bedtime cocoa alternatives?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
Give me an idea of how to make an alternative to hot chocolate before bed. I have tried pure cocoa powder and it seems to keep me awake, oddly. Carob seems to give me some sort of a hot flush reaction and all normal and diet hot chocolates seem to be full of sugar and sweeteners. I am trying to break free of my sugar addiction so i fear my beloved hot choc must go too.

Replies

• aircantu1
    aircantu1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hot tea. There are many different flavors.
  • bazaar1982
    bazaar1982 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    hot milk with a spoonful of honey in it - helps with sugary cravings the next day too. x
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a cup of cocoa. I drink the Nestle sugar free hot cocoa. :)
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It's too bad that pure cocoa makes you tired that's what I was going to suggest!

There are some dessert flavored teas out there like Christmas Cookie, Gingerbread Man, Chocolate, and Caramel Truffle.

I don't like dessert teas much but maybe check around Google or Amazon for more tempting flavors?
  • bazaar1982
    bazaar1982 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a cup of cocoa. I drink the Nestle sugar free hot cocoa. :)

blurrrgh isn't that just like really thin, watery cocoa? (or at least thats what i think i'll be getting when i look at it!)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Melt 90% cocoa dark chocolate in milk on the stove. Then you're getting protein and calcium too.
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    you might just have to go cold turkey until you stop craving it. that's what i had to do with sugar in my coffee in the morning. it was really hard giving it up at first, but now i'm totally fine with black coffee.
  • tseecka
    tseecka Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're in the States or Canada, but there is a tea company based out of Canada called DavidsTea. They make some absolutely scrumptious chocolate teas, and I do believe they ship to the US.

I would highly recommend the Chocolate Cake, Read my Lips, and Chili Chocolate Chai flavours. If you want to avoid caffeine, they also have a Mint Chocolate Rooiboos that is caffeine-free (the other three are all black teas and so have slightly higher caffeine content).
  • betsyog
    betsyog Posts: 2
    Options
    What about heating up a chocolate almond, coconut, or soy milk?
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    If it's got chocolate in it, it's going to have stimulants...caffeine, theobromine, theophylline, etc.
    If you want to sleep and relax better, try using powdered magnesium citrate (1tsp worth) - add to tea or just plain hot water, etc. There is a supplement version called Nature's Calm - I believe it's stevia sweetened
  • rainforestboots
    rainforestboots Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The best bedtime drink I've come up with so far is this: Rooibos Tea + Soymilk + Cinnamon. Rooibos tea is caffeine free and tastes kind of like regular black tea, the cinnamon makes it smell sweet and snuggly. Low Cal, Sugar and Caffeine free WIN!
  • mymission92
    Options
    Try hot milk with cinnamon. SO nice!
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Why not just warm chocolate milk? it's like a warm glass of milk before bed ... but with chocolate.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Swiss Miss makes a low cal hot chocolate. Try that
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    If it's got chocolate in it, it's going to have stimulants...caffeine, theobromine, theophylline, etc.
    If you want to sleep and relax better, try using powdered magnesium citrate (1tsp worth) - add to tea or just plain hot water, etc. There is a supplement version called Nature's Calm - I believe it's stevia sweetened

sorry, i was totally distracted by your profile pic. ehehm.... OK I'm good now.
  • hotjava9
    hotjava9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Time release whey protein chocolate with some nesquick (no sugar added for flavor) half skim milk half water.