Need help with Protein

Options
I need help coming up with more protein foods. I am having a really hard time getting my protein numbers up. I don't want to do the shakes and stuff, I am not a body builder (look at my pic) I want to eat healthy and have a more balanced diet.:happy:

Replies

• KatNunya
    KatNunya Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Fa-ge fat free greek yogurt is super dense in protein and very low in calories. Try it with fresh berries or a banana. I eat it with lots of cinnamon, 1/2 a banana and 1 tbs honey and it is divine. Hard boiled eggs are excellent protein/low cal andg great added to your green salad and use cottage cheese as your 'dressing' which is even more protein. There there is baked or grilled fish, or chicken.
  • Aleta2
    Aleta2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had a dietician who up'd my protein intake and gave me a list of protein choices. Here are some foods from the Protein list -

Meat & Tofu (chicken, fish, lean red meats)
    Eggs
    Dairy - cottage cheese, greek yogurt, ricotta, feta, mozzarella (low or non fat)
    Milk - skim, soy, almond
    beans

and I also use the Whey Protein drink powder, I'm no body builder either but it helps to fill you up. I make fruit shakes w/the whey & freeze them in 5-6 containers and have one each morning w/a greek yogurt for breakfast.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Turkey or chicken jerky, low fat string cheese. I also am not a body building but on the days that I limit carbs but still want a sweet treat, I make a shake with almond milk, 1% milk, all natural PB and scoop of protein powder and 1/2 banana YUM!!! :happy:
  • lmbw126
    lmbw126 Posts: 24
    Options
    There are a lot of great suggestions posted here already. Learn to eat a protein with every meal. If you already spacing your meals have protein at breakfast, midafternoon snack, lunch, midafternoon snack, dinner. Try to divide your total grams of protein throughout the day. Good luck.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with using whey to add protein to your diet. One scoop is around 120 calories and 25 grams of protein.
  • nancyki
    nancyki Posts: 46
    Options
    Great suggestions. Think I will try the yogurt and add cottage cheese to my shopping list :) I like canned tuna for protein. Also, canned salmon added to scrambled eggs.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with this myself. My trainer wants to to shoot for a minimum of 100g of protein a day!!

Sometimes I will need to grab a protein bar(Pure Protien Bars have 20g and takes like a chocolate bar!), but most of the time I'm able to get hit that 100g mark with "regular" foods.

I eat lean protein(chicken, turkey or tuna), eggs, turkey bacon, cottage cheese, amd greek yogurt just about everyday. You can also find some protein in things like spinach and nuts!

Feel free to take a peek at my diary for ideas. My breakfast is typically eggbeaters omlette with turkey bacon or canadian bacon.
    Lunch is usually chicken breast(Tyson frozen already cooked breast UBER convenient), or tuna/chicken salad and some veggies. Then dinner is usually whatever I feed the family - protein, veggie and carb(though I usually skip the carb altogether).

It takes some getting used to, but like anything else repetative, you can make a new habit of eating like this and it won't feel so hard to do.

Good Luck!
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with using whey to add protein to your diet. One scoop is around 120 calories and 25 grams of protein.

Wow! I need to get some whey protein.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options

^^ This, protein powder is not just for bodybuilders
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    As others have said, protein powders are just protein. Some have a lot of carbs as well, but lots don't. Still, it's perfectly reasonable to want to get protein from whole food sources.

try roasted soy nuts as a snack. The brand I eat has 7g fat, 9g carbs, and 10g protein per serving. it's a pretty good balance.
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    U don't need to be a bodybuilder to drink protein drinks. it's a great, easy way to get your protein up. That said, i only drink them occasionally but still manage to eat about 125+ grams of protein a day. I eat eggs, string cheese, cottage cheese, Fage greek yogurt, protein bars and meats. Good luck in upping your protein :)
  • nyteyz82
    nyteyz82 Posts: 43
    Options
    All the suggestions above are great. just be carefull with the eggs, protein is found in the whites not the yolks, eating to many yolks will increase cholesterol. (I know this cause my cholesterol is high and doc told me to cut egg yolks)

egg white omelet with some spinach (i also add half a scoop of lo carb protein powder) absolutely Delicious and also very filling
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I am going to try these suggestions.