Acne

Options
I am 31 . . . too old for acne! The more I work out the more problems I have. I use Clean and Clear and clean my face
morning and night. I find that its getting harder to keep acne away. My face is not too bad but my chin area is frustrating me.
Someone said I should try birth control but I have no reason to go on that other than acne so no thanks there.
Anyone use anything that doesn't cost a fortune? I am looking for anything to help!

Replies

• edd43
    edd43 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just started using the Clearasil Ultra 4 Hour Rapid Action Treatment Cream. I have trouble with acne and after a few days (not the 4 hours it claims) it was cleared up. Works really well for trouble spots, but I would recommend using it only as needed. Hope this helps! :smile:
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Acne.org has an excellent regimen involving benzoyl peroxide cream. And I've been on 5 different antibiotics, 4 different birth control pills (including my current mini pill which makes it much worse), and 4 presciption meds. The only one I haven't and can't do is accutane. The "regimen" works, and is cheap and easy.
  • JediSwan
    JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I was thinking of looking into Proactive but I wasn't sure of the cost of that either.
    I am on a mission to rid myself of this problem!
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    I had really bad acne as a kid and was on accutane. Since then I really haven't had much of a problem until the past 6 months or so. My jaw line is breaking out like crazy. It's driving me nuts. I bought some stuff, but haven't started it yet. I'm thinking it is from sweating during my workouts.
  • xxzimmer
    xxzimmer Posts: 37
    Options
    You can also look at what you eat. I stopped eating fast food, went from whole milk to almond milk, and very little candy, since then my acne stopped all together. When I do slip up I am quick to break out.
  • xxzimmer
    xxzimmer Posts: 37
    Options
    I had really bad acne as a kid and was on accutane. Since then I really haven't had much of a problem until the past 6 months or so. My jaw line is breaking out like crazy. It's driving me nuts. I bought some stuff, but haven't started it yet. I'm thinking it is from sweating during my workouts.

What's why I shower asap after my workouts. I forgot to mention when I get dirty from working on my cars I breakout too.

Don't use too much stuff on your face, it makes it worse (more oily.)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I've always had bad skin, but for me ProActiv works REALLY well. It's like $30 for your first order (about a month's worth) then $40/month from there on out and they automatically send you 3 months worth of stuff at a time. So it's not cheap, but considering how much money I was spending on every random thing you can buy at CVS, it's worth it.

I have heard a lot of people say that it's too harsh for their skin though, but I have REALLY oily skin so it's perfect for me. If you tend to get dry skin, it'll probably be too harsh for you. Drink lots of water and eat really clean, non-processed foods, that helps quite a bit as well.
  • squirrleydoodle
    squirrleydoodle Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    olay total effects blemish control salicylic acid acne cleanser works really well and doesnt dry out your skin at all. i absolutely love it and ive tried just about everything!
  • NVgal
    NVgal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It could also be hormone related. I went into early menopuase when I was 30 and all heck broke out with my skin and I still deal with it and I'm 53. Not as bad but I still get break outs from time to time. I also learned the hard way that I can't use any products that have salicylic acid in them as it just makes it worse. I am using Clinique products (face wash, toner and moisturizer for acne prone/oily skin, #3) and have had the best luck the last 10 years. I will also use Neutrogena's Acne Spot Gel directly on a spot. Try to also use make-up specifically for oily skin.

On a good note, if you have oily skin you typically age better! LOL! Good luck to you!
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i bought Proactive for my son, it didn't help. Waste of money folks.

What helped him was that pill which was expensive; and they've since recalled it. Cost me 300.00 a month x 6 months to clear up his face, but he had problems with cyst also.

I suggest watch what you eat, stay away from greasy foods.

Good cleaning regime.

Clean wash cloth & antibacterial soap-lukewarm water, rinse with cold water, use an astringent & cotton pad afterwards. (per Dr )

Clean your face 2-3 times a day, especially after work outs.
  • LittleButMightyOne
    Options
    It sounds like it may be related to your working out. Do you wash your face and/or shower immediately after exercise? If not, I'd definitely recommend it to clear your pores of dirt, sweat, and oil.

Salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide are the chemical mainstays of any good allopathic (as opposed to "natural") acne regimen. I would not suggest proactive; all it is is a series of different acne products made with salicylic acid. You can create your own system at a greatly reduced price with the same active ingredient. The two mainstays of the "natural" acne regimen are witch hazel and tea tree oil. The former makes a good toner pre-moisturizer, and the latter, although it has an off-putting scent, gives a nice anti-bacterial tingle.

Three other important things to keep in mind are

1) exfoliation at least 3 times a week, using either a scrub (preferably with "round" balls that will not scratch your skin: think "Clean & Clear Blackhead Clearing Scrub" over "St. Ive's Apricot Scrub") or with a cleansing brush like the Clarisonic or Clarisonic Mia.

2) Moisturization. Benzoyl peroxide in particular is extremely drying to the skin either with overuse or when used on sensitive skin. I would suggest using it sparingly at first and not being afraid of taking a day or two off if you notice "scaly" looking patches of dry skin. And find a good moisturizer to use immediately after applying any acne serum. I like St. Ive's Daily Moisturizing lotion. You may also want to find a thicker moisturizer to use either overnight (when your skin absorbs the most moisture) or during the winter.

3) Sunscreen. Benzoyl peroxide and some other acne-fighting ingredients make your skin more sensitive to burning. If you do use a sunscreen try a non-comodogenic one that won't clog your pores and make the problem worse, like the new "Clear Face" sunscreen (I think it's by Neutrogena).

What I use:

--Clean & Clear foaming acne wash.
    --Clearasil Ultra 4 Hour Rapid Action Treatment Cream
    --St. Ive's Daily Moisturizing Lotion.
    --Toner made from a mixture of witch hazel and tea tree oil.
    --Emu oil for overnight moisture, or when feeling 'scaly."
  • 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    5000IU of viatmin D a day and a cold wash cloth over your face in the morning and before you go to bed. it has worked wonders for me without drying my face out.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Sometimes acne is caused by hormonal issues. Mine were so I found it much easier to treat once I knew.

I know a lot of people have suggested clean and clear etc. which I've tried and did not work well on my skin. I use Lush products now (Angels on Bare Skin cleanser, Breath of Fresh Air toner, Imperialis moisturizer) and sometimes Ocean Salt to exfoliate or cleanse when I have really gross/sweaty days. I have found the biggest change has happened from using those products instead of really strong cleansers. I know they work for some but they were too harsh on my skin. The stuff from Lush helped me balance my skin so it's not dry and oily and breaking out all the time.

I agree with Vit. D. And Omega oil could help too. You could even be deficient in Magnesium or Zinc.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have adult acne. Proactiv worked very well for me. thing is, you have to switch to different products sometimes because your skin builds up "immunity."

you can always take low levels of oral antibiotics prescribed by your dermatologist.

also: I have noticed that dairy aggravates my acne big time.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    My husband had the same problem for about a year. Finally, his Dr (GP) prescribed him an antibiotic and, within a month, the acne is gone.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    while very costly, proactive has worked wonders for my husband, friends and myself, it is worth the money. If you think of all the products you will use to try to get rid of it over time and the cost it adds up to....you would have had a faster and, technically, cheaper solution just going for proactive.
  • JediSwan
    JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure I am going to get proactive. Nothing else has cleared up my face so far.
    I heard something about it turning your face red after using it though. Anyone know if that is true?
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yes, it irritated my face way too much, and very red made it worse, I don't recommend it!
  • MashaSK
    MashaSK Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Use baking soda instead of scrab, wash with camomile tea+eat less sweets
  • MashaSK
    MashaSK Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Also avoid towels for face, use cotton pads instead and try to stay away from foundationa nd powder, then acne will go away faster