 3-5x a week. I have to say that whether it's her or someone planning workouts for her, the strength cardio mix burns tons of calories according to my hrm and I did get immediate noticeable results. (power walking was what I did for exercise before that). So thank you for your input, I definitely appreciate the info in your post.

Of course you saw results. You went from doing nothing to doing something that forced you to break a sweat.

If someone taped a crack-addled Rhesus monkey and had you mimic its movements, you would've had similar results.

(Understand that this is in no way meant to be an attack on you, or anyone who has fallen prey to Jillian's BS.) It's only natural to attribute expertise to someone who is presented as an "expert". But this woman has no formal training in exercise physiology or nutrition(beyond a rubber-stamp certificate). She isn't a trainer, she just plays one on TV.
  • ShellyShuey
    ShellyShuey Posts: 162
    Options
    I like her 100% Whey Chocolate. Use 1/2 scoop in my morning java. I've used Pure Protein, liked it.
  • highlander_chic
    Options
    Contrary to your (un)popular belief, people DO "stick with it" when it comes to Jillian's work out and plans. I've stuck with her for more than four months. I don't have much weight to lose, just wanted to be in good shape. And it's working. To those that pay attention and listen, she is very motivational. It's not just about the exercise with her programs, it's about the inside and outside changes that break bad habits including diets and exercise and the person you are. And who cares if it's Jillian, Billy Blanks, PX90 or insanity...whatever motivates someone is not important, it's important to be moving. She doesn't call herself just a trainer. She's also a "life coach" (though I hate that term...sounds too yuppy). She builds confidence and self esteem along with the workout you get. And bottom line whether it's this work out or any other one, each person finds what works for them. Just because you're not drinking the Jillian kool-aid doesn't mean she sucks. I just think you're being a bit negative in a place where people should be building each other up, not tearing each other down.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

(Understand that this is in no way meant to be an attack on you, or anyone who has fallen prey to Jillian's BS.) It's only natural to attribute expertise to someone who is presented as an "expert". But this woman has no formal training in exercise physiology or nutrition(beyond a rubber-stamp certificate). She isn't a trainer, she just plays one on TV.

I believe this is true. I've seen her not even be able to tell you which org. gave her an honorary certification, and that's the only one she has.

I feel like if she was really interested in improving health and health education she wouldn't put her name on products that are blatant snake oil scams like fat burner pills. She's profiting from preying on people's fears, people who trust her.
  • dizinns
    dizinns Posts: 5
    Options
    I have tried many protein powders and was having a hard time getting them down. The only one I liked was Jillian Michaels. and no I'm not a fan just the best tasting one for me.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    The Jillian Michaels Protein Powder is actually rebadged Pure Protein brand powder. JM doesn't produce her own supplements and everything available with the JM name on it has been available in the market for years under the brand name of the company that actually produces them.

It's decent for what it is, but much better stuff is available from specialty supplement stores like GNC and bodybuilding.com.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Optimum Nutrition and/or Isopure for protein powder.