Should I be eating more?

Options
I just finished my 4th week of insanity and have lost about 15 lbs (I still have 30 to lose). It's not that I'm not happy about losing 15 lbs., but I was hoping to have lost a little more by now. I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough...

I eat AT LEAST 1300 calories/day, and I try to eat back some of the calories that I burn from working out but I always figured I'd lose weight faster if I didn't eat them ALL back. As an average I burn 350 kcals from working out, so that would give me 1650 total that MFP says to eat, but I feel like eating 1650 calories/day is a lot for trying to lose weight, but maybe I'm wrong. Would I be getting better results if I ate more? Should I aim to eat back ALL the kcals I burned from working out or is that just kcals that I CAN eat if I want?

Thanks!

Replies

• webdevsoup
    webdevsoup Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Remember that during an insane cardio workout regimen like Insanity, you're going to need to feed your body with more fuel so that it can recover and repair. Do you have the nutrition guide that comes with Insanity? If not, you should try and find it (I have a digital version I can send you). Look at that, and figure out how much you should be eating. :)
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    15 pounds in four weeks is so fast its borderline dangerous, you could probably be eating a little more and still losing 2 pounds a week, and feel a lot better / be a lot healthier. Now a little of that weight loss could be water from when you initially started your diet/exercise program, but losing 4 pounds a week is getting close to unhealthy speed of weight loss.

It takes a long time to put it on, and it takes a long time to take it off! Don't be in too much of a hurry and be sure you are feeding yourself enough so you don't lose muscle mass and screw up your metabolism
  • taylor_lynn
    Options
    15 pounds in four weeks is so fast its borderline dangerous, you could probably be eating a little more and still losing 2 pounds a week, and feel a lot better / be a lot healthier. Now a little of that weight loss could be water from when you initially started your diet/exercise program, but losing 4 pounds a week is getting close to unhealthy speed of weight loss.

It takes a long time to put it on, and it takes a long time to take it off! Don't be in too much of a hurry and be sure you are feeding yourself enough so you don't lose muscle mass and screw up your metabolism

I do, and initially Insanity said I was supposed to eat 1900 calories/day and that just seems like a ton to me... I tried that for a bit and didn't lose any weigh so I lowered it. I don't feel dizzy, sick, nauseous at all, and the book says as long as you're not feeling sick, you should be ok... Maybe I will stick with using MFP's goals, but just aim to eat back all the calories I burned.

Thanks!
  • amlucy2
    amlucy2 Posts: 9
    Options
    15 pounds in one month is not healthy... and you are expecting more?
  • taylor_lynn
    Options
    For those who haven't heard of it, Insanity is an extreme cardio program, losing 15 lbs in the first month is very common for this program. I am by no means starving myself, but probably will aim to eat a little more. =)