Arthroscopic knee surgery (scope)... yes or no?

Options
Hi everyone
I am having a bit of an internal struggle with deciding whether or not I should have a scope done on my knee.
As background, in March of last year I injured my knee training in muay thai. I didn't get it checked out until a month later, MRI results showed I had 2 cysts on my meniscus and my cartilage on my posterior femural condyle was all but gone... essentially I have osteoarthritis.
I had an injection of hyaluronic acid, I didn't find it made much of a difference.
I am seeing a physiotherapist who specializes in myofascial release and acupunture, I definitely see a difference after a treatment session, but the results are not lasting.
A while back my surgeon had told me my next option would be a scope.
I am very hesitant to have surgery done, particularly if it is not NECESSARY. I have heard many stories of people being worse off after the surgery.
Presently I still run and train, but while wearing a knee brace, and I am ALWAYS in pain. It does not go away.
SO, I am struggling with what the right choice is, and am hoping to have some feedback from people who have had the surgery, who have osteoarthritis, or who have had similar experiences.

Thank you!

Replies

• fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    First, let me say I am sorry to hear you are in pain. It's definitely no fun at all, especially if you are active!

I had arthroscopic knee surgery three weeks ago to remove a torn meniscus and "clean up" my knee due to osteoarthritis. I had the same surgery on the other knee two years ago. The surgery is relatively easy to recover from. For me, the day after the surgery was the most painful-I used crutches that day. After that, I was walking around with no issues. I did take pain meds for the first two days and then twice at night but after that I didn't feel I needed them. One week after surgery, my doctor took my stitches out and gave me permission to ride my spin bike for 5-10 min. with no tension. It was a huge help with keeping my knee flexible. When I went to physical therapy last week, the therapist said it made a huge difference in my mobility with it.

If I had to do over again, I would not hestite to have the surgery. My knee does not hurt at all now and is pretty much back to where it was before surgery (when it was healthy!). We're going on an Alaskan cruise in a few weeks and I've signed up to do an hour and a half bike ride on one of the excursions there.

With you being so active, I think surgery will be a breeze for you! Best of luck!
  • FightGirl83
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback!
    I'm really flip flopping for now but will go with whatever my gut tells me in the end.
    I am getting the sense that your activity level and commitment to rehabilitation after the surgery have a big impact on your outcome.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I have a torn meniscus in my right knee. I've had the injury for several years but never went in and had it looked it. My case is different however. I can run all day as long as I don't try sprinting and I can do most leg exercises without pain. As long as I use good form and watch the speed of my knee extension it's fine for me. No pain during or after exercise.

I think in your case I would probably get the surgery. I'm still tempted to have mine looked at some point even with it being a non-issue most of the time.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I waited a long time before i had surgery on the other knee. Eventually, it got to the point that I could step down off a curb or move my knee sideways and then hurt it. I wouldn't be able to walk for a couple days afterward. Even though that knee was in pretty bad shape, I was still able to go to Disney World for a week and walk around five weeks after surgery.
    With the other knee, I tried not to wait as long to have surgery. I teach preschool and decided to have surgery the week after school was out so I would be ready to sit on the floor with the kids in August!
    You're right-being active seemed to help with the recovery. I took it easy the first week or two, icing my knee and propping it up. However, I also got up and walked around a little every hour or so, just to keep the blood flowing to it. Riding the bike actually feels good too!

It does sound like you might be at the point of needing surgery. Talk to your doctor and see what he thinks. Please don't be scared of having it repaired-it really is a pretty easy surgery to recover from. And I bet you won't believe how much better you will feel after it's done! Good luck to you!