So scared fell off the wagon after 6 months

Options
Can I get back on. I started the day with my regular oatmeal and for lunch soup. But I'm scared I won't be able to get back on and stay on track. I know in my mind everything I need to do but I have this fear of failing and it's so powerful. I feel like I'm on the verge of quitting like so many times before. I was going to record this in my personal journal but felt like I needed to go more public. This all started after a good week with 1.5lbs lost. I noticed last week I started eating out more then I started indulging and it went down hill from there. I will be doing my weight in on Wed. and hope I haven't done to much damage. I can honestly say the soup isn't very satisfying. I stayed off the computer didn't record anything the whole weekend. I will try to do my best over the next couple of days and hope to overcome this and not fail

Replies

• Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Ditch the fear. There is nothing to be afraid of. You can do this, you've done it in the past.

Maybe you just needed a vacation from this. If so it's not the end of the world. Have a cheat day once in a while if you are feeling deprived. Give yourself a break.

The biggest thing is to know that you and your health are worth the effort. You are worth it. Love yourself, love life, and allow yourself to love the idea that you're doing this for yourself - and again - you are worth it.

It's all good! And we're here for you, too!
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you're so worried about the numbers, put that on the back burner... think about control. Think about HOW GOOD it feels when you meet your goals. Think of HOW GOOD saying no to extra helpings feels later. Its easy to fall off path, but sometimes you just need to remind yourself that it feels GOOD to be healthy and happy.

So, forget how much you're losing for a min, and get back to what are you doing (exercise) and what you're intaking... and WHY!

Good luck, get back up and jump back in!
  • rudy7020
    rudy7020 Posts: 62
    Options
    It's normal to relapse, it's part of the recovery. Remind yourself of all the benefits from not over-eating and how far you've come. You should be so proud of yourself and being afraid is a good thing! It means you recognize what you've accomplished and you don't want to lose it.

Read about people who have sustained thier weight loss. There are always good tips to be found on how to conquer over-eating and deal with cravings.

Stay strong! You deserve to be healthy.
  • ewhitehurst1
    ewhitehurst1 Posts: 178
    Options
    It's taken me exactaly 1 year to lose just 23 pounds. I wasn't completely ready to put 100% into losing weight, but I did what I was ready for. I fell on & off the wagon 100 times but I always knew what I wanted in the end so I would try again. I have finally joined a gym and signed up with a personal trainer this past week and I am commited to losing my last 40 pounds. Once you are ready you will know it! Until then stick with small changes. Every little bit helps. I didn't work very hard for those 23 pounds lost and yes it took an entire year but I am 23 pounds ahead this year just by taking little steps! You can do it!
  • StacyPervis
    Options
    Quitting is absolute, it doesnt sound like your quitting to me. Sounds like you had a setback. When you learned to walk, you fell down, but got back up. Same applies. Most people, myself included cannot go thru a life changing process without some setback. The end result is what you are looking to achieve, not the things that happen along the way. Most successful people in this world have failed at things. Its more about your ability to overcome the setbacks and keep pressing forward. Set a new short term goal and get back in the saddle.
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yes you can get back. Jump in, the water's fine. This is my second week of consistency after "falling off" for about 18 months. I now have 50 lbs. to lose. I'm so glad to be back though. Don't punish yourself or beat yourself up. If all I had to eat for lunch was soup i'd feel deprived as well. Once I started adding in lean proteins, good carbs and healthy fats I stopped feeling so hungry. I also throw in a snack now and then throughout the week, log it and move on. I get active for at least 45 minutes a day and i've been taking a full off day on Saturday. My calories average between 1600-1800 a day and i've lost 3 lbs. since i've started. But like I said it's only my 2nd week. I'm "feeling it" this time if that makes any sense and i'm hoping I can stick with it. I believe I can, because the nutrition and exercise guideline i've set up for myself is not overwhelming. It's reasonable and makes sense to me.
  • DANCHAN1
    DANCHAN1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I remember years ago at a WW meeting the instructor said "it is not the 3 cookies you ate that are going to hurt you it is the bag you will eat because you ate the 3 cookies"

Same applies here. You will do no more damage as of today. Whatever you gained and I bet you, there will be a pleasant surprise for you on Wednesday you will not do any more because you are doing what you need to do.

I always told my kids it is not how often you fall that defines you but how often you get back up and keep moving forward.

You CAN do this.
  • ziggy5621
    ziggy5621 Posts: 44
    Options
    A lifestyle change doesn't happen over night......and try not to be so hard on yourself :-) .....we all stumble .....and when you do just pick yourself up...dust yourself off.....and start again! You will never fail if you just keep trying! Smile, because you are at least making more of an effort them some people, at least you have taken the first steps to change! Good luck...YOU CAN DO IT!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I remember years ago at a WW meeting the instructor said "it is not the 3 cookies you ate that are going to hurt you it is the bag you will eat because you ate the 3 cookies"
    This. So much this.

I also think I sometimes struggle with self sabotage, but I'm not sure what to do about that...
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Get back on! I had an AWFUL week last week after staying on track religiously for the last 6 months. One bad day spiraled into a whole week of bad choices. I ate whatever I wanted, didn't control my portions, went choco-crazy, and barely worked out but I'm shrugging it off and hopped back on today. Keep logging and keep trying! Your body will thank you for it. :-)

Best wishes to you!