Ok which goes first. The Inches, or the weight.

Options
It's been my first month, not discouraged, but looking to find out which results will come first on the way to my goal.
So which do you loose first? Inches or weight?

Replies

• malibu5880
    malibu5880 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been losing inches. I started in April, and I'm down two pants sizes. However, my weight has stayed almost the same after the initial 14 pound loss, and has even gone up a few times likely due to muscle gain. So I'd say the inches first.
  • Akamomme
    Akamomme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Inches... I've just recently started losing weight because I've been working my muscles.

I've lost a pant size and a half. Haven't been this thin size since high school.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    For me it seems like the scale stalls...then I see my measuring tape get smaller.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    Inches for me. My scale did not move for 2 months but I was losing a 1/2 inch to an inch a week. Measure weekly and log it. It is so motivating! The scale does not tell the whole story when you are building muscle. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It varies based on the person, but generally weight loss is easier than fat loss. How much are you eating?
  • sabrinalg
    sabrinalg Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    For me it's always the inches, but everybody is different.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    For me it was inches, then pounds. But we're all different.
  • mmessinger0718
    mmessinger0718 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Always inches for me. I lost a total of 4.5 inches last week but only lost .4oz. Make sure you measure every week and keep track of it! You will feel great when you see the amount of inches you will lose!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Inches.
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Definitely the inches!! :)
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    It's going to vary by the person and by how much weight you have to lose. If you've been eating really crappy and switch to a healthy restrictive diet, you may lose several pounds of water weight and sodium bloat pretty quickly. However, other people may lose inches first because as you start to workout more, you likely put on more muscle.

Whatever method you use to track progress, only check in every 2 or three weeks. If you check in too often it's easy to get discouraged. Keep up the hard work and you will see results!
  • krissers9
    krissers9 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For me, weight went first, then as I started lifting more, the inches. I have weighed 128 pounds for about 2 months, but am a size 2/4. I don't think I was ever a size 2/4, even in high school!
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Goes back and forth for me. First, I saw less of me on the scale. Then the scale seemed to be stuck in limbo while I lost inches. Then the scale went down a little more; then I lost inches again. Its not always about what the scale says though. I have more energy, I sleep better, and clothes that I haven't worn in for a long time fit again. That holds a lot of value to me.
  • killinme
    killinme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Inches go first for me!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. For me it cycles....I usually see it on the scale first, then my clothes start to get loose, but a lot of people have the opposite. I think it depends what kind of workouts you do too....use lots of weights and you'll probably see inches drop first!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    It is usually the inches.
  • tkalsi
    tkalsi Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, the inches! Noticed a huge change in the way my clothes fit way before I ever saw a dop on the scale! :)
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Stay encouraged. I've only lost about 3 lbs from my initial weigh-in here on MFP 3 months ago. However, I'm down 2 pant sizes and can see muscle definition where I never saw it before.

Track your measurements as well as weight. Try to stay consistent with whatever you do long enough for your body to respond and show results. If that doesn't work, tweak one thing at a time and stay consistent with it.

Previously, in desperation to see the scale move, I switched from one diet plan to another quickly and didn't allow my body to adapt. Now I stick with the things that I know are healthy (eating whole foods, drinking enough water and staying physically active on a consistent basis) and have patience.
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    For me it seems like the scale stalls...then I see my measuring tape get smaller.

This is how it's worked for me as well. :smile:
  • dilliot2k
    dilliot2k Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It varies based on the person, but generally weight loss is easier than fat loss. How much are you eating?

I'm drinking only water, and i'm eating up to my calorie limit per day.