what food before exercise

Options
Hi is their any specific food you eat before going to the gym to maintain energy levels? sometimes i can run for 1/2 hr on the treadmill none stop then others i have to keep slowing down to walking then build up to running throughout the session??

Replies

• spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    a banana or sweet potato.
  • MeanOldDude
    MeanOldDude Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it's more about what you get used to doing. When I was new to working out, I'd have a small serving of oatmeal & peanut butter on wheat toast about an hour before the workout. Now I have just a protein shake about 30 minutes before and then an egg-white omelet after. My workouts are generally 90 minutes--time on the treadmill depends upon how quickly I get thru weightlifting.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I used to love eating a banana before a workout, it gave me such a boost in energy.... but they attracted fruit flies :(

I do recommend making sure you are hydrated beforehand. I find that if I don't drink enough water before I get pains in my side.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Fruit and water. Carbs and hydration keep you going and going.
  • sugerfree2
    sugerfree2 Posts: 69
    Options
    cheers for replies :))
  • Jambarino
    Jambarino Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been going for fruit and water as well. Gives you the boost and lets you burn off the natural sugars as the workout progresses. Bananas during for the boost as well helps
  • harristim88
    Options
    lately i have been eating a marathon snickers multi grain crunch its pretty good gives me energy and a whole box of 8 cost about 5 bucks. or a protein shake,banana some other fruit always has worked pretty good for me i guess it just depends on what workout your doing that day
  • drfalktorres
    drfalktorres Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner and I eat 1/2 cup oatmeal boiled in 1 cup water until thick, added with 1 cup sliced berries, 2 Tablespoons of nuts, and a 1/2 cup skim milk.

Enough energy to get me through a two hour run!

And then when I'm done, I immediately eat a banana for quick energy and nutrients.

I really don't like oatmeal, but it works and I've managed to get used to it!
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I eat absolutely nothing before working out. If I eat beforehand I will end up vomiting. I just make sure to drink a ton of water during and I have a healthy breakfast a while later. It usually takes me about 30-60 minutes before I can eat after working out too.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I tried to look at your diary but it's not public. What are you getting for carbs? if you are trying to run for 3 minutes, that would be between 2 and 3 or so mile depending on speed. If you are not bumping up your carbs during the 24 hours around the workout, this could cause some struggle with muscular energy and overall energy in general.

ETA: It is not critical that this is right before workout.
  • sugerfree2
    Options
    interesting replies again tks. the thing is i eat fruit every day, all the berries & green apples. I eat quite well i think but maybe not in the carb area. I try to have pasta or jacket pots before the gym but i also go after work mostly so think thats another issue i'm tired easily or maybe not. Have thought about investing in some whey protein but only if it helps loads ??
  • mmapags
    Options
    interesting replies again tks. the thing is i eat fruit every day, all the berries & green apples. I eat quite well i think but maybe not in the carb area. I try to have pasta or jacket pots before the gym but i also go after work mostly so think thats another issue i'm tired easily or maybe not. Have thought about investing in some whey protein but only if it helps loads ??

Whey won't really help loads but it will help recovery and retaining muscle. How many grams of protein are you typically getting per day?
  • sugerfree2
    Options
    tbh i'm not counting now, i'm just really watching what i eat (occasionally slipping of the scale) how much protein v's carbs would be a good amount daily would you say ? thanks
  • sugerfree2
    Options
    cerdwin i wish i could not eat pre & post exercise but when i'm finished i'm also starving, many ppl i no who work out at the gym or any exercise tell me they to are hungry alot following.....
  • Ashatack
    Ashatack Posts: 41
    Options
    Yeah fruit... thats always good i like apples and a few triskets then after i eat protine rich foods.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I eat absolutely nothing before working out. If I eat beforehand I will end up vomiting. I just make sure to drink a ton of water during and I have a healthy breakfast a while later. It usually takes me about 30-60 minutes before I can eat after working out too.

That's me. I can drink and exercise/run, but I can NOT eat and then exercise/run. I drink water, and I sometimes drink a protein shake. If I eat, I'm worthless for a good 2 hours or I'll end up having even fewer calories than planned.... :sick:
  • noncentssue
    Options
    I eat an access bar 15 minutes before working out and make sure to hydrate during. I like the taste of sustain but lots of products out there. I really cannot eat a meal and work out.. Makes me sick. I also work out almost first thing in the morning. I usually work out an hour to an hour and half. I live 20 minutes from gym. So by the time I get back home I usually make a veggie omelette or such. Some days like today..I was really hungry and had a tablespoon of peanut butter in addttion to my fresh salad and tuna.

I also take a fair amount of supplements that my MD put me on. I was diagnosed 2 years ago with hypothyrodism. Probably had it for years. I feel so much better now than 2 years ago. I have energy to spare! Hope you find what works for you!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I don't need to eat before I run. But if I'm going to the gym to take a class whether it be kickboxing or bodypump then I have to eat otherwise I lose energy in kickboxing or feel light headed when I bend over in bodypump. I eat a slice of Ezekiel bread. I had switched to bananas (which I don't like the taste of) because I thought it was healthy until I started logging it into mfp then saw that my bread has less calories and sugar.
  • tango645
    tango645 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Before a workout (30-60 minutes before) I'll eat a half peanut butter sandwich or some mixed nuts & oatmeal. Afterwards I'll usually have an apple or some yogurt.
  • mmapags
    Options
    tbh i'm not counting now, i'm just really watching what i eat (occasionally slipping of the scale) how much protein v's carbs would be a good amount daily would you say ? thanks

You are not putting lots of stress on your muscle system so I'd say about 1 gram per kilogram of lean body mass would be good for protein, about 30% of total for fats and the rest carbs. Should you kick up the length and intensity of your cardio or add in strength training, you may want to revisit that. Here is a blog post from one of our members here who is a certified trainer with a Degree in Exercise Physiology and a Minor in Nutrition. You may find this helpful.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TrainingWithTonya/view/setting-macros-270342