Why did you become vegetarian/vegan?

Options

Replies

• kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Also, try not to eat a ton of processed "vegetarian" crap - in my opinion, if you're eating a bunch of processed junk you're better off eating organic meat!
    EXACTLY...I am not a vegetarian but I have friends who are vegetarians (some vegans as well). I have this conversation with them over and over again. What ever process is used to come up with TVP has to be worse for you then just eating grass fed beef or free range chicken...and what on earth are vegan chicken strips made from? Non-dairy cheese? You can't make any of that in your own kitchen.
    My cousin is a vegan and honestly she eats more "product" than any meat eater I know.

Of course we are talking about vegetarians and vegans that believe it to be a "healthier" way to eat vice those that are doing it for moral reasons...if you are doing it because you find it morally wrong to eat an animal the, by all means, eat all of the meatless "crumbles" you want...but don't tell me it is healthier...it is just "nicer" :-)

That said, to each his own...but keep your grubbies off my ribeye :-)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I became vegan after watching Forks Over Knives and deciding to try the plant-based foods to see if it would help with my migraines. It didn't help, it cured. I have since added back fish since it's NOT a migraine trigger for me, but chicken, eggs, dairy, etc. are all totally out. For me it's not hard. Looking at it and knowing it will put me in pain for 3-5 days is plenty of incentive not to eat it. I try to stay away from processed vegan foods, but I will use them when I need them - like showing up to a cookout with my own vegan burgers, or not-chicken patties. BUT the vast majority of all the processed foods labeled "veggie" are made with milk and eggs, so I have to be really careful what I buy. The allergy warning labels have become my friends because they disguise that stuff under all sorts of crazy names. I just started in January, so I'm still feeling my way around stuff. I was dissappointed at the Pampered Chef vegetarian cookbooks, very heavy on the eggs and cheese in the recipes, and only one little section in the back of the Vegetarian Table that is truly vegan. I bought the Veganomicon - LOVE it...lots of good recipies that real people can make! As for suggestions, just do whatever works best for you, and if you aren't sure what that is just try different things until you find something you like. For me cold-turkey changes have never been difficult, I love switching my world around...not everyone likes that...for some people gradual is better. I do still serve meat to my family, but in reduced quantity, and I only buy local (I live in the country, so for me that's not a challenge). There are lots of recipes online, and I would definitely recommend trying those before investing in cookbooks (unless you are like me and just love collecting new cookbooks). Also, you can change your MFP setting to track anything you are concerned about falling short on. For instance, when I first started I tracked protein, iron, and calcium and kept a close eye on them because I was concerned about being able to get those nutrients in sufficient quantity on a plant-based diet. And I eat plenty of nutritional yeast so I get my B12. It's not hard to do once you get the hang of it, but it is something to keep in mind, particularly in the very beginning. This should be a healthy move, not one that winds up with vitamin defficiencies. Now I'm working on getting ALL the processed foods out of my diet, since I've been swinging back way too far towards pastas and such. Must get back to more whole grains.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I became a vegetarian over 30 years ago. As with many other people it was just a sudden moment of realization that the meat on my plate wasn't just "meat" it was the flesh of another living breathing animal. It was like flipping a switch to off, and I haven't touched meat since.

Of course it's still possible to eat badly without eating meat, but I do the best I can right now. I'm almost completely vegan, though I may switch back to full vegetarian at some point. I'm waiting to see what my blood work results are and to talk to my Dr. in a couple of weeks.
  • chloe_1334
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for five years. I like the fact that a vegetarian diet can be much healthier (I definitely feel it, especially being free from that horrible red meat - so bad for you!) I think that animals shouldn't be exploited in that way. I certainly wouldn't eat my friend's dog, so why would I harm an innocent little chicken or cow?! Apart from that, my focus is now more on eating vegetables as a main part of a meal, rather than meat, which is great (and less fattening!)

My tips: look up loads of vegetarian websites for recipes - there are literally thousands out there! I'm never short of anything to eat :) There are loads of vegetables, nuts, pulses, beans, grains available to provide you with all nutrients and vitamins you need. Remember, eggs are your friend! And don't be afraid to try vegetarian options such as Quorn or veggie burgers if you don't mind eating processed food. They're very tasty. Good luck! :)
  • glamazon
    glamazon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've decided to transition into eating vegan for health reasons. I notice I have much more energy and generally feel lighter. My husband is also eating this way (as is our toddler under the guidance of our pediatrician, who is all for it) so it makes things easier. Watching Forks Over Knives really inspired us to make the change. We already ate a fairly vegetarian diet to start with so the transition has been fairly easy. We cook a lot and try not to have processed fake meat items no more than twice a week. I'm finding it really fun to find new vegan recipes to try and recipe blogs to follow. Here are a few of my favorite blogs/websites:

http://ohsheglows.com/
    I just recently discovered this one. So many great recipes

http://www.vegkitchen.com/
    This has vegan and vegetarian recipes. This is Nava Atlas's site who wrote Vegan Express, which is great.

http://www.meettheshannons.net/
    This site is a lot of fun. They are cooking their way through the Betty Crocker Cookbook and veganizing all the recipes. Some really delicious stuff here.

http://healthyslowcooking.com/
    This is the site of the author of the Vegan Slow Cooker (which I really enjoy)

http://peasandthankyou.com/
    She has also written a cookbook that I use quite a bit.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KingElessar
    Options
    About 8 months ago, I had to have my gall bladder removed. Once that happened eating meat was a disaster. Those who don't have a gall bladder can probably relate. I also took it as a sign from my body that my life style needed a change. So with practically no support, I stopped eating meat.

My guy friends ridiculed me for it, picking on me and teasing, but since I stuck with it they are slowly beginning to accept it. Also I found that once meat isn't on the menu, the variety of stuff you find to eat is different. I've been a vegetarion so long now it doesn't even feel odd. Helps keep me from rebounding and gaining weight I lost.
  • weightlosshippie
    weightlosshippie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I feel better. I feel better internally, I have more energy, and I feel like I'm doing a small part to help protect my planet.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for 14 years now, and almost vegan for 2. My body does not like meat or any animal products, I had a natural dislike for meat. But, growing up was forced to eat it. I read in my baby book that every meat my mother tried to introduce to me, I had serious stomach problems and it took months for me to be able to handle it. Growing up I had very bad allergies and got bronchitis twice a year and many colds.

One day i was out to lunch with a friend who was vegatarian, and I ordered a chicken ceasar salad. Left all the chicken on the bottom of the plate, it did not eat one piece. Since I was out, and did not have my dog with me, it was obvious i did not want or like the chicken. My friend asked why did i even order the chicken, and then I realized I did not have to eat meat. My dog lost 10lbs. LOL.

My allergies are almost non-existent now and I don't feel sick after eating. Since cutting dairy out, my health keeps improving.

A second reason is, I can't stand the thought of a life being lost for every meal I eat. I love animals, and I can't stand the thought of them dieing for food.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I never really liked meat very much as a child. I love animals so much and was always bothered by the idea that I was eating "dead flesh". I grew up in a typical Midwestern household, you know, plenty of meat and potatoes, but I still never really liked meat very much--the texture and the idea of what it was always disturbed me. If I was having steak, it had to be WELL done, and if there was any red I couldn't eat it because I knew it was blood and it freaked me out.

When I was 14 I got food poisoning from a Taco Bell beef burrito, and after that I decided I was done with beef. I quickly cut out pork too, and over the next few years, stopped eating poultry and fish as well. At one point I tried to be vegan but it didn't last long - I'm from Wisconsin, cheese does a big butt good! :tongue: Currently I am a pesco-lacto-ovo-vegetarian (if you want to be really specific), meaning I do eat fish occasionally (just salmon and tuna mostly, I don't like seafood at all), I eat dairy products like cheese, yogurt and butter (I never liked milk, or, as I call it "juice squeezed from a cow"), and I eat eggs, because they're a good, cheap source of protein.
  • DsAdvocate
    DsAdvocate Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Only eating fish does not make you vegetarian. Fish = meat. If you eat fish you are not a vegetarian. Period.
  • Yvobro
    Yvobro Posts: 1
    Options
    Veg
  • anaiah
    anaiah Posts: 2
    Options
    I can't say enough how happy you will feel going vegetarian!
    It is the best decision I have ever made health and conscious wise in my life! I actually was very proud of myself. I went cold turkey into being Vegan. I felt wonderful! Since I am now Vegetarian, but I usually don't buy much dairy or eggs anyways and if I do always make it organic / eggs farm fresh. On a very rare occasion I have had some seafood but prefer not to eat anything that has a family. :)
    The documentaries really do provide you with a ton of good science based information. The people that do them are doctors and etc. There are many GREAT books out there too....just google the most popular. The China Study is great....Skinny ***** was the one I first read that made me make the switch.
    It is not hard. Just educate yourself, eat as many whole foods as possible. Start out with the meat substitutes, they are very low calorie most the time and are delicious. You will get more than enough protein. Not doing so is a myth unless you eat french fries all day. I usually go over my needed daily intake for protein easily.
    Good luck and enjoy the happy/healthy/guilt free feelings to come!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I want too..but just don't feel like I have the will power just yet. I feel bad for the animals, I really do..but meat--it tastes good..I should feel guilty...maybe someday I'll go down that route. Any inexpensive ideas is welcomed..I thought about doing like Meatless Monday's to start or something and see how good if it feel to eat cleaner for a day. =)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of meat, but I made the decision to go vegan because I love animals more.

If I had to do it all again, I'd do it the same way. I did a lot of research about the horrors of the meat, dairy and egg industries, and I decided that it wasn't something I could support in good conscience. A balanced vegan diet full of whole grains, fruits and veggies brought me physical health and mental and spiritual peace.

Some people like to slowly phase meat out of their lives, but I went "cold turkey" for two weeks and never looked back. I found it easy to live without cheese, yogurt etc. once I actually gave myself the chance to try it out. Experiment with recipes, don't expect "vegan meats" to taste "just like meat" - appreciate them for their own delicious qualities. And don't be afraid to ask for help! :)
  • anaiah
    anaiah Posts: 2
    Options
    "Oh She Glows" blog is fantastic!
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Only eating fish does not make you vegetarian. Fish = meat. If you eat fish you are not a vegetarian. Period.

Pretty sure it'd make them a pesco-veg.
  • linbeebee
    linbeebee Posts: 10
    Options
    I actually ended my 8ish-month veggie run yesterday. Like other people have mentioned, I'm getting progressively more weirded out by the highly processed meat substitutes that I've been eating instead, and now that I'm exercising again I'm a bit more concerned about my protein levels. I'm a bit of a picky eater, so I simply don't like a lot of the higher protein plant-based items like beans and whatnot. My main reason for going veg in the first place was mostly an anti-factory farming move. I'm still going to avoid most meat (beef and pork particularly), but I'm going to try for more humanely raised/slaughtered chicken for now. At the moment I'm dealing with some guilt issues, so I may end up back off the meats by the end of the year. I just wish I had more enterprising taste buds!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I actually ended my 8ish-month veggie run yesterday. Like other people have mentioned, I'm getting progressively more weirded out by the highly processed meat substitutes that I've been eating instead, and now that I'm exercising again I'm a bit more concerned about my protein levels. I'm a bit of a picky eater, so I simply don't like a lot of the higher protein plant-based items like beans and whatnot. My main reason for going veg in the first place was mostly an anti-factory farming move. I'm still going to avoid most meat (beef and pork particularly), but I'm going to try for more humanely raised/slaughtered chicken for now. At the moment I'm dealing with some guilt issues, so I may end up back off the meats by the end of the year. I just wish I had more enterprising taste buds!

Weirdly processed meat substitutes aren't the only sources of protein out there for vegetarians and vegans. Have you tried tofu, tempeh, seitan, beans or vegetarian protein powders for protein intake? I understand the concern over protein intake, but there are plenty of ways to get adequate protein without harming other creatures.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I became vegetarian when I was 15 I'm now 39 and still veg. At first I ate a little seafood (actually just shrimp for some reasons so "sea bugs"), then I went vegetarian and I've also been a vegan for a number of years. Throughout that time of almost 25 years there were a lot of reasons I had for staying veg. Really I've probably gone through all of them (compassion, personal health, and environmental being the top 3). I believe doing something you feel is right is better than nothing. As you do something you start to learn and your knowledge will lead the way to making better choices.

One of the worst things I've seen over the years is people knocking other people for their choices. I am not here to "absolve you of your omni-sins" (for some reason there are these group of omnis who need to tell vegetarians "their sins" in what seems to be an attempt at absolution so they can continue to consume flesh. I refuse to give this to anyone, it is not mine to give) but I am also not here to discourage or judge you from any progress (or not) you have made in this area. The bottom line is YOU. What do you think is right?

Critical thinking skills are so important in life. As is being 100% honest (just as you need to be in your food diary to see progress) meat is meat is meat and meat is always murder. I don't think murder is always wrong or unavoidable, but personally I like to choose a compassionate route if I am able. So while oxymoronic I believe there are "more compassionate murders". And there is also the issue of eating local for economic and environmental reasons. The best thing you can do is really think about your choices learn everything you can and the rest will naturally fall into place.

ETA: and last thing. Being vegetarian as long as I have, I've seen the very best intentioned (and vocal) veggies come and go. This is a marathon to me and the proof is in how I have sustained it. For the people who say "it's too hard" or "I was freaked by the meat substitutes" you were approaching it like a sprint. It takes a little time and effort to be vegetarian (but it is SO much easier now than when I first became veg). But really like exercise if your heart is in it there are no really good excuses (I know people who maintain being vegan with celiacs and other health troubles. The person who can't be vegetarian because of health concerns is rare, though some omnis seem to like to use this as an excuse). Give yourself some time to do research, try recipes, buy the VEGANOMICON the best vegan cookbook out there (and if you are veggie you can always add eggs + cheese to these recipes). No excuses, we vegetarians/vegans are not here to absolve you. If you don't want to be vegetarian fine but don't say you can't.