56 yo man, need to lose 45lbs. How do you do it?

Options
Hi,
This post is being written by the daughter of the man who needs to lose weight. He is my dad. He is 56 and needs to lose at least 45lbs. I am helping him. He has trouble keeping a food diary, so I am working on keeping it up for him, and I'm coaching him to eat right and exercise.
I'm hoping to find some men in a similar situation who have open diaries or who are at least willing to share some tips about how to eat right, exercise, and stay motivated to lose weight.
We've made a plan where he'll lose 2lbs/week for the first 20lbs, then gradually lose the rest.
I will be keeping his diary open, sharing his plan, and recording his progress. Please add us!
Thanks,
Rachel
for Kevin (Dad)

Replies

• 1RBelle512
    1RBelle512 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm not really in the same situation, but I try to be a supportive and intelligent friend. You can add if you like. All the best!
  • ABlessedMan
    Options
    He is fortunate to have such a daughter as you. I have struggled for years, losing weight and then gaining it back, losing, gaining. so the last several years I have tried to get serious, but found calorie counting an incredible chore. However, since I came across this site, a diary is so much easier to maintain. I have lost 10 pounds in a little over 3 weeks with diet and exercise. Feel free to add me if you wish as I try to be an encouragement as others have been to me on this site. Best wishes to you Kevin.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you planning - and how is that going so far?
  • WhiteCoc0
    WhiteCoc0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You can add me. I am not 56 years old, but I am pretty helpful with my own parents with losing weight and I am very supportive.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    same way anyone does it. age dont matter.

eat decent food at a slight caloric deficit

start walking and moving more.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    This post is being written by the daughter of the man who needs to lose weight. He is my dad. He is 56 and needs to lose at least 45lbs. I am helping him. He has trouble keeping a food diary, so I am working on keeping it up for him, and I'm coaching him to eat right and exercise.
    I'm hoping to find some men in a similar situation who have open diaries or who are at least willing to share some tips about how to eat right, exercise, and stay motivated to lose weight.
    We've made a plan where he'll lose 2lbs/week for the first 20lbs, then gradually lose the rest.
    I will be keeping his diary open, sharing his plan, and recording his progress. Please add us!
    Thanks,
    Rachel
    for Kevin (Dad)

Ooh sweetie, I see this ending in tears 'cos you're crossing boundries. He's your Dad, he's an autonomous adult. He doesn't need to use technology to track his eating and exercise but he really does need to do it on his own motivation and under his own steam (with support and encouragement, but not someone doing it for him).

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but this post just raises warning bells for me, suggesting possible codependency.

Look after yourself, remember he is not your responsibility and if he wants to eat himself to death, you can't stop him (sorry, but it's true). Have you involved outside experts i.e. his Doctor, a good nutritionist, a good therapist?

Again, really not trying to be hurtful, just concerned for you, based on what you've posted.

Best of luck.
  • KHill511
    KHill511 Posts: 2
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you planning - and how is that going so far?

Since he has a recent leg injury, the only exercise really feasible right now is swimming. He also does super-slow weight lifting once per week.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Ooh sweetie, I see this ending in tears 'cos you're crossing boundries. He's your Dad, he's an autonomous adult. He doesn't need to use technology to track his eating and exercise I'm not trying to rain on your parade but this post just raises warning bells for me, suggesting possible codependency.

OMG!

first...he doesnt need technology to track food and exercise? what are you doing here then?

co dependency? good grief...this is one of the worst posts I have ever seen here

OP...ignore this post
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options

first...he doesnt need technology to track food and exercise? what are you doing here then?

THIS
  • 1RBelle512
    1RBelle512 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks,
    Rachel
    for Kevin (Dad)

Ooh sweetie, I see this ending in tears 'cos you're crossing boundries. He's your Dad, he's an autonomous adult. He doesn't need to use technology to track his eating and exercise but he really does need to do it on his own motivation and under his own steam (with support and encouragement, but not someone doing it for him).

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but this post just raises warning bells for me, suggesting possible codependency.

Look after yourself, remember he is not your responsibility and if he wants to eat himself to death, you can't stop him (sorry, but it's true). Have you involved outside experts i.e. his Doctor, a good nutritionist, a good therapist?

Again, really not trying to be hurtful, just concerned for you, based on what you've posted.

Best of luck.

To clarify: He is motivated to do it, and he is participating, he just gets too frustrated with the MFP software to keep up. Since I've been doing it for a while, I offered to help him with logging and coach him.
    Granted, it is going to be difficult, but I'm hopeful.
    I am actually looking into become a good nutritionist/therapist, but you are right, I should get an outside expert involved as well.