New here, looking to lose the last 30ish lbs

Options
sessalee
sessalee Posts: 19 Member
Hi all! I'm new, signed up a few days ago to check out the tracking system here. Turns out, it's far superior to what I was using!

A little about me (weight-loss related): I'm 30, started gaining weight after college and peaked at about 230lbs, which was a lot on my 5'1" frame. I've been losing weight since 2007, a few lbs here and there, sometimes gaining a bit of it back. I was married in 2007 at 195lbs and then put on 15lbs of happy newlywed weight. That was the end of that! My husband picked up running around that time, and I found Zumba.

Fast forward a few years, I started 2012 at 193lbs where I'd been stalled for about 6 months. After a few more months of annoyance about the lack of progress, I met with an RD and we constructed a lower cal diet that would help me drop the weight. It's totally working! Since mid-march, I've lost 25lbs.

As for exercise, I have to stay pretty active to get the weight to come off due to hypothyroid. Because of the lowered metabolism with the condition, having a good strong muscle base helps to counteract this. I have been training in mixed martial arts (MMA) for 18 months, plus I now 'enjoy' running, swimming, and more recently cycling. I have exercise ADD, but that's ok as long as I keep moving. I also like lifting, but rarely find the time.

My goal weight is probably 140. I'm only 5'1" but my build is pretty strong and solid, so I have a lot of muscle mass naturally and have worked hard to add more on. I'm not bulky by any means, but I also know I'll never be a toothpick. Ideally, I'd reach 132 which would put me out of the overweight BMI category, but I'll settle for 140.

On a more personal note, I love gaming, nerdy endeavors, bad tv, good tv, cooking and shopping.

So, Hi! Thanks for having me.

Replies

• BigJerm1
    BigJerm1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello there, and welcome. I'm also fairly new here, and have about 30 lbs left to lose out of my 50 lb goal. I've weighed anywhere from 161 lbs and running a marathon to 234 lbs, which is what led me to start losing and getting back in shape. We seem to share some similar interests with gaming, nerdy things, bad tv, and cooking. I've sent you a friend request, so maybe we can help to motivate each other. Best of luck!
  • sessalee
    sessalee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you too! Do you plan to run another marathon anytime soon?
  • shilo2609
    shilo2609 Posts: 2
    Options
    New as well. Started with a personal trainer last week. Have given myself to my kids for 16 years and am taking back some "me" time. Up and at the gym by 6 three times a week and want to lose 20lbs before hysterectomy in August. Feeling a bit discouraged this week but continuing the fight. Have lost weight before but not ever with this much exercise so my expectations are higher than they should be. I am hoping to see some real results by end of this week as week one only netted me a lb. :-\
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I have 30lbs to go myself.. :)