post workout snack ideas?

Options
hi community!

ideas for quick and easy snacks one can buy quickly or bring from home to office desk?

thanks!

Replies

• Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Almonds!! I love lime 'n chilli flavored almonds.
    Also if you can find a really healthy energy bar. I stay away from the ones that have sugar (sucrose, fructose... anything ending in "ose" is usually sugar) in the first five ingredients. Also avoid the yogurt covered ones as the yogurt is also mostly sugar.
  • chef_michelle
    Options
    some good ones floated around the office when i asked around - got some roasted fava beans, edamame with vinagrette, apple with pb.

think a good old half a sandwich might be the best trick!

im sooo hungry - c'mon dinnertime!!
  • mitchipooo
    mitchipooo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like a Luna bar post workout, little bit of carbs, little bit of protein and so yummy.
  • desireedare
    Options
    post workout, you need fast digesting carbs and protein!

the fastest digesting carb is sugar. so any fruit is good after a workout.. here's a few of my favorite post-workout meals

Cheerios Banana Nut cereal with almond milk and a protein shake

Protein shake with 1 banana blended in

half a toasted bagel with honey and a protein shake

pineapple, watermelon, or blueberries and a protein shake (or mixed in the protein shake)
  • sshook990
    sshook990 Posts: 284
    Options
    chocolate milk is good for post workout recovery but for snack i would go for something high in protein and low in carbs, i eat cliff builder bars.
  • Drevious
    Drevious Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk is good for post workout recovery

Actually the experts say that chocolate milk is the absolute best thing to have after a workout. It has protein to rebuild muscle and is actually high in carbs too!
  • mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I like protein heavy cookies and peanut butter sandwiches.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Luna bars or peanut butter sandwich. : )
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    protein bars
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    When I was going to school I would pack my bag full of snacks. I would bring cheese and crackers, string cheese, carrots and hummus dip, apples (super easy to bring), bananas (not so easy for me cause they would get squished in my bag lol)... if you have a refrigerator at your work you could bring anything you want, really. Tupperware is an amazing thing.

I responded to your OP not your title.. they are two different things. Or do you mean, what are some things to eat after lunch break workout? Lol. I usually have my little protein "shake" after I work out. it's just a scoop of chocolate protein powder in milk. Basically chocolate milk but with more protein.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk! Excellent recovery drink, not to mention delicious!
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Almonds!! I love lime 'n chilli flavored almonds.
    Also if you can find a really healthy energy bar. I stay away from the ones that have sugar (sucrose, fructose... anything ending in "ose" is usually sugar) in the first five ingredients. Also avoid the yogurt covered ones as the yogurt is also mostly sugar.

Almonds are great! Also sweet potatoes can easily be heated up in the microwave and provide a great source of carbs for working out and it somewhat filling!
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i have oatmeal with fruit, or a banana blended with soy or almond milk with hemp, flax, or chia seeds
  • CourtneyHollinger
    CourtneyHollinger Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    To work I take an apple, celery with peanut butter, and 1 serving of wheat thins, but I only work 4.5 hours a day. (preschool)
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I like Cliffs Builder Bars, too ... but my favorite is a good ole fashioned PB&J. Easy to make the day before.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Big Glass of Chocolate Milk!!!! or Protein Shake.....
  • Jojo1859
    Jojo1859 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    cliff bars, fruits, nuts, yogurt, string cheese, avacado

All on my list of good post workout snacks :)
  • I like chocolate milk too - 2 cups of skim with 2 tbsp sugar free quik :)
  • msmindylee
    msmindylee Posts: 61
    Options
    A trainer that I worked with said that one needs 20g of protein within 45 minutes after working out to help with muscle recovery (minimizing soreness, etc.). I like to have some egg white & cheese, which I zap in the microwave at work, and serve on a whole grain tortilla or thin bun, sometimes with some zesty salsa.

Builder's bars are very convenient and have the right amount of protein.
  • desireedare
    Options
    The problem with all of these selections is that most of them aren't fast digesting carbohydrates. Eggs digest very very slowly... which is not the type of protein you need after a workout.. you need a hydrosolate protein.. which is usually found in powder form. Also, the fastest digesting carb is sugar.. anything high in sugar is PERFECT within 30 minutes after exercise because the body needs to restore glycogen. Pineapple, berries, white breads, HONEY, are all forms of fast digesting carbohydrate that will be used up by the muscles as soon as possible.

Taken from bodybuilding.com

"Glycogen replenishment is absolutely critical after a workout, which means that you need to focus on carbohydrate intake. However, you don't need EXCESSIVE carbs, ever, post-workout or at any other time. But, you do want to take in carbs after you train for several reasons.

First, we do want to replenish your glycogen stores so that your now suppressed energy levels don't make the rest of your day (or night) a study in lethargy.

Second, and perhaps most importantly, carbohydrates elevate insulin levels, which is the hormone responsible for the transport of carbs and amino acids into the muscle cell.

Given that the post-workout goal is to elevate insulin through the use of carbohydrates, you'll want to consume high-glycemic carbs post workout. Examples of high glycemics include white rice, baked potatoes, bagels, instant oatmeal and white flour pastas."