Should I Log Breastfeeding?

Options
I exclusively breastfeed my 6 month old son. Should I log breastfeeding and should I eat the exercise calories that it takes to breastfeed?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I exclusively breastfeed my 6 month old son. Should I log breastfeeding and should I eat the exercise calories that it takes to breastfeed?
    yes you should and with exercise calories eat 50-75% of them if MFP is estimating them.
  • 80lbslost
    80lbslost Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 month old that I EBF. I just eat an additional 500 calories/day but you can add it by searching for breastfeeding under food search and then choose how often you breastfeed. It will then give you that additional amount each day. I also eat back my calories but I only have 5 more pounds to lose.
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Now you really are "eating for two". You are sustaining another person from your own intake & body fat. I was SO hungry when bfing my first that I craved cakes. not individual cupcakes, a whole Sainsbury's bakery cake. Several a week. I lost 2 stone (she fed A LOT, especially after a year)

Add it in and monitor any changes?
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. I would eat at a MIN 300-500 cals extra per day and would also eat all of the calories I burn doing other activities. :)
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to another discussion on the board right now....good info on there.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/637217-breastfeeding

YES, definitely log it and definitely eat exercise calories.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Sure, why not?
  • DonnaZee75
    Options
    Wow. I never even thought of accounting for this. Good thing I'm done, barring any surprises! But I think my eggs are just about ready to go and I'm ok with that ;)