self-defence

Options
foxyforce
foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
women, (and men i guess!), what are your thoughts on self-defence?

a man was totally following me in his car last night for a few blocks, but being swift like a fox i got him turned around. i know this has happened to my friends as well. what are your thoughts? pepper spray?

Replies

• emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    (Edited because I'm a dummy, defence and defense are both considered correct; defence more typical for the British, and defense for Americans.)

I keep pepper spray in my car, and have taken some martial arts. I also have a revolver for home defense. Once of these days I'll get around to getting a concealed carry.

I think it's a great idea to be aware of your surroundings, and have at least a little bit of knowledge on how to defend yourself. One has to prepare, because it's too late to learn if you wait until you need it.

Also, keep your cell phone in your hand and call the police if anyone ever follows you again. Get the vehicle description and plate number, and a good look at the driver if you can.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I think it is always good to be prepared if something does happen. I don't walk around in a paranoid state but if something were to happen I want some resources to work with.

take some sort of class, I've done taekwondo

when I walk alone at night through a sketchy area I have my cell in my hand w/ 911 already dialed so all I have to press is send

if I'm walking alone at night or through an unpopulated area I make sure I'm aware of my surroundings (no ipod, texting, etc)
  • foxyforce
    Options
    I think it is always good to be prepared if something does happen. I don't walk around in a paranoid state but if something were to happen I want some resources to work with.

when I walk alone at night through a sketchy area I have my cell in my hand w/ 911 already dialed so all I have to press is send

if I'm walking alone at night or through an unpopulated area I make sure I'm aware of my surroundings (no ipod, texting, etc)

i have my fiance's number dialed....but i actually call him. i have this weird idea that if i am on the phone with someone people will think twice about attacking me. i always tell him where i am and where i am headed. it is usually late at night when i come back from a shift that ends at 1am, like last night.

i want to learn some taekwandoe....and run off walls like tony ja
  • foxyforce
    Options
    *self-defense (otherwise, you may be removing fences... ;-) )

i thought that was what we were talking about lol
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    My plan - spray with dog mace kick in the nuts, sometimes I wish a mother f*cker would.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    a gun. nothing speaks like a gun. LOL
  • RaeLB
    Options

i have my fiance's number dialed....but i actually call him. i have this weird idea that if i am on the phone with someone people will think twice about attacking me. i always tell him where i am and where i am headed. it is usually late at night when i come back from a shift that ends at 1am, like last night.

i want to learn some taekwandoe....and run off walls like tony ja

you actually shouldn't be on your phone...from the stuff i've read & watched attackers look for people who are not aware of their surroundings (people talking on their phones, listening to music, searching their purse for keys)
  • RaeLB
    Options
    Oh, forgot to add if someone is following you you do not walk home. You walk to a public place like a restaurant.
  • emirror
    Options
    *self-defense (otherwise, you may be removing fences... ;-) )

i thought that was what we were talking about lol

LOL, you're adorable!
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Oh, forgot to add if someone is following you you do not walk home. You walk to a public place like a restaurant.

this is smart and not my first thought unfortunately. i ran into a metro by my house after ditching him. and i know he was following me. he pulled into a gas station on the road i was walking down, and turned his car around towards the exit closest to me. i went through the gas station lot and he had made a right down the street back into the lot! at this point i was like, wtf. he exited onto the street i was now on and drove to the metro parking lot...and exited toward me. i jaywalked as soon as i saw this and ran into the metro. bought ice cream and then went home! (the mission was only for the ice cream)
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Most of the ladies I know can't find their cell phone in their purse when it is ringing and vibrating. You think you can find that little can of pepper spray when you need it? Go with a collapsible baton if you are not comfortable with a gun.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Krav Maga.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I want to take some type of class, I thought I was being followed last week in a path area, some guy walked passed me he turned around right away and was walking behind me....I was freaked so I started jogging and went up to the main street. I stopped wearing the ipod when I'm not on the busy streets in my neighbourhood.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    My plan - spray with dog mace kick in the nuts, sometimes I wish a mother f*cker would.

BAHAHA! I wish he would!
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I wear heels and I kick . . . hard.

I think all girls/women should take a self defense class at some point. It was so eye opening to me when I did it. Pepper spray and weapons give a false sense of security especially if you hesitate for even a moment to use them or can't get your hands on them fast enough.
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I go jogging with Chuck Norris :wink:
  • WhiskeyCity
    WhiskeyCity Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Self Defense is very important. IMHO, you should protect yourself with whatever means you are comfortable with, and legal in your state or country. If you are not comfortable with firearms, you should NOT use one. If you are not comfortable with a LTL (less than lethal) option (mace or stun gun) because they're not legal or you're afraid you'd stun yourself, don't use them. If you can take a martial arts or self defense class, you should. You don't have to be Bruce Lee or Kate Beckinsale to stop an attacker.

The most important, critical and the FIRST rule of self defense is being aware of your surroundings. Being able to spot a potential threat early will save your life. Sometimes, just letting a threat know you are aware of him will work. Nothing says, "Back Off!" like a little eye contact while you reach into your purse or pocket for your weapon (weather you're packin' or not, they don't know).

Traveling in a group, in a public place, well lighted will keep you safer. Also, if you feel threatened, tell someone. If it's a passing stranger or by going into a business, bad guys don't like spectators.

Lastly, don't be afraid to start running. Hey, you probably need the exercise anyway. :wink:
  • emirror
    Options
    Most of the ladies I know can't find their cell phone in their purse when it is ringing and vibrating. You think you can find that little can of pepper spray when you need it? Go with a collapsible baton if you are not comfortable with a gun.

I wouldn't recommend any weapon that could be turned onto the victim. Unless a person gets extensive training on how to use that baton, it will be easily taken away from her. We tend to have less physical strength than men, so speed, defensive training, and one-shot weapons (pepper spray, lit cigarette) are better choices for women who do not want to receive training with guns or other weapons.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Buy a small can of Raid wasp and hornet spray. Cheaper than mace or pepper spray, shoots to 25' away.

I actually carry a small handgun, but can't comment on that or the trolls will get the thread locked........again.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    My Conceal Carry permit gives me peace of mind.