Female related issues

Options
This is slightly embarrassing but I wanted to see if anyone else is having similar struggles? Every time I start to lose weight my menstrual cycle starts to freak out.
Whenever I get upset or stressed my period comes regardless of what point I am in my cycle then it last for weeks. This happened to me 4 years ago (in which I bled for 3 months straight) when I lost a lot of weight and it is now happening to me again :/

any similar stories or any ideas on what is wrong?

Replies

• mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    you should prob speak with your doctor, regardless of weight loss this is not normal and could be a symptom of a larger problem
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    A period for 3 months straight warrants a trip to the doctor.

Periods will disappear with low body fat. Basically your body can no longer function enough to produce a period. That is also worthy of a trip to the doctor.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite problem, mine stops when I'm stressed out. It also stopped when I came on MFP and it set me on a VLCD. I upped my calories and never had the problem since.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I've been almost a year without one now, and have gone to the doctor twice. :( You're not alone!
  • LeeshaNichole
    LeeshaNichole Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked out for PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) I have that and I have had periods last for months at a time. I would go to a doctor and see what they say cause it is by no mean normal to have a period last for three months. Plus, it cause a lot of issues. Hope you get it figure out, good luck! :smile:
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Totally not normal - see your Dr.
  • junepinktigger
    junepinktigger Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem but after a long period i can go without one for ages, i since had a trip to doctors and tests and and said that its just my cycle and to keep a diary, i have been given meds for the pains, as the others have said maybe just a drop in at the doctors can also put your mind at rest x
  • jezmarie89
    jezmarie89 Posts: 120
    Options
    ive had similar issues and diagnosed with hypermenorrhagia.. My doc said it could be because of hormonal and/or nutritional problems... But id still go to the gyno to make sure because its not supposed to last over 2 months.
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I had that problem, but it was because I was on Implanon. Got rid of it, now I'm more normal than I've ever been in that department. Are you on any type of BC?
  • smuckyrun
    smuckyrun Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Go get checked out! I havent had mine in a year since i had the Novasure done due to problems.
  • rjams
    rjams Posts: 48
    Options
    You guys are right, 4 years ago my Doctor didn't seem concerned but perhaps this Doctor will have answers! I am on bc but it is a different type than the one I had 4 years ago. and the year and half I have been on this pill except the past 2 months I haven't had a period. obviously I need to make sure things are okay!
  • complicatedmoves
    complicatedmoves Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This is slightly embarrassing but I wanted to see if anyone else is having similar struggles? Every time I start to lose weight my menstrual cycle starts to freak out.
    Whenever I get upset or stressed my period comes regardless of what point I am in my cycle then it last for weeks. This happened to me 4 years ago (in which I bled for 3 months straight) when I lost a lot of weight and it is now happening to me again :/

any similar stories or any ideas on what is wrong?

Def go to a doctor. I had a friend who had a cycle for 3 months, due to the birth control she was using. They swithced it, and her period stopped almost immediately. Go get it checked out asap.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    That stinks! I'm on the pill, but it's a very low dosage so if I miss it by even like an hour or two I'll most likely see spotting... I've also had to be on steroids several times for my asthma, and each time that happens I get my period for like at least 2 weeks!!! >:(

As for weight-loss related issues... I've never had that. I did have a friend who lost probably 20lbs and didn't see her period again for 6 months- when she regained all the weight again. I would assume she lost the weight unhealthily (very low calories) so her body freaked out. Have you tried a more moderate calorie deficit? Maybe that would help? It will be slower losses, but it will be more sustainable...