I want to SCREAM!

Options
2»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Start by tracking calories and exercise. Even if you do nothing but this for a few months, you will at least then have the necessary data *for you* that will be incredibly helpful in determining where to go from there.

It's only complicated if you make it complicated...and for most people, it just isn't necessary to complicate it. Start simple, because simple tends to work (at least for a while). *Then* when you reach a simple plateau, then you can complicate it a little (and with your food/exercise logs, you will be better equipped to make the more complicated changes).
  • cmp_denver
    cmp_denver Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else as overwhelmed as I am? I feel so clueless about all of this. To eat back burned cals or not? What's good to eat, what's not? Am I calculating my exercise calories properly, or am I? I think my main problem is that I'm reading TOO many posts, trying to get a grip on all of this.

I don't have a ton of weight to lose. I'm 5'10 and currently at about 168lbs, and want to get down to about 150. I'm eating better than I was, drinking more water, trying to be smart about all of this, but it's hard.. at least for me.

Wouldn't it be nice to have the weight come off as easily as it goes on?? I'm trying so hard to stay positive, but it's a challenge!

It sounds like you're going about it the right way. Don't stress, there are MANY different posts with MANY different ways to accomplish the same goal but, you have to find what works best for YOU! If you are eating better, drinking more water, and getting your heart rate up, you'll reach your goal before you know it. I still enjoy a cookie now and then (no suicidal thoughts as a result, thankfully) but I log it on MFP and increase my workout to compensate. You can do it!
  • stretch12d
    stretch12d Posts: 27
    Options
    Good luck!!

Just please don't threaten suicide if you eat a cookie.

I've actually been eating an ice cream sandwich after dinner, but my cals allow me to do so.. lol.. maybe that's the weight that's not coming off. Ha! =)
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!

Just please don't threaten suicide if you eat a cookie.

I've actually been eating an ice cream sandwich after dinner, but my cals allow me to do so.. lol.. maybe that's the weight that's not coming off. Ha! =)

Sounds delish to me!!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and scream if it makes you feel better. Seriously, just let out the frustration!

*deep breath*

It's really not that hard. So many people on here make it sound so much harder and confusing than it is. For every 5 forum responses I see at least 7 opinions and next to no facts.

You input your vitals into MFP, height, weight, etc., and it calculates your estimated BMR.
    You input your activity level for a normal, average day. Sedentary, lightly active, etc.etc.. MFP takes that and creates a factor to estimate calories burned due to daily activity. BMR x Activity Factor = TDEE Total daily energy expenditure. How many calories you burn in an average day, doing whatever you do.

You input a goal weight loss. Say it's 1 lb per week. 3500 calories for 1 lb. 3500 x 1 / 7 = 500 calories per day deficit to lose 1 lb of weight per week. If it's 2 lbs: 3500 x 2 / 7 = 1000 calories per day deficit

TDEE - deficit = Net calorie goal MFP gives you.

If you exercise, you are burning more calories that day. So for that day, TDEE increases by the amount of calories you burn exercising. Look at the equation above. TDEE increases, net calorie goal increases by the same amount, and the deficit required to lose weight is still there. It's your choice to eat back exercise calories or not, but you do not hurt your weight loss progress by eating them.