Hi All, New to MFP, Dr's Orders!

Options
Hi all,

I'm Dan, in San Diego. I'm 36. Weigh in around 275 (fluctuating around 275-285 for about 2 years or so). My doc told me my triglicerides are high and she'd like to see me down in weight (me too, haha). She recommended MFP to me and I love it. I love the adage that "If it gets monitored, It gets managed". I have a mostly desk job, I travel a fair amount for work, but not too active.

Here's a little recent history affecting my fitness level. First, I am a junk-food junky. A real addict. Not easy to say it, but it's easier since I've come to terms with it. I have no will-power when it comes to sweets. I have to avoid it at all costs, no moderation.
I was hitting the gym regularly for half a year in 2010, but then I had a gall-stone. Gallbladder out, it took me a while to get back up and moving normally again, even though it was supposed to be a mild surgery.
Then my foot started acting up, I thought it was repetitive stress from commuting 100miles with a manual, but as driving habbits changed and what not the pain did not. Also switches feet sometimes, sorry, not the clutch. The crappy part is, I love to walk and hike (my favorite exercises), and long story short, my foot pain is sometimes debilitating to where I can't walk.

Anyhow, up to the most recent - my last Dr. visit he said it was not tendinitis or faciaitis, because those won't cause the swelling we were seeing. So it might be Arthritis or "Migratory Arthropathy" and he gave me 5 days of Prednisone to test his theory. Well, I went from being a gimp on Thursday, to playing hacky-sack with my son on Father's Day!

Now I am determined to not let my issues get in the way of my continued progress toward becoming more fit. MFP, has been so remarkable, since it allows me to track what I eat, when I eat whether at home or in the office (and its easy) I look forward to seeing a lot of consistency and motivation using this tool. My daughter is using it too, so that is fun!

Anyway, thanks for reading! Take care.

--Dan

Replies

• sessalee
    sessalee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm new as well! I had my gallbladder out in 2007 - did everyone before your surgery tell you that you'd be up and about the next day? No problems? They were all liars! I felt like hell for weeks. Anyone I know having the surgery, I tell them the full and complete truth.

I'm adding you as a friend. Good luck!
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    When I got my gall bladder out everyone told me you'll never be constipated again... WRONG.

Anyway... I also have no willpower with sweets the best thing for me is to keep them out of the house. I will admit that I bought some Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches but I told myself I can only eat them with my "exercise" calories. I guess we'll see!!
  • sapienti
    sapienti Posts: 17
    Options
    thanks fellow cholecystectomers! now I know I'm not just a wimp! hehe.
  • Excellentia
    Excellentia Posts: 182
    Options
    Well THERE'S motivation for ya! I don't have that kind of story as far as injuries are concerned, but I do need to lose weight and I'm a food junkie. My choice of drug: Red Velvet Cupcakes! I think without them I'd be this: :explode: ! But now that I've found a strategic way to STILL get them, I'm like this: :bigsmile: .

On the real, I'm still finding out what works and doesn't work for me. I'm no gym rat by any means, but I DO love working out with my Wii. I've seen many people on here that do the same, but the trick is to keep moving for at least 30 minutes a day, which is currently the challenge I've issued to my friends. And you'll see results! Feel free to add me! :flowerforyou:
  • mboktay
    mboktay Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    One of the keys to MFP is making friends and having that support. I'll go and request to friend you. If okay with you I'll ask my current friends to go find you too!
  • YankeesLvr52
    YankeesLvr52 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi Dan, from another Dan. Read your story with interest. If you need a friend and some support and motivation, please feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck on your journey and best of luck with the foot. :glasses:
  • loriwarner
    loriwarner Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making it to MFP! :) I love it here; if you put in the time to post, and keep coming back, there is amazing support and motivation! These people are all here for the same reason! It's wonderful and uplifting. (Sometimes these things are not easy to talk about with people who aren't facing the same issues.)

I'm also 36, and I have a similar weight loss goal. In addition to that, I have similar issues with my foot! It started in January, it's on the top of my foot, but no swelling. I limped around, added arch supports (It didn't help!) and then my knee blew out two months ago (previous injury-it's susceptible). Limping! About the time my knee starts feeling better, my back seized up, and now I am a total MESS! AAAAGGGH! So frustrated that I let myself re-gain the weight I worked so hard to lose 3 years ago. Hating my body, and eager to start working out, yet I need to focus on healing. Luckily, I think I'm on the right path. I've been working with a chiropractor, a physical therapist, and tomorrow I meet a new doctor (muscle relaxers, please!) and x-rays Wednesday. We're working on strengthening my core, and stretching. I'm excited to be sweating, and NOT adding additional pain to my knee, foot, or back. I just don't think I'd be in this situation if I wasn't carrying around all this weight.

Good luck on your adventure to the new you! :drinker: (yeah, that's beer, and those calories have gone to obscene places!! Hee hee!)
  • nikitakade
    Options
    Welcome to mfp ... :) I wish you the best of luck, losing weight isn't the easiest of tasks, especially when you have a taste for junk food, but with honesty I can say once you stop eating the junk and bring in some fresh fruit and actually savour the fresh taste and the colours you will go back to a burger and throw it in the bin, as your taste buds are worthy of better. I had my gall bladder removed in january this year, prior I wasn't allowed to eat ANYTHING! nothing with fat in or complicated so, biscuits, chocolate, alcohol, coffee, tea, butter, cheese, crisps, ice cream, no spreads, no frying, no nuts or seeds, no jarred sauces (they contain oils) even milk..... you get the point, I thought I was going to starve! and if there was one thing I learned very quickly, it was to find a diet that was beyond most peoples realms of healthy and I eat healthy already, but if your doctor tells you to change and you feel medically for your own health you need to, you will find the will power and the way as I did for 6 months.
    So truly the best of luck, believe you will succeed and focus on the positive results.
  • purpleporker
    Options
    hi im new to mfp!!! and have started atkins ! am not a junk food addict but bread for me is like honey to a bee ha ha i have noticed dont really feel hungry on this diet and i know its weird eating all the protein but it has actually lowered my cholestral!! i have also been told to lose weight and have about 5 stone to lose ! think this site is amazing lots of peeps in the same situation!!!! well good luck its always good to talk to like weighted people ha ha !!!!:smile:
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Well, your Dr is right....this is a great place to be! I also had my GB taken out a few years ago, so I know what you mean. Welcome :)
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    just do it for yourself and stick to the plan as much as you can, you will be fine. People have had their lives change because of this tool (myself included!)....

And if you ever fall off the wagon, just pick yourself up and get back on!

Good luck!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey! If you are willing to provide support, I am more than willing to give it! Feel free to add me!
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!!! I, too, have no gallbladder... Took it out earlier this year. Said I would be: **and I QUOTE** "Up and eating cheeseburgers within just a few days". Yeah, no... not so much. Greasy foods bother the crap outta me.

In fact, it took me about 2 weeks to feel even somewhat normal... the gas that they use to pump your abdomen up so they can easily move your organs around really jacked me up... for a while.

But MFP is awesome! There's recipes... and funny people... and you track your exercise and calories... so many resources :).

It's awesome. The more weight I lose, the easier it is to move around. The easier it is to move around, the more I WANT to move around, and the more I want to actually move around, the more weight comes off. Finally, a good cycle to be stuck in :)
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hi Dan, welcome to MFP.

I started out where you are now at 275, and I'm a few (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it) years older than you are. I think you're on the right path, and that keeping an accurate account of what you're eating is the most important thing you can do. We all like to just guess and eyeball things, but it's amazing how good we are at self-deception.

Oh, and my triglycerides have dropped a lot. I started out at some ridiculously high number, and I'm hoping to be in the healthy range in my upcoming bloodwork.
  • Rockin_Robyn
    Rockin_Robyn Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Sweet lover here, learning to do without or substitute :tongue: