First Cruise & I need advice on navigating the food maze

Options
I am preparing for my first cruise. The main thing that people talk about is THE FOOD. Lots and lots of food! Day & night, FOOD. I’d like to hear from anyone who has been on a cruise and navigated successfully through the food maze without putting on a bunch of weight.

Have an awesome day!

Replies

• Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    for breakfast i say stick with the made to order omelette station so you can control what goes in it. fruits etc there is sugar and bread everywhere at bfast though.
    the juice stations are also sugar bombs i say go half and half if u must half juice half water (that's what i did and did not feel deprived)

for lunch again i say stick to the made to order stations if you can't or don't like the options then just choose whatever protein you do like and pile on the veggies instead of the pastas and such

Just like eating out its more balance and making good choices. if you have a day where you eat everything and anything just remember you're on a vacation. Also they do have gyms on the boat and a walking / jogging track.

OVER ALL ENJOY UR SELF.
  • Kathrynha77
    Kathrynha77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruit and veg will help you, and at the buffet put the fruit and veg on your plate first so you can't totally fill it with bad stuff. At buffets I try to make sure 1/3 of my plate is fruit or veg.
    Also filling out sugary drinks with ice makes them go further.
    Basically you can have everything, just not too much of it

But remember, it's your holiday, so enjoy it!
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You can be good on a cruise and I am proof. I was in the same boat as you taking my first cruise and losing weight and didn't want to gain anything back. I made good choices at every meal and would only take a bit or 2 of dessert. I did not log in and track as I was in the Carribean but when I came back I had lost 2 lbs! My Mom had told me I would easily gain 10. It took will power but I did it & so can you. Good luck!
  • blesdchile
    blesdchile Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I'll make sure to keep the end mind. It's funny, for years, I hear more about the food on a cruise than the actual cruise!
  • blesdchile
    Options
    Thank you!
  • blesdchile
    Options
    WOW! Now that's my goal. I see a lot of fitness opportunities on board. That will help keep me in balance.

Thanks a bunch!
  • boston89
    boston89 Posts: 10
    Options
    I just got back from a cruise this past friday. For breakfast i went to the omelette stations and had egg whites with peppers, mushrooms etc. along with fruit. I had coffee or water all the time. Lunches i mainly stuck to the meats and seafood. I had chicken and some salad along with fruit on most days. Dinner was a little challenge because we mainly ate at the sit down dinners. But they have many options and you can request for your meals to be prepared differently. They always have some sort of fish dish which is what i ate most nights (Salmon with spinach and some roasted potatoes)..

I came back and weighted myself and did not gain anything so i think that is pretty good. Hope this helps and you have a great time!