Okay to continue exercise at same level if pregnant

Options
For the last few weeks, my weight has been staying pretty constant. I was expecting my menstrual cycle, as now I have it tracked to the exact day (which I've never done before). Long story short, test is positive. We are going to retest in a few hours as I used a test that is 3 years old (saved from last time!).

My question is, do you guys think I can continue with my exercise as I have been doing for the past 2 months? I am currently doing Jillian Micheal's Body Revolution, I'm on week 8 now and lost 10lbs so far from when I started to loose weight beginning of April. I really like this program and I intended to continue to do it in cycles over and over, its super fun!

I am assuming I should probably up my calorie intake to at least my maintenance calories. I will be consulting with my midwife as soon as possible, but in the meantime I don't think I can stop working out as its just become part of my day and will feel weird if I don't finish out this program!

Replies

• Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it's good/preferable to continue exercising, but that the exercise has to be appropriate for how pregnant you are and how well your pregnancy is going. Having done some of the body revolution (I got to about where you are before an injury set me back), I might suggest scaling back once you're in your second trimester, possibly earlier. Maybe have your midwife watch the videos so that she can see the type of moves you'll be doing (she might be able to suggest alternatives that would be more appropriate).

I don't remember what they're called, because I'm not pregnant, but there are workout videos out there (that aren't just yoga videos) for pregnant women. There was one at Target that had different workouts for the three trimesters.

Edit: Omg, I'm a dork - also, congratulations on your pregnancy! :)
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    These questions are better left to the dr.
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should switch to yoga, or something not so high stamina for now. I'm not trying to dicourage you, and I really do wish you the best. Good luck!
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I would ask your ob - I know when I was preg with #2 mine said I could cont what I was doing with some modifications esp with ab only workouts and some weights machines like the leg press were off limits. I would definitally take it up with your doc and if needed take a list of the workouts that you do and routines and see what he/she says
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I personally would not suggest intense exercise while pregnant. I thought it was ok to do when I was pregnant with my second child. At 13 weeks I suffered from a severe hemorrhage caused by my working out- my placenta tore from my uterus and I suffered massive bleeding and nearly lost my son. I was on bed rest for the remainder of my pregnancy because it wouldn't heal.

Better safe than sorry. Stick with no incline walking and yoga for pregnancy.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    These questions are better left to the dr.

^ this...or midwife, doula, etc

you can still exercise but at what intensity depends on many factors consult your OBGYN, midwife, and/or doula
  • birdslikearms
    birdslikearms Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I really love yoga, so I wouldn't mind only doing that for a while. I am okay with not jumping around a lot, because those are the hardest moves, but if I am preggo I've been so for a few weeks and I've been doing high stamina that entire time. I know Netflix has some pregnant exercise videos I looked at a bit ago to just see what they were like, but they seem so tame compared to what I'm used to now.

I have only 5 more weeks in Body Revolution, so maybe I can finish it out if I don't go hardcore. If not I'll start over again after baby comes and go all the way.
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Well, congrats!

I'm 4 months along and my doctor told me that I could continue exercising (at the time I was doing the C25K program) as long as my heart rate was 140 and under. Apparently, above that, oxygen doesn't get to the baby like it should. I suggest investing in a heart rate monitor if you don't have one. BUT, consult your own doctor who knows your patterns and/or can advise you as to the specific exercise. I personally chose to stop exercising as food was my enemy (just couldn't swallow anything that didn't sound 100% yummy-licious). When I exercise I get starvingly hungry and I was already having issues eating enough to fuel my own body let alone, create a baby. I kept walking and such but nothing like I was doing before.

All the best to you and your new little one!
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My doc said to eat my maintenance calories. He also said that keep working out but to keep it easy enough so that I can talk easily while working out. I found some prenatal Pilates videos on youtube that are pretty cool. I was doing turbofire and my heart rate was wayyyyy to high. Congratulations!!!
  • stephl81
    stephl81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor first and foremost. I continued exercising until I was 9 months pregnant. I did things such as body combat (mixed martial arts class), body pump (weight lifting class), spin, and walking 4 miles at a very brisk pace. Some workouts became physically impossible cuz of my belly, like getting on and off the spin bike and doing a barbell row cuz my belly was in the way. So I just walked my last month of pregnancy. The rule of thumb as far as calories is to increase your intake by 300 calories per day, you are not technically eat for two but you def dont want to under eat either. I also bought a heart rate monitor to make sure my heart rate didnt get too high (there is a heart rate max for preg ladies but cant remember what) , although I was used to such intense exercising that it was hard to keep it low. One more thing, after 4 months of pregnancy is not recommended to lay flat on your back doing exercises such as abs so I had to motify doing my abs on the ball. the compression of your belly blocks blood flow to your baby! hope that helps!
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations!

I go to a fairly liberal OBGYN, so they seem more open about these topics. I was getting into running when I found out. They told me that if my body was used to that amount of work and my heartrate did not go over 140, I should be fine. I was also told to be careful of what activities you choose as you could fall farther if on a bicycle or induce a fever if you were to do hot yoga, but if these are fairly safe workouts and your body is used to it, then they should be safe.

I never really got far into the first tri before the constant nausea set in and prevented me from maintaining those workouts. So of course you should discuss this with a Dr or your midwife. Of course you should make the adequate allotments to meet your macros. Of course you should be more cautious of your safety. More than anything just listen to your body. If there is something "telling" you not to workout one day over the next, just relax instead. So congratulations, I'm sure you'll find what works best for you.
  • birdslikearms
    birdslikearms Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your quick & helpful responses! I was feeling very weird about it this morning, my mind is on a certain track for loosing weight and I was having a hard time thinking about adjusting it. I did want to have another baby, but wanted to reach my goal weight first!

I've been wanting a heart monitor for awhile, so I will look more into those and find out the exact number I need to stay under while pregnant. I am thinking the Body Revolution cardio will probably be way too intense to continue but maybe parts of the weight exercises will be okay -- which is my favorite part and I don't want to give up weights!
  • kelsafish
    kelsafish Posts: 39
    Options
    Congrats! As with everyone else, I recommend speaking to the doctor, OB, etc. I'm currently TTC (trying to conceive) and from what I've read, moderate intensity exercise is OK but vigorous exercise can contribute to lower fertility (not a concern for you but one for me) and increased risk of miscarriage. It is my understanding that walking, light weights, yoga, and pilates are the best when you are pregnant. There are modifications for weights, yoga, and pilates that accommodate the growing baby. Best wishes!