Tell me 1lb up is no big deal

Options

Replies

• calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If your clothes are looser then its not big deal. I fluctuate about 2-3 lbs a day or more. Keep up the effort, you are doing great!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Relax... this isn't a linear process. There are TONS of things that can make your weight fluctuate several lbs within a single day. If your clothes are looser, you're making losses!
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yup, not a big deal. PLUS... I had a friend on here say that travelling adds stress which can make your body retain more water weight too. I know its a mental thing when you see that pound increase I deal with that too, its amazing how a pound can cause such feelings.. BUT you are doing great especially if you are feeling it in your clothes... Just take a deep breath and exhale today is a great day!!
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I just drank a litre of water and I'm up 2.2lbs , don't worry.
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    1 lb is not a big deal.

Looking through your diary at what you've eaten the past couple of days and I'd say Sodium may be the culprit. Add it as one of your trackers and see if you are close to or over the 2500 MFP recommendation.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm one pound up today as well. It's no big deal and likely just water weight or hormone fluctuations or any number of other things going on in our bodies. If there's one thing I've learned after 11 months of dieting it's that bodies are just weird sometimes.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    2 words for you: WATER WEIGHT
    That 1lb is not big deal at all, I retain as much as 11lbs of water, that means one day I will be 187 and than if I had a lot of sodium two days I can weight 197. I know it's not real weight gain, just water, and 1lbs quite frankly is nothing to be concerned over. Most people on here go through same thing and its just water retention.
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've exercised every day but two.

If you're exercising, you are most likely gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. Keep eating right, exercising and you'll get to goal! Also, only weigh yourself every few days, not every day. And when you do, weigh at the same time (like just before getting in the shower or first thing in the morning.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate up to 5 lbs sometimes, no biggie
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water today, and weigh again tomorrow. It might just be a flux. I only weigh once a week too, because I don't want to become obcessed with numbers, but I Knew last week I had lost more than 1 pound so I waited two days and weighed again, sure enough I had lost 2. All sorts of things influence the scales. Salt intake, water weight, time of day, time of month.

1 pound is no big deal. Maybe next week you will drop it and it's friend.
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    A one pound gain is NO big deal. Except that it can be because we all want to see that number go down. And when it doesn't, its as if the scale is taunting us with that number. Always trying to discourage our efforts and derail all our good intentions. Because no matter how hard we try, sometimes that number goes the wrong direction.

We can't let the scale win the war against us. Let your measuring tape, the fit of your clothes, the way you look, and the way you feel be your guide.

Good luck and keep it up!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I lost 8 lbs in 8 days.....fought 2lbs for a couple of days, then I was up 3 lbs when I came home from vaca, most of which is water weight and I know it..it sucks for it to show up on the scales but it's no biggie. I'll take a water pill today to get the excess water swelling down. I have a week where nothing changes then the next week it's a big loss. As long as your losing inches it's not a big deal your body is just catching up with the loss.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    1lb up is no big deal.

I'm 1.5lb up this morning (from yesterday morning). Pfttt. Whatever. I can lose more than that going to the loo :smile:

Over the last 10 years that I've gained this weight I'm sure that my weight went down a fair bit as well as of course going up. I'm expecting the weight loss journey to be exactly the same.
  • wender125
    wender125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's no big deal.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Keep a spreadsheet of your weight each Monday morning over a few months. You will see it bump up and down, up and down. Any decent spreadsheet will allow you to create a "trend line" from the raw data. Create one and as long as you are on plan it should show a downward trend.

Do wish that MFP had such a simple feature in its toolkit, though. Another ding on the MFP developers / management, sad to say.
  • webdevsoup
    webdevsoup Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Not only could it be water weight, but you have to remember that Muscle weighs more than Fat. So, if you've been exercising, than most likely this could be the cause. If not, those snacks could have contained a good deal of sodium, which caused you to retain the water weight. Like everyone here says, 1 lb is not that big of a deal. Sometimes you need to ignore the scale, and admire the reflection in the mirror. If your clothes fit better, and you feel better, than the 1 lb can't get you down! :)
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm 1lb up from last week too. The weight gain itself doesn't bother me... the fact that this particular pound puts me back into the Obese BMI kind of narks me a bit though lol :laugh:

The way I see it is that you have to accept that it will go up, and it will go down. Even when you are at maintenance, you will never be bang on the same weight each week.

So think about it like this: If you look better than when you started, if you feel better than when you started, if you are still closer to your goal than when you started, you are still winning. :smile:
  • webdevsoup
    webdevsoup Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Do wish that MFP had such a simple feature in its toolkit, though. Another ding on the MFP developers / management, sad to say.

Recreating commonly used, proprietary software (such as excel) on the internet is not as easy as it sounds. Don't ding them for something that isn't easy to create. It takes time to create such "tools".
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Definatel no big deal. If I wanted to bet I would blame the Ihop pancakes, and the fish tacos. Probably tons of sodium.

Sodium really contributes to water weight - so does not drinking enough water, btw. Go by how you feel, not the scale - especially for just 1 pound. The human body is pretty complicated, and I think almost everyone bounces around a little bit. There's just no way to control every variable at 100% to understand why.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I was thrown last week when I gained a pound on my Friday weekly weigh-in when I was confidently expecting a 2lb loss due to lots of exercise and not eating back all of my exercise cals but brushed it off as just one of those things.

Weighed again today (just 3 days later) to find that I've gained 2 more, so in my mind the 3 I've gained plus the 2 I should have lost last week put me 5 above where I should be by now :-( I've kept up my exercise and stick within my calorie goals and my MFP phone app tells me I had a nett calorie deficit of 1252 for last week (on top of the 1000 deficit per day I'm set at) so I have not been overeating and I use FitBit's more conservative estimates for my burns.

I'm almost scared to weigh Friday now!