Struggles

Options
I work out 5-6 days a week (cadio and strength training), once a week with a personal trainer, eat (roughly) 1450 calories a day. Rarely do I go over, if/when I do, it's a pocket change amount.

I've been doing this since January and have only lost 10 pounds. I'm at a loss. It's incredibly frustrating and almost demotivating.

I ate amzingly well this past week (really watched protein and veggie intake) - and started my Saturday weighing in at a record low (for me) at 175lbs - busted my *kitten* at the gym both Saturday and Sunday and weighed in this morning at 178.

I just don't know what to change.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of questions. What is your sodium intake like? How many calories per day are you eating? Are you eating back exercise calories? Have you eaten a maintenance for a week or 2 for a hormonal reset at all during this time? After about every 12 weeks or so of a restricted diet you get some hormonal adaptation so it's a good idea to go to maintenance for a week or so to normalize all that. I would almost be certain the uptick on the scale is water weight. Possible sodium related. Possibly TOM. Also, have you checked measurements? With the strength training, you may be losing fat but getting better bone density and muscle density that would offset the fat loss some and frustrate you on the scale.

It wold be helpful if you made your diary public in order to take a look and see if there is anything that jump out there.

ETA: Sorry I missed the 1450 calories. Is that your trainer's recomedation? That seems awfully light. What is you weight loss goal per week?
  • The_Carrie
    The_Carrie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of questions. What is your sodium intake like? How many calories per day are you eating? Are you eating back exercise calories? Have you eaten a maintenance for a week or 2 for a hormonal reset at all during this time? After about every 12 weeks or so of a restricted diet you get some hormonal adaptation so it's a good idea to go to maintenance for a week or so to normalize all that. I would almost be certain the uptick on the scale is water weight. Possible sodium related. Possibly TOM. Also, have you checked measurements? With the strength training, you may be losing fat but getting better bone density and muscle density that would offset the fat loss some and frustrate you on the scale.

It wold be helpful if you made your diary public in order to take a look and see if there is anything that jump out there.

ETA: Sorry I missed the 1450 calories. Is that your trainer's recomedation? That seems awfully light. What is you weight loss goal per week?

I'm sure sodium has a lot to do with with it, I know it's something I need to watch over. I've always been had a sweet tooth until recently and have adapted to salty things as of late.

I don't always eat my calories back when I workout. It's probably 50/50 of when I do eat them and when I don't. Sometimes I'm just not hungry for them.

Myfitnesspal has me slotted to eat 1350 calories per day to lose 1 pound a week. My trainer thought that was too low so he suggested I bumped it up to 1450, ideally 1500.

I'm not entirely sure what maintenance eating is. Elaborate if you can.

Thanks for any help/suggestions. I'll try anything at this point.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Are you not getting toned at all?

Measure progress by BODY FAT% not scale weight.
  • SummerCedar
    SummerCedar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat, so I am interested in what others are suggesting. 1500 cals gross/net about 1250. Busting my butt...literally crying at the end of my weight sessions. No change in weight/measurements for the last 3 WEEKS. Changing up my cardio and weights to avoid a plateau, but still seem to be parked right on it. And no, this is not my last 10 pounds....more like 20!
  • laurie0507
    laurie0507 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When I was working out 5-6 days a week (heavy cardio: Zumba) I had to eat upwards of 1600-1700 calories a day to lose weight.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    Pay attention to your sodium intake and drink water like a fish. Sodium should not be over 1500 a day. In addition, your potassium intake should be roughly twice whatever your sodium is. This WILL help with water retention, which sounds to be at least part of your problem. Got to flush the system. Potassium and sodium work together like a pump on a cellular level to keep toxins flushed out of the cells and if your ratio is off, it is very unhealthy and bad for your blood pressure as well as your water retention problem.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    probably need to increase calorie intake. what sort of deficit are you running?
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Make room in the boat, ladies, 'cause I'm right there with you. 60+ days on MFP, following the "eat more to lose weight" plan, only have 4 days left of the 30DS, and I'm down 6 measly pounds in that entire time (173 at 5'5", so you KNOW there's weight to be dropped.) Pants size hasn't changed, etc.

I'm all ears for more suggestions of things to try. Once the 30DS is done, I'm plowing ahead into the New Rules of Lifting for Women plan...SURELY that will do something, yes?
  • jstcallmecoco
    Options
    have you ever read "4 hour body?" I am not a marketer, btw. this book schools you on all the things you think you should be doing to lose weight. its pretty awesome and it actually encourages you to eat more protein especially for breakfast and lunch.

also, what kind of exercise do you do?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

^ agree with needing to increase. 1450 sounds like a good number if you don't workout at all, since you workout quite a bit your body needs more fuel. I would suggesting eating 1450 Net, or up you cals to 1600 and try that for a few weeks.
  • The_Carrie
    Options
    Are you not getting toned at all?

Measure progress by BODY FAT% not scale weight.

I had a training log that I kept all of my measurements in, but lost it back in December. I haven't measured since then - I'm sure my measurements are improving.
  • The_Carrie
    Options

^ agree with needing to increase. 1450 sounds like a good number if you don't workout at all, since you workout quite a bit your body needs more fuel. I would suggesting eating 1450 Net, or up you cals to 1600 and try that for a few weeks.

I think I will try this. I get told that I'm an "undereater" - but then I get told to not eat if you're not hungry. Eating 1600 calories seems like a lot for me - but I'm absolutely willing to give this a shot.

That and cutting out a chunk of sodium. That's a beast.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Yes its frustrating - I'm working out harder than I have in 5 years - 6 days a week, my calorie deficit is 500+ a day. I don't intentionally eat the deficit. I lost more weight last week 3 pounds and that matched my prediction, but then 3 days later I was up 4 pounds and its taken 5 days to get back down, by cutting my food intake below recomended. I mostly do walking, with some kettlebell and other strength training, I have to avoid hi impact ankle work. The only good thing is that there has been a measurable increase in my walking stamina and speed.

It could be that I miscalculate food in, but I would have to be off by at least 500per day and I mostly eat food that I can get precise values from.

My calorie burn calculation is done by FitBit, and it matches what my HRM/GPS says for dedicated walks.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal has me slotted to eat 1350 calories per day to lose 1 pound a week. My trainer thought that was too low so he suggested I bumped it up to 1450, ideally 1500.

Be aware that your trainer may be calculating your exercise into your calorie allowance, whereas MFP doesn't. So EITHER aim for your trainer's target and don't eat back exercise calories OR go with MFP's and eat them all (or a proportion to allow for calculation errors) of them back.

Simply put in MFP terms, maintenance would be set your MFP settings to "Maintain my current weight". I recently did this for two weeks to get over a plateau, but it might be too early in your weight loss to try this yet.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I'm sure sodium has a lot to do with with it, I know it's something I need to watch over. I've always been had a sweet tooth until recently and have adapted to salty things as of late.

I don't always eat my calories back when I workout. It's probably 50/50 of when I do eat them and when I don't. Sometimes I'm just not hungry for them.

Thanks for any help/suggestions. I'll try anything at this point.

Maintenance eating means eating at your TDEE or the amount of calories you would eat to maintain your weight. Other than that, you've gotten some good suggestions. I think you are moving in the right direction with knocking down sodium and upping calories.
  • The_Carrie
    Options
    I love the community of MFP. Thanks everyone!
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am in EXACTLY the same boat but I have lost an overall total of 6 inches. (9 off in the right places and gained 3 in the right places.)

My suggestion is doing measurements instead...and switching to high protein, low sugar and sodium.

and of course, water water water!

Do you get enough sleep at night too? Getting the proper amount of rest is a key ingredient. I have narcolepsy so it is a little harder for me to lose due to sleep pattern issues.
  • The_Carrie
    Options
    I am in EXACTLY the same boat but I have lost an overall total of 6 inches. (9 off in the right places and gained 3 in the right places.)

My suggestion is doing measurements instead...and switching to high protein, low sugar and sodium.

and of course, water water water!

Do you get enough sleep at night too? Getting the proper amount of rest is a key ingredient. I have narcolepsy so it is a little harder for me to lose due to sleep pattern issues.

Sleep and water aren't usually a struggle for me. Well....water is more difficult on the weekends for some reason. I'm always refilling my water bottle at work - more difficult when I'm on the go during the weekend.

But I have no life, so I'm in bed by 9 most nights :ohwell:
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    1450 calories seems low for the amount of activity you have going on.....